Update to the GM Draft Rules

Beketov

• Commissioner

Hello everyone,

Just a quick update today that I meant to make after the draft but it's been a busy time so I kept forgetting. Starting in S76 we'll be changing the rules regarding GM's drafting their own players. Originally when the rule was introduced to separate GM's from their players it was done with the intention of having no link whatsoever. If you wanted your player, you had to draft them or trade for them like any other. This did get changed before being announced however to the rule that everyone has thus far known of a first round pick can be used to auto-draft your player.

Back when there was 8 teams this worked relatively well as no GM player would be picked further back than 8th overall which isn't super unreasonable. However with 16 teams and the trend being to trade down as low as possible the @BOG has found that the rule, as it stands, has become a bit too easy to abuse. GM players, historically, are very high earning players so to get one guaranteed for 8 seasons at 16th overall, especially when you could also hold the first pick, seems rather unfair. For that reason the auto-pick rule is officially being removed starting in S76. If GM's wish to get their own players they will need to draft them like any other player or trade for them. The same rules about abusing your own draft stock still apply as do the rules regarding GM's not being able to pick themselves up in Free Agency. This latter one, however, is being given an amendment. GM's MAY get their own player via FA but only if league approval is given before free agency starts. Approval is by no means guaranteed and we will be very stringent on giving it but special circumstances could arise.

This really only affects @VHL GM's but everyone should take note of it regardless.

@Commissioner

3 minutes ago, Beketov said:

GM's MAY get their own player via FA but only if league approval is given before free agency starts. Approval is by no means guaranteed and we will be very stringent on giving it but special circumstances could arise.

what kind of special conditions?

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, McWolf said:

what kind of special conditions?

Players being held hostage by other GM’s, no other market for their player, that sort of thing. It won’t be a common occurrence to avoid GM’s just jumping ship to their own team after 3 seasons but it is allowable in certain cases if the need arises.

Basically the same rules as we had when GM’s were allowed 2 players but they couldn’t sign their second in FA. We allowed an exception for @Higgins because every other team had a goalie and he had spent a full season with no team. We obviously wouldn’t want a situation to get that dire again so exceptions CAN be made but on the whole they won’t be.

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, Esso2264 said:

this is were i yell for no apparent reason as i dont have my own player on my team and i get into an argument with someone over a meatloaf recipe

Mmmmm, meatloaf

• Commissioner
21 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

I like this too, but I do see another batch of problems arising

And we’ll fix them when they do. If we tried to close up every hypothetical situation with every rule change nothing would ever get done.

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, JeffD said:

I thought making teams pick your player at your original draft slot would have been fine.

I have no real incentive to recreate immediately anymore so I guess this takes a chunk out of my point task workload.

If you win the cup and have your player in the next draft you’re still getting a guaranteed high earner at 16th. The fairest system is to treat them as any other player would be: if you want them and you don’t think your pick is high enough to make it happen then trade up for them.

1 hour ago, JeffD said:

I thought making teams pick your player at your original draft slot would have been fine.

I have no real incentive to recreate immediately anymore so I guess this takes a chunk out of my point task workload.

Yeah your teams native pick was the right change.

This now opens up so many other problems

18 minutes ago, Jubis said:

like early retirement etc.. 

If that's how GMs feel it's best to use their player, that's entirely up to them. We've never had an issue with early retirement, in fact it used to be encouraged - which is why most HOF players from the early days weren't 8-season players.

• Commissioner
43 minutes ago, Jubis said:

Yeah your teams native pick was the right change.

This now opens up so many other problems

Completely disagree. Native pick puts a massively unfair advantage into teams doing well because their native pick is lower in the draft. If 1 team gets last and another wins the cup but both GM’s are getting a player in the next draft the team that got last needs to use 1st overall for their player and the team that won the cup uses 16th. It’s inherently unfair.

I guess there were two real options here: either you have to use your native pick on the GM player, or you just open the draft up completely. Both are better and harder to exploit than being able to trade down all you want and pick your GM player as late as possible. Neither is perfect and I can see where there might be some issues that come up with GMs not having their own player reserved if they want him, but opening the draft up completely is unquestionably the fairest way to handle it. I think this was the right change.

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, omgitshim said:

You could compromise it, like a top 8 pick is required to secure automatic rights to your own player. Means struggling teams will be able to get their GM player without much issue but playoff caliber teams would need to make some moves to get them.

It was considered but ultimately we felt like that still means a lot of judging quality of GM players unfairly. Some may be a top 8 guy but some might not. Having them be in the market as any other player would be means the market dictates their value, not the rules.

5 hours ago, Beketov said:

Hello everyone,

Just a quick update today that I meant to make after the draft but it's been a busy time so I kept forgetting. Starting in S76 we'll be changing the rules regarding GM's drafting their own players. Originally when the rule was introduced to separate GM's from their players it was done with the intention of having no link whatsoever. If you wanted your player, you had to draft them or trade for them like any other. This did get changed before being announced however to the rule that everyone has thus far known of a first round pick can be used to auto-draft your player.

gmtQnQ2.png

5 hours ago, Beketov said:

However with 16 teams and the trend being to trade down as low as possible the @BOG has found that the rule, as it stands, has become a bit too easy to abuse.

AJ6PVIw.png

1 hour ago, tcookie25 said:

I guess there were two real options here: either you have to use your native pick on the GM player, or you just open the draft up completely. Both are better and harder to exploit than being able to trade down all you want and pick your GM player as late as possible. Neither is perfect and I can see where there might be some issues that come up with GMs not having their own player reserved if they want him, but opening the draft up completely is unquestionably the fairest way to handle it. I think this was the right change.

this x1 million

You need to look no further than Riga's draft this past offseason. It was the right call to make to do this change. 

I'm not sure I fully agree with this change. I understand why it was done, but I don't see why you wouldn't allow for some mitigated way to take your own player rather than fully opening it up. Could be top 8, like omg suggested,  or even making it require a lottery pick.

At the same time it is a 'fair' change. I suppose it just means there is no link between GM players and their teams whatsoever. 

Honestly, why even have FA rules for GM players at this point? That is kinda bs to me. If the whole point is to not allow any unfair or guaranteed link between a GM and their player, why restrict their FA move whatsoever? Let whoever drafts them be sure the player will stay with the team, just like any other player in the league.