Houston GM Punishment

Spartan

2 hours ago, Nykonax said:

e33.jpg

Damn right, we have no shame.

We like and respect AJ, and we appreciate that he was real with us in this situation. On his end, that's the way second chances should work. Someone screws up, admits it, faces the consequences, and moves on. We're not happy that this happened the way it did, but we are proud that our GMs feel that they can communicate with us honestly. And by the way, we do like the way this went--we've seen teams get docked draft picks for this kind of thing, followed immediately by the GM quitting and the new GM having to deal with it. We generally feel that if you screw up, you own the responsibility. AJ will be the only one affected by this.

The Achilles/Dack situation is not how second chances should work, and I like to think we all know that. Hopefully we're all good at forgiving, moving on, and doing better.

There are wrongs done here and rn it's been settled properly without causing a huge fuss. I do have to give credit to AJ for being honest because there aren't many people out there like him. There isn't a need for the public shaming or interrogation, I personally don't think it looks nice at all. What's done is done and kudos to the commish for handling it perfectly. 

I do have some sympathy towards Achilles. Drinking problem is no joke. I also struggle with alcohol, both in the past and now, and it can really change how you conduct yourself for the worse. At the same time, there's a process to be done and while I'm all for seeing the good in people, you have to dedicate yourself to that process first to show that you've changed. It's clear that he has had some lasting negative impact on some members, and while I cannot speak to his character either in a positive or negative way, I hope he understands why this was done, and I hope you understand why this is the result.

Hmm Mod bullying AJ over something quick a few people would do, Public shame really? The punishment being made public was more then enough, crazy unfair. Poor AJ.

36 minutes ago, UnknownMinion said:

Hmm Mod bullying AJ over something quick a few people would do, Public shame really? The punishment being made public was more then enough, crazy unfair. Poor AJ.

Not sure I agree. Fong had a fair question to ask in public and he did. Did it come across strong? Yes however he's entitled to ask that question anyways.

AJ, you made a mistake and honestly that's huge of you to admit to your mistake. As far as I'm concerned, this is a fair punishment and I hope all is forgiven in here. Now kill it in Houston!

• Head Moderator
7 hours ago, Bojovnik said:

Aggressive moderating giving off very bad vibes ngl.

I nor anyone on the mod team moderated anyone. This punishment was handed out by he VHLM commish and mods were already arms length from the situation. I'm allowed to have my opinion on someone bringing a high risk individual back into the community illegally and I said so in a respectful manner and questioned the action. Exactly the same thing you are doing except I'm explaining to you how none of what I did is remotely moderating or related.

Edited by Baozi

• Head Moderator
12 hours ago, UnknownMinion said:

If I hadn't replied and pointed out that Achillies had numerous violations in other communities multiple times and also harassed staff, would you know about it? Did you know yourself that he had recently had another incident? Where is the bullying in all this? Did you even read my statements? Remember when you said you were bullied a while back and you wished someone would stand up for you? I'm standing up for those I advocate for in the LGBTQ community. I asked questions so that I didn't have to assume anything. 

Edited by Baozi

49 minutes ago, Baozi said:

I nor anyone on the mod team moderated anyone. This punishment was handed out by he VHLM commish and mods were already arms length from the situation. I'm allowed to have my opinion on someone bringing a high risk individual back into the community illegally and I said so in a respectful manner and questioned the action. Exactly the same thing you are doing except I'm explaining to you how none of what I did is remotely moderating or related.

To clarify to everyone, we asked mods to finish their process before we got involved. Once their investigation ended, they deferred any AJ punishment to us. So I would assume the time to question AJ would have been during that investigation no? Feel like doing it after deferring it to M Commissioners defeats the point lol

I do think it is very important to outline the context to everyone as to why this happened, beyond just a banned member returning without appeal. Those who hadn't done the research to put together the 3+ different aliases this person has put together in even the last year, would not have a) known Dack was ever Achilles, b) known the long and widespread issues that this person has been causing elsewhere (as their nose had been very clean here under this persona, and c) that these issues persisted after our last experience with them, as recently as this calendar year.

AJ, while a little dummy in this situation, has brought together such a community in Houston, and provides tremendous value for the VHLM and Houston specifically. While a noted dummy, he has earned some faith here that while a dummy, had good intentions, and was simply trying to help someone rebuild their identity and enjoy the thing we love together. Was that his right to give? No, of course not and hence the punishment. Was Dack honestly a great member for the period of time he was here? Honestly, yes. I truly hope that he can continue to learn, grow, show some maturity and return to sim leagues with kindness and love for all.

I will always stand against ___-phobia, which Achilles has always seemed to have weighing him down. But I do always have hope in my heart that people can learn and grow, and I believe the root of ___-phobia is ignorance and lack of critical thinking, which is something that can be learned.

The Moderators and VHLM Commissioners had all the details, and came to their decisions according to their domains. The rules were enforced, and faith was shown in one of our best members. I can't imagine there is more to discuss than that. 

18 minutes ago, Spartan said:

To clarify to everyone, we asked mods to finish their process before we got involved. Once their investigation ended, they deferred any AJ punishment to us. So I would assume the time to question AJ would have been during that investigation no? Feel like doing it after deferring it to M Commissioners defeats the point lol

The problem with your reply is that you’re not separating the moderating job and fongs ability to be a user in the vhl space.

The moderators can and have done their job. However now, Fong is allowed to take off his moderator hat, be himself and be a pissed off member. I see nothing wrong with him taking stand that this pissed him off personally. In fact this is healthier.

The moderation team shouldn’t have to wear the hat 24/7. Remember that it’s a job, in the league… A simulation league. If he took this anger and applied it to AJ’s punishment, imo it would be worse.

• Head Moderator

I just want to clarify since some individuals seem to be confused about it, but there was no "moderating" of AJ. I don't believe he violated anything in the COC so I did not ask my team to investigate anything other making sure the individual being brought back was once again removed from the community. So while I could've asked this all as a moderator, I feel this wasn't warranted. Mods removed the COC violator after confirming with multiple sources who the person was. At no point in time prior did I ask AJ any of this.

33 minutes ago, Baozi said:

I just want to clarify since some individuals seem to be confused about it, but there was no "moderating" of AJ. I don't believe he violated anything in the COC so I did not ask my team to investigate anything other making sure the individual being brought back was once again removed from the community. So while I could've asked this all as a moderator, I feel this wasn't warranted. Mods removed the COC violator after confirming with multiple sources who the person was. At no point in time prior did I ask AJ any of this.

I love being violated by COC