VSN Presents: The S74 VHLM Awards Show

Mr_Hatter

07J0hA5.png

Welcome one and all to this season’s VSN hosted VHLM Awards! As we saw last night with the VHL Awards, this is the time of the season for recognizing the achievements of our fantastic VHLM players, sending them off to seek glory in the VHL. We have a big night planned, complete with video presentation from yours truly; check it out here.

This past season saw one of the most improbable Founder’s Cup victors we have ever seen. The Miami Marauders came from behind, by not only barely sneaking into the playoffs by a single point, but by becoming the first 8 seed in the history of the VHLM to win the Founder’s Cup. Congratulations to the Marauders on this monumental occasion! 

Congratulations as well to the Halifax 21st for their fantastic regular season performance as their 129 points earned was the most since the Season 69 Saskatoon Wild, and otherwise the highest since Season 53 to win the Prime Ministers Cup. Although they were upset in the first round by the eventual champions, they have a lot to be proud of for an incredible season.

Without further ado, here are the S74 VHLM Awards!

:mia: Championship - Founder’s Cup: Miami Marauders :mia:

:hfx: Best Regular Season Record - Prime Minister’s Cup: Halifax 21st :hfx: 

:veg: :ssk: Leading Points - Ethan Osborne Trophy: Gary Rush Jr. and Brian Strong Jr. :ssk: :veg: 

:ssk: Leading Goals - Alexander Chershenko Trophy: Brian Strong Jr. :ssk: 

:veg: Leading Assists - Vladimir Boomchenko Trophy: Rhynex Entertainment :veg: 

Now onto the individual awards! First up - Top Defenseman Award, the Ryan Sullivan Trophy! 

~spoiler master list~

Spoiler

You really want to spoil yourself?

Spoiler

Oh c'mon, it's so much less fun this way

Spoiler

But I put in all the work with the write-ups!!!!

Spoiler

I'm only doing this for Quik anyway smh my head

Spoiler

Ryan Sullivan - Lucifer Oliver Leveque - Yukon Rush

Benoit Devereux - Kevin Malone - Halifax 21st

Matt Bentz - Brian Strong Jr. - Saskatoon Wild

Skylar Rift - Cabe McJake - Miami Marauders

Mitch Higgins - Kevin Malone - Halifax 21st

Jack Reilly - Ricer - Miami Marauders 

Edited by Mr_Hatter

Top Defenseman Award "Ryan Sullivan Trophy"

In order for a defenseman to be considered one of the best, they must demonstrate both offensive and defensive prowess. This season, another name is added to the list of remarkable VHLM defensemen who have done just that. 

First our runner up, with three votes in favor, the Mississauga Hounds’ Gustav Hjalmarsson!

:yuk:
And your Ryan Sullivan Trophy winner for top defenseman, we have Lucifer Olivier Leveque of the Yukon Rush. 
Congratulations @InstantRockstar!

:yuk:

Next up - Top Goaltender - Benoit Devereux Trophy!

Edited by Mr_Hatter

Top Goaltender Award "Benoit Devereux Trophy"

A top goaltender can often make or break a team’s performance. There were many goaltenders this season whose performances warranted attention, but there can only be one winner. This season’s victor led his team to an incredible points total, and was instrumental in their success. 

Finishing with 3 votes, once more from the Mississauga Hounds, is our runner up Vsevolod Askarov!

:hfx:
With 8 votes in favor, with the second best SV% since Season 50, the Halifax 21st’s incredible Kevin Malone!
Congratulations @chatfan036!

Next up - Top Two Way Forward - Matt Bentz Trophy!

Top Two-Way Forward Award "Matt Bentz Trophy"

When discussing forwards, a lot of the glory is given to those who put up the most points, and that attention is well-deserved. However, versatility is something that should be celebrated just as much, and that is the purpose of the Matt Bentz Trophy. The winner this season managed to bring both of these concepts together, being a great point scorer, as well as showing great versatility along the way. In this particular season, well, they really managed to hit the mark on offense, and were no slouch on the other side of the ice. 

With two votes to his name, we have our runner up this season in Taro Tsujimoto from the Mississauga Hounds!

:ssk: 
And with 9 votes, your Season 74 Matt Bentz Trophy winner is none other than the Saskatoon Wild’s  Brian Strong Jr.!
Congratulations @Wheaties !

:ssk:

Next up - Playoff MVP - Skylar Rift Trophy!

Playoff MVP Award "Skylar Rift Trophy"

The Skylar Rift Trophy designates the playoff performer that contributed most to their team’s postseason success. With such an incredible run, let’s be honest; this had to be a Marauder. This season’s victor took the playoffs by storm, scoring the most goals out of all participants, reaching over a point per game. What’s more, is they were separated from second place by just a single vote (you can thank @rjfryman for this ;))

In second place, having been the instrumental backstop for the Marauder’s historic playoff run, we have RaRa Rasputin with 5 votes!

:mia:
And now your Playoff MVP: with 6 votes, Cabe McJake of the Miami Marauders!
Congratulations @RedSus !

Next up - Regular Season MVP - Mitch Higgins Trophy!

Regular Season MVP Award "Mitch Higgins Trophy"

Being crowned the most valuable player in the VHLM puts your name in elite company. And with so many possible ways of impacting the league during the regular season, be it through defensive OR offensive contributions, it is often very difficult to decide who is most worthy. That was no different this season, as 4 players received votes with 3 receiving more than 1 vote. In the end, the winner was one who had one of the statistically greatest performances for their position in the past quarter century. 

With 3 votes in favor, your runner up for regular season MVP is a familiar name: Brian Strong Jr.!

And without further ado, let me present your Mitch Higgins Trophy winner for Regular Season MVP, none other than the Halifax 21st’s number one man, Kevin Malone!
Congratulations once more @chatfan036 !

Lastly - Top Executive - Jack Reilly Trophy!

Top Executive Award "Jack Reilly Trophy"

This season, similar to the playoff MVP decision, there was really only one team you could expect to see, and that is the Miami Marauders. After an incredible run to even make the playoffs, the Marauders exceeded all expectations, startling the league by handing out upset after upset to all challengers on their route to VHLM immortality. Their GM is known for his tireless dedication to the league, his team, and his players. What is particularly impressive about this season is they managed to accomplish this with no first round picks, and just one in the first three rounds. 

First things first, your runner up, from the Las Vegas Aces, we have Spartan!

Of course, you all know what I am about to say: Congratulations to @Ricer13, GM of the Miami Marauders, and the Top Executive of Season 74!

And just like that, our coverage of the VHLM has ended for another season. Be sure to stay tuned for future VSN productions coming this offseason, and rest assured, we’ll be there to kick things off again in Season 75! As always, we would like to extend our thanks to the VHLM Commissioners of @Acydburnand @diamond_ace, whose work helps this league run smoothly. Without them, the VHLM wouldn’t be the place that it is, and from the bottom of our hearts, thank you. 

Additionally, a special thanks to @Sonnet, our ex-Commissioner who stepped down partly through the season. Although you are no longer explicitly in the VHLM, you will always remain in spirit. We greatly  appreciate all the hard work you put into the position, and wish you all the best in future endeavors. 

I have been your host Mr_Hatter, and on behalf of the whole VSN crew, thank you, and good night!

37 minutes ago, Gooningitup said:

Kinda shocked when i had one of the best playoff numbers in VHLM history, to not even get runner up ? not gunna lie even if i lost i was majorly overlooked. 

... the guys that got top-two were:

1) The playoff leading scorer for the Cup winners, and

2) A goalie that put up a similar SV%, despite playing the three highest-scoring teams in the league in the playoffs, and had a .945 SV% in the finals (your SV% in the finals was .880)

nope I don't see it

Edited by tcookie25

31 minutes ago, tcookie25 said:

... the guys that got top-two were:

1) The playoff leading scorer for the Cup winners, and

2) A goalie that put up a similar SV%, despite playing the three highest-scoring teams in the league in the playoffs, and had a .945 SV% in the finals (your SV% in the finals was .880)

nope I don't see it

Averaged similar shot totals per series, we also played 2 almost as high scoring teams as you guys. 915sv% 2.76gaa, vs 910sv% 3.10gaa(which was boosted SOLEY by the finals) after our team was litterly forced to change our entire roster in the finals.

Not disputing victors great and gunna build a stud lol, but again my numbers would have killed him if we didnt get forced to change our roster. I was .26sv higher heading into the finals. 

On 11/12/2020 at 8:48 AM, Gooningitup said:

Averaged similar shot totals per series, we also played 2 almost as high scoring teams as you guys. 915sv% 2.76gaa, vs 910sv% 3.10gaa(which was boosted SOLEY by the finals) after our team was litterly forced to change our entire roster in the finals.

Not disputing victors great and gunna build a stud lol, but again my numbers would have killed him if we didnt get forced to change our roster. I was .26sv higher heading into the finals. 

I think if anything, the fact that RaRa had worse numbers than you meant neither of you should have really gotten votes... no offense, but I do think the finals matchup means more than anything for a goalie specifically, and you didn't keep up in that regard; but the fact that Rasputin wasn't even the best goalie in the tournament (by pure overall statistics) means that I don't think he should have gotten that many votes either. 

• Admin
On 11/13/2020 at 5:46 PM, Mr_Hatter said:

I think if anything, the fact that RaRa had worse numbers than you meant neither of you should have really gotten votes... no offense, but I do think the finals matchup means more than anything for a goalie specifically, and you didn't keep up in that regard; but the fact that Rasputin wasn't even the best goalie in the tournament (by pure overall statistics) means that I don't think he should have gotten that many votes either. 

This - surprised there was only 1 vote in it. Miami's forwards definitely carried us for most of the playoffs (with a few steals by me here and there).