VSN Presents: S91 Review & Predictions Trade deadline Week (WK4)

gaikoku-weeklyreview.jpg?ex=656b2076&is=

Graphic made by the one and only @leandrofg

Scary to think we have less than 20 game remaining when this should hit press later this week. It has been an interesting week with some big games so unexpected movement in the order from the top of the league and the bottom of the league so let’s get into the current standings and my predictions last week; shall we?

North American Conference

Standings                                         Record                 Points                     Last WK                                  Prediction Last Wk                        

1.     :la:    Los Angeles Stars               34-14-4               72pts                    (10-4-0)                         🟰    1st     North American Conference

2.     :tor:  Toronto Legion                     33-18-1                67pts                    (13-1-0)                         🔺    3rd     North American Conference

3.     :chi:  Chicago Phoenix                  25-13-13              63pts                     (4-2-7)                         🔻    2nd    North American Conference

4.     :dcd:   D.C. Dragons                        24-23-5               53pts                     (9-5-0)                         🔺    6th     North American Conference

5.     :cal:   Calgary Wranglers              22-23-7                51pts                     (8-6-0)                         🔺    7th    North American Conference

6.     :nya:   New York Americans          22-27-4                48pts                     (6-6-2)                         🔻    4th    North American Conference

7.     :sea:    Seattle Bears                       20-25-7                47pts                     (4-7-2)                         🔻    5th    North American Conference

8.     :que:    Vancouver Wolves             16-29-7                 39pts                    (3-10-1)                        🟰    8th    North American Conference

Summary: Jumped on board the American hype train and that lead to nowhere town as they played average hockey and let this writer down. Toronto took the challenge of winning ten games seriously by losing a single game this week to leapfrog Chicago. D.C. and Calgary finally seem like teams that want to make the play-offs. Vancouver is coasting to the draft and Seattle has fallen back (expectedly) unexpectedly? Play-off spots looked pretty much determined but anyone guess who will claim the two wildcard spots with four teams within six points of each other.

European Conference

Standings                                           Record                 Points                      Last Wk                                Prediction Last Wk                   

1.     :rig:   Riga Reign                               38-11-3                79pts                      (9-2-2)                       🟰     1st      European Conference

2.     :mal:  Malmo Nighthawks                35-13-5                75pts                      (7-4-3)                      🟰     2nd     European Conference

3.     :ldn:  London United                        33-12-7                 73pts                      (9-3-1)                      🟰     3rd      European Conference

4.     :dav:  HC Davos Dynamo                 33-12-7                  73pts                     (9-5-0)                      🟰     4th      European Conference

5.     :hel:  Helsinki Titans                       30-20-2                  62pts                     (6-7-0)                      🟰     5th      European Conference

6.     :prg:  Prague Phantoms                 24-21-6                   54pts                     (3-7-3)                      🟰     6th      European Conference

7.     :mos:   Moscow Menace                   14-30-7                   35pts                     (6-6-0)                     🔺      8th      European Conference

8.     :war:  Warsaw Predators                 12-36-3                   27pts                     (2-10-1)                    🔺      7th      European Conference

Summary: Moscow are the winners of Battle of Last as they won two of the three games against Warsaw this week but also managed to upset the falling Titans otherwise the conference of death was rather predictable last week. Will that be the case this week as the four play-off teams can all actually win the Victory Cup and play-off seeding is on the line. Can Prague catch the falling Titans to claim the last wildcard spot?

This week’s predictions:

VHLLogocopy3.jpg.95e68ea1581c233e71ee8f0d754d326d.jpg

North American Conference

🔺                  1.     4rgbBt7.png

Reason: While the team is five points back of current conference leader Los Angeles; Toronto heads into the week as the hottest team in the league and no reason at the moment to see that they should cool off considering the easy schedule as they start the week with New York(2), Moscow(2) but also face some stiff challenges with London(2), Riga(2) and HC Davos(2). I am assuming that Toronto will earn splits against the European teams so should hold their own. Joel Castle @animal74 (2.12GA, 0.936% & 2SO) has really come a live as the season has progressed after his slow start to the season. Clearly the teams MVP as scoring has cooled slightly from Mac Atlas @v.2 (32-32-64pts) and Jimi Jaks @ke1vi (28-35-63pts) but shouldn`t really be that big of a concern as they are tied for fifth in the league with 155 GF while teams defense is currently the best in the league only allowing 119GA. Five points is a lot to make up but based on last week they should be able to leapfrog Los Angeles this week.

🔻                  2.     q3DUJNE.png

Reason: Similar schedule as Toronto with games against Riga(2), London(2),Malmo(2) and HC Davos so even with a split against the European teams they should be just above five hundred this week. Also let me say I am not confident moving them down as it should only be a few points between Toronto and the Stars by the end of the week. Sunglasses Joyo @JetsGoalie101 (27-58-85pts), Larry Abass Jr @RileyL(35-38-73pts) and Todd Cooke @KRZY (30-38-68pts) continue to lead Los Angeles high flying offense as the team currently leads the league in offense with 184GF while a bit concerning would be 6th best defensive numbers giving up 137GA. Art Vandelay @Gustav (2.39GA, 0.928% & 3SO) has been good but will need to be great down the stretch if the team will claim the North American Conference.

🟰                    3.     LZX5Px1.png

Reason: While I don`t think they play much over five hundred; Chicago should improve upon last week horrible record and having a ten-point lead over the chasing teams means Chicago is really locked into the 3rd place in the North American Conference barring a complete collapse; that is unlikely. Rookie Ryan Artyomov @Enorama (2.78GA, 0.926% & 1SO) is having a nice little rookie season that he will hope to build upon heading into the play-offs. Scotty Sundin @fromtheinside (36-42-78pts) continues to defy the odds and sits top 10 in scoring. Concern stat at the moment for Chicago is the negative goal differential as it currently sits at -10. Can the improve this number via a trade or simply let the dice roll for the remained of the season?  

🟰                     4.     0beFNki.png

Reason: It will be hard to see any movement through the middle of the North American Conference as all the teams seem to play right around five hundred hockey overall but coming off a 9-5-0 that seen the Dragons move up in the standing as Seattle free fell means combined with a weaker schedule with Warsaw(4), Moscow(2), Seattle and Vancouver. D.C. should be able to hold onto the spot in 4th and claim one of the two wildcard spots; heck with another eight or more-win week they might even be put pressure on Chicago by the end of the season. The Frenchman @OrbitingDeath (31-32-63pts) continue to lead the middle of the pack offense for the Dragons. Geoff Bezos @Quik(2.82GA, 0.920% & 2SO) has been serviceable but will need to improve his numbers should the Dragons be consider a serious threat in the North American Conference.

🔺                     5.     tBGI8d5.png

Reason: By no means an easy schedule next week as New York starts with back-to-back against Toronto(2), but they should control their own destiny this week with game against D.C. (2), Chicago(2) and Calgary (2). New York should manage to hopefully split most of the series and play around five hundred hockey allowing them to enter the last week of the season with an upper hand on Calgary and a very easy schedule. The trade for Brandt Fuhr @Tate(2.75GA, 0.928% & 3SO) will be a huge reason why they should make the wildcard by the end of the season but you cannot overlook the great play of Jasper Davis @Josh(30-52-82pts) and Francesco Mancini @GioSivo(40-40-80pts); who are doublet-handedly trying to will New York into the play-offs.

🔺                     6.     sEkoclV.png

Reason: Mixed schedule that should see them at least play five hundred hockey down the final stretch as the Bears play Warsaw(3), Helsinki(3), and finish the week with back-to-back games against New York; which could see the Bears actually higher up in the standings. Rex Wolffe Gregor @oilmandan(18-40-58pts) scoring has slowed as have the Bears in the past few weeks and Clueless Wallob @DMaximus (3.03GA, 0.925% & 0SO) has been rather average. Which is most likely why Seattle has fallen so quickly in the standings. Seattle will need a stronger effort from these two star players if they are going to climb back into play-off conversation.

🔻                      7.     H3evdlH.png

Reason: Tough Schedule with most of European teams visiting at least once starting the week with Riga(2), London, Malmo, HC Davos before big back-to-back series with Chicago and New York could determine if Calgary can find away into the Wildcard game or be watching from the outside by the end of the season. They have a very tough finish to season but can they hang on? Scoring continues to be an issue with only 126GF while defense and goaltending continue to be a strength with 130GA. Merome Dilson @MexicanCow123(2.39GA, 0.923% & 2SO) has stood tall for the team and could be the main reason that they might make the play-offs (wildcard). If they do somehow claim the finals spot in North American conference they will need more from Randy Bobandy @AJW (21-23-44pts) and Oreo McFleury @JB123(19-24-43pts).  

:locked:                  8.     7NXO7mc.png

Reason: Full tank is on!! Battle for last sort of will take place in the final two weeks of the season of the Wolves as face off with Warsaw(4) and Moscow(2) so it could be an interesting finish to the regular season and draft standings. FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY Analfist @STZ(31-29-60pts) continue to have a strong season for the rebuilding Wolves. While Liv Slater @Subject056(7-40-47pts) is also learning a new side of the game. Justin Lion @Emperor_Fun(4.02GA, 0.914% & 0SO) has finally cooled since being acquired from Malmo but should be able to build upon the success that he had this season with the Wolves.

VHLLogocopy3.jpg.95e68ea1581c233e71ee8f0d754d326d.jpg

European Conference

🔺                       1.     IpRHgQo.png

Reason: While I predicted that Malmo would cool last week and may I add I was right. Let me state this week that they should be in a very similar situation playing above five hundred hockey with a huge series against Riga but will it be enough to overtake the reins from the Reign!! Scoring from their scoring leader Henry Eagles @Greg_Di(32-42-74pts) has slowed as he has dropped to the bottom of the top 10 in league scoring yet Skor McFleury @Alex(14-55-69) continue to lead all defense in scoring. Ash Sparks @DarkSpyro(2.49GA, 0.925% & 2SO) has been able to hold his own this season and is a big reason why Malmo is a play-off team this season.

🔻                       2.     7w9f2U9.png

Reason: Five points up and one hand on the Victory Cup!! Big final week as Riga will play Malmo(3); which could determine the who wins the Victory Cup and European Conference this season. Riga should finish the season without a losing record in a single week of the season. AK92 Wit da Hoodie @hedgehog337(36-38-74pts) continue to lead the Reign attack along side Babay Shrimp @Blazzer(20-47-67pts); while Riga continue to get serviceable goaltending from Henry Tucker Jr @NSG(2.31GA, 0.928% & 1SO). Malmo is slightly better at the moment and Riga should be just over five hundred during the week; I think!?!?

🔺                        3.     orV41eH.png

Reason: Should play above five hundred down the stretch and with back-up games done and dusted should see them secure the points/wins that I am suspect them to collect. This should see them leap over at least London United and actually give them an off chance at catching Riga. If they are going to move up and claim the Victory Cup Davos will need continued strong play from Lachlan Summers @kirbithan(2.29GA, 0.931% & 3SO); who has bounced back from an early season slump. Leandro Goncalves @leandrofg (39-43-82pts) will try to lay a hand on some hardware as he is chasing down the Kevin Brooks and Mike Szatkowski Trophies.

🔻                        4.     9RbN7xC.png

Reason: Easy schedule down the stretch; which should see them play around seven hundred hockey or better; if they can do this, I predict that they will jump Malmo Nighthawks and Riga Reign as they take points off each other and claim the top spot in European Conference. Oh, and the Victory cup. They will need Jesse Teno @aimkin(2.03GA, 0.938% & 4SO) to continue his award-winning season but the United will also need to win games with their back-up as they haven`t played any back-up games yet. Could this be the down fall for London? Molly the Cat @JCarson(43-40-83pts) will continue to chase down the Kevin Brooks and Mike Szatkowski Trophies while Leonard Triller @Triller(13-65-78pts) will try to keep his hands on the Alexander Beketov Trophy. But I suspect that they will drop games that they shouldn`t so…..

🟰                        5.     MXuqhUu.png

Reason: Continued five hundred hockey should see them hold onto the final wildcard spot as Helsinki rather limps into the play-offs to face a very good team and maybe the best team in the Wildcard round. Great final season for Landon Wolanin @jacobcarson877(42-36-78pts) should have him conversation for a few awards. Likewise for Pierre Emile Bouchard @Gaikoku-hito(10-50-60pts) and Fuukka Rask @Jubis(2.54GA, 0.927% & 4SO) should be in conversation for awards by the end of the season but I think Helsinki will be happy at this point just to be making the play-offs as this team expected more this season.

🟰                        6.     UjNmgBS.png

Reason: Defending Champs are done!! What not so fast as I think they should make a good run at Helsinki and the last wildcard spot but too big of a hole as they are eight points back will be the main reason they miss. Couple that with lack of depth scoring and cooling off of John Jameson @Frank(31-30-61pts). Matt Murdock @Acydburn (2.63GA, 0.927% & 2SO) has been serviceable but just never stole a game when Prague needed it most. It could be an interesting off season in Prague.

🟰                        7.     8gziSIs.png

Reason: Won the battle for last against Warsaw but really it came down to other games that seen they climb from the basement and into the living room at least. Left Alone (29-39-68pts) continue to have a good season for Moscow and Axle Gunner @Steve(23-29-52pts) all but has one hand on the Christian Stolzshweigher trophy for Rookie of the year; it will be interesting if he can continue this pace through the remaindered of the season.

🟰                         8.     lWtQjX0.png

Reason: Last but maybe not last by the end of the season? Yeah, I don`t think so either. Strong Rookie season from Maxim Anisimov @McLovin(20-23-43pts) and King Kisslinger @Kisslinger (11-15-26pts) as the Predators look forward to the draft and an off-season of progress.

Overall Thoughts:

Back-up games might determine the European Conference and whom at the end of the season is holding the Victory Cup due to this I have a bit more movement than I would have liked and teams I feel that could be out of place come the end of the season. Prague last charge will be interesting to watch as I think they might get within a point or two of Helsinki for the final Wildcard spot and oh, Trade deadline has closed yet so it could throw this all for not should trades actually happen; I am not holding my breath!! North American Conference is pretty much determined other than who wants a Wildcard slot with any of the four teams having the ability to claim one of the two slots. Should be interesting finish to the season.

12 hours ago, jacobcarson877 said:

As far as I'm aware we should just have the 1 left!

Yes, I just checked the portal rather than team stat area and you are correct as your B-LDN G2 has gone 3-3-1 in seven games played.

I guess I win some and I loss some!! LOL!!

I guess that makes London United now the favorites for Victory Cup!!

don hertzfeldt animation GIF by hoppip