CIA's Certainly Wrong S68 Mock Draft

Image result for hockey draft

A Very Early S68 VHL Mock Draft

As we reach the two-thirds mark of the VHL season and descend upon the Trade Deadline, this would normally be the time where I write that the pack has separated into haves and have nots. But this season, that isn’t really the case. The last team in the lottery (Riga) is just six points behind the third team overall (Calgary). Last place in the league (New York) is just nine points behind a playoff spot. Really, anything can happen.

So that means that projecting a draft order right now – not even taking into account the flat lottery odds – is a fool’s errand. Luckily for you, I’m a fool.

Here’s an early look at the way the draft could potentially fall, with the caveat that even a 10% success rate on these picks is purely coincidental. There’s a lot that goes into draft picks, including personal friendships and alliances. I’m ignoring all of that – this mock largely bases itself on TPE and team fit. If you think your player is listed too low, then it is absolutely because I dislike you personally, and not because I’m just throwing darts at a board.

Now, let’s get down to business. A big thank you to @rjfryman as well, whose rankings were invaluable for putting this together.

:nya: 1. New York Americans – D Condor Adrienne @Green

There’s only a 25% chance that the team with the worst record actually ends up with the first overall pick, but if that’s the case for New York, then this pick would seem to be a slam dunk. Adrienne has run away with the most TPE in this class, and looks to be engaged that his agency perhaps hasn’t been since all the way back with O’Malley. New York, meanwhile, has loads of talented, young forwards but not as much on the blue line. It’s a perfect match.

:mal: 2. Malmo Nighthawks – D Lance Flowers @CowboyinAmerica

Malmo already has talent pretty much across the board, including at forward (led by rookies Lucas Nygren and Phil Marleau), defense (Rusty Shackleford and Jerry Garcia) and goalie (Michael Johnson). They can afford to go best player available at this spot, and by pure TPE, it would seem to be Flowers. Alongside fellow upcoming rookie – and former Halifax linemate – Hugh Chan, Flowers would be a stabilizing force on the second line for years to come. Four active, young defenseman is a luxury not many other VHL teams have.

:dav: 3. HC Davos Dynamo – C Thorny Underyew @jack

Davos has a glut of young defensive talent with Werbenjagermanjensen, Paddywagon and LeGrande, but while their forward core is slowly growing with recent additions like Martin and Scoringsonn, there’s room for more top-shelf talent. Underyew, Eller and Lehtinen should all be names that are in consideration here, but one thing that Davos’ recent picks have in common is that they’re pure playmakers – not a single checking point among them. Out of the three potential draftees, Underyew’s play is the most physical, which adds a different element to the Dynamo squad.

:dav: 4. HC Davos Dynamo (via Riga Reign) – G A Red Guy @.sniffuM

Finn Davison has been the goalie of the future for Davos for a while, but slowly but surely, that’s evolved into the goalie of the present. By the time the draft occurs, Davison will be entering the back half of his career. And given that the Dynamo’s timeline seems to coincide with more of a rebuild – Crimson and Davis aren’t getting any younger – it makes sense to grab a goalie of the future for the next time the team’s in contention. Guy is the best goalie available and has rocketed up draft charts; it wouldn’t surprise me if that continues over the coming weeks.

:sea: 5. Seattle Bears – C Frans Eller @Ace

Last draft was all about stopping the puck for the Bears, with defenseman Hogan and Jenton and goalie Funk all selected in the first 11 picks, alongside GM player Stark. The Bears did pick up Burn at #7 and had three second round forwards, alongside its S66 forward class, but it makes sense to me to pick up more top flight offensive scoring talent. Eller is exactly that, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him slot into the team’s second line sometime during his rookie year.

:que: 6. Vancouver Wolves – D Jeff Downey @JeffD

It’s getting close to pure rebuild time for the Wolves, and outside of goalie (where they may have gotten a steal in Eagles), they could use an injection of youth in just about every position. Downey has shot up draft rankings since he declared, and given that Vancouver only has one current defenseman younger than S65 and over 200 TPE, it’s clear to see that he’d be a defensive cornerstone for years to come. Lehtinen and Gunnar would also be reasonable picks here if they decided to go offense instead.

:hel: 7. Helsinki Titans – LW Teemu Lehtinen Jr. @Sixersfan549

Helsinki’s an interesting one to project for me. The Titans only have one pick in the first three rounds, and given their recent success, the inclination may be to trade this pick for one last go in Thompson’s final season. But if they do keep the pick, they have a few young players, mostly S66, that would form a nice future core. Adding Lehtinen would allow Helsinki the best of both worlds – keeping a cornerstone for the future and a potential rebuild, while adding a high TPE player that can contribute depth right away for another run.

:cal: 8. Calgary Wranglers – LW Sigard Gunnar @Big Mac

We’re getting very close to rebuild time in Calgary, and I bet the team’s management knows it. As a result, this pick could easily be on the block for a future first or as part of a rebuild package. But if it’s kept, the goal should be for a standout player that will still be around as part of a contending squad three or four seasons down the road. Gunnar is exactly that type of player – a pure scorer that can help get through the lean times – and also represents the best value on the board. The forward market takes a bit of a dip from here.

:mos: 9. Moscow Menace – G Raymond Bernard @Mr_Hatter

For the Menace, their time is now – with so many players on the roster, it’s not only win or bust, but the salary cap situation is going to start to look very sticky when those S66 rookie contracts run out in a year. That’s why a future piece like Bernard makes sense to me: In the short term, he replaces the elder Sterling as the team’s second goalie, a must-have when every game is crucial. But if everything goes right, he also could be a challenge to incumbent Owen May in the long-term, given that Bernard has racked up a higher TPE rate as of late.

:nya: 10. New York Americans (via Toronto Legion) – D Luciano Valentino @Kekzkrieg

As noted above, it makes sense for New York to be particularly defense-heavy in this draft. There’s a potential for it to be too defense-heavy – in this scenario, they’re adding not only Adrienne but GM player Keven Foreskin. Still, Valentino is easily the best talent currently available on the board, and he’s shot up the draft rankings in recent weeks. He’s a great value with the final selection in the first round, and in the actual draft, I wouldn’t be surprised if he actually ends up a bit higher.

:nya: 11. New York Americans – LW Micha Sage @AcousticKazoo

:dav: 12. HC Davos Dynamo (via Malmo Nighthawks) – D Wolf Stansson Jr. @Cornholio

:nya: 13. New York Americans (via HC Davos Dynamo) – RW Ryo Yamazuki II @Donno100

:rig: 14. Riga Reign – G Fang Flashback @uphillmoss

:mos: 15. Moscow Menace (via Seattle Bears) – LW Justin Rushmore @street

:que: 16. Vancouver Wolves – RW Bud Knight @Dilly Dilly

:nya: 17. New York Americans (via Helsinki Titans) – D Aamon Grim @aCrypticPancake

:cal: 18. Calgary Wranglers – RW Case Martell @Shaka

:que: 19. Vancouver Wolves (via Moscow Menace) – D Ricky Johnson @Midnite

:nya: 20. New York Americans (via Toronto Legion) – G Samuel Ross @Brrbisbrr

22 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

:que: 6. Vancouver Wolves – D Jeff Downey @JeffD

It’s getting close to pure rebuild time for the Wolves, and outside of goalie (where they may have gotten a steal in Eagles), they could use an injection of youth in just about every position. Downey has shot up draft rankings since he declared, and given that Vancouver only has one current defenseman younger than S65 and over 200 TPE, it’s clear to see that he’d be a defensive cornerstone for years to come. Lehtinen and Gunnar would also be reasonable picks here if they decided to go offense instead.

image.png

what roster you looking at?

Edited by Beaviss

11 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

what roster you looking at?

The one where S65 players are about to be off rookie deals, one non-goalie on the squad from last draft, and the teams picking before Vancouver were particularly loaded up with young guys. A team that will have primarily third and fourth year players is more Win Now than a young team to me, just by nature of getting whipped in terms of cap in the very near future.

Edited by CowboyinAmerica

35 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

Finn Davison has been the goalie of the future for Davos for a while, but slowly but surely, that’s evolved into the goalie of the present. By the time the draft occurs, Davison will be entering the back half of his career. And given that the Dynamo’s timeline seems to coincide with more of a rebuild – Crimson and Davis aren’t getting any younger – it makes sense to grab a goalie of the future for the next time the team’s in contention. Guy is the best goalie available and has rocketed up draft charts; it wouldn’t surprise me if that continues over the coming weeks.

but they already have 4 goalies ?

• Admin
1 hour ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

The one where S65 players are about to be off rookie deals, one non-goalie on the squad from last draft, and the teams picking before Vancouver were particularly loaded up with young guys. A team that will have primarily third and fourth year players is more Win Now than a young team to me, just by nature of getting whipped in terms of cap in the very near future.

I did find that take interesting tbh, having looked at Vancouver’s roster just a couple days ago (I was intrigued why they were so mediocre between the cup runs of S62 and S66 and turns out they basically had to draft a whole new team in the intervening period).

So the cap situation is fair (although no one knows what the salary cap will be any given season now), but definitely don’t think they’re nearing a rebuild.

Granted, I was looking at the S62 finals Game 7 thread and Will said this was just the start from Quebec which I would have agreed with at the time but now they only have Palo ad Louth left from then. So what do I know lol.

4 minutes ago, Victor said:

I did find that take interesting tbh, having looked at Vancouver’s roster just a couple days ago (I was intrigued why they were so mediocre between the cup runs of S62 and S66 and turns out they basically had to draft a whole new team in the intervening period).

So the cap situation is fair (although no one knows what the salary cap will be any given season now), but definitely don’t think they’re nearing a rebuild.

Granted, I was looking at the S62 finals Game 7 thread and Will said this was just the start from Quebec which I would have agreed with at the time but now they only have Palo ad Louth left from then. So what do I know lol.

considering your long and storied history in the league. I'd say nothing still.

1 hour ago, Victor said:

Yeah definitely, the rebuild comment was just me writing quickly, my bad on that. But what I meant to say more is that particularly when there are so many players in the league, depth is necessary, and depth is most easily acquired on rookie deals. That's where infusion of youth helps, and I still maintain that Vancouver would be helped mixing in younger players to prolong the period of contention.

Edited by CowboyinAmerica