VHL Board of Governors News

Baozi

• 1 month later...
  • Head Moderator
1 hour ago, GustavMattias said:

What exactly does "GM De-Link" mean?

GM players and their players are two separate entities rather than always requiring to be kept together.

• 5 weeks later...

HoF discussion hath started so that eats up some of the BoG interest. But otherwise ya'll we've been mostly discussing the changes to Trivia and Pension (and the members issues and complaints with them) some payment scale changes for a couple of jobs, and a giant thread on Update Scale, Endurance, and the Salary Cap as we examine the team/player balance and parity. That last one though feels like it's an ongoing process. 

Fonger can get the dates updated in the OP, but figured I'd just let you guys know that things still be popping in there regularly. Also it hasn't been publicized yet but @Josh has been doing shadow sims this season for a couple of things. We've seen a sample of some of those results, most of is just with new update scales or if we enabled endurance. Just an example though of how we like to get our ducks in a row before full board announcing things.

Unless it's Trivia changes in which case they announce them thinking it's a small deal and the league erupts. :P 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you guys are discussing endurance, can you also discuss raising the cap while setting a max price for contracts?  This way teams will be able to sign and play 3rd and 4th liners instead of only having 6 forwards and 4 d-men.  I think it would also help the tweeners who aren't high enough to be tpe VHL superstars still get playing time without being discouraged by bad numbers.

24 minutes ago, Brrbisbrr said:

If you guys are discussing endurance, can you also discuss raising the cap while setting a max price for contracts?  This way teams will be able to sign and play 3rd and 4th liners instead of only having 6 forwards and 4 d-men.  I think it would also help the tweeners who aren't high enough to be tpe VHL superstars still get playing time without being discouraged by bad numbers.

I've tried getting this to happen for 3-4 seasons now, they're not a fan it seems

2 hours ago, Rayzor_7 said:

I've tried getting this to happen for 3-4 seasons now, they're not a fan it seems

Now now, we don't need to use words like that. Some people really like the mold of 6/4/2 and while I wouldn't say we have gotten away from it entirely, it's not really the norm. Some teams still use that, but it's far more of a situational thing. A lot of teams have gotten used to having 9 forwards and sometimes as much as 6D. This season was also one of the first in a bit where I had to manually go grab the CPU bot goalies for teams because most teams were carrying some inactive back up at the bare minimum. 

I think the larger problem with taking on more players and bigger roster sizes is how it equates to success in the sim. Which is why that has constantly been an ongoing discussion for the BoG in that thread even. The primary focus seems to be right now in increasing the quality gap in the sim associated with the more nuanced TPA gap. It's not just a matter of every team only having 4-5 good players, like it was in the old days, so every team could see a modicum of success and it wouldn't impact player success too much. Each team carries more serious actives now than they did in the old days, so even under the idealized roster setup some have of 6/4 we have issues, because that 6 or that 4 generally are competing with each other for stats now too. All of it is happening while team stats and scoring in general isn't that much higher than it has been. It's why despite so many good players individual stats aren't skyrocketing either. 

The amount of player tiering that we would like to see versus what the league has traditionally seen is so out of whack that it's not exactly the easiest problem to fix. No band-aid quick all has helped and test sims while illuminating only have thus far served to take us deeper down the rabbit hole, if that makes sense. I'm sorry I know you'd probably like a more optimistic answer, but we are simply playing the cards we have been dealt. 

From what I have read, Simon T is based off of the NHL and is intended for use in that format of 9 forwards and 6 dmen. Just using the same players to fill in the lines does not play well with this sim engine. Even though 1.1 is old as fuck, it might actually work better with a full roster and give the teams cap to have said players. I think that should have been addressed before we had an expansion. I am just spit balling here so take it for what it's worth. 

• Commissioner
49 minutes ago, Steve said:

From what I have read, Simon T is based off of the NHL and is intended for use in that format of 9 forwards and 6 dmen. Just using the same players to fill in the lines does not play well with this sim engine. Even though 1.1 is old as fuck, it might actually work better with a full roster and give the teams cap to have said players. I think that should have been addressed before we had an expansion. I am just spit balling here so take it for what it's worth. 

Main issue is that playing on line 3 or 4 for 8 minutes a game is boring as hell and no one wants to do it. Full rosters, even if they create realism (which we don’t know they do and even if we did when have we ever drives for that?) don’t necessarily make for entertainment within the game that is the VHL.

1 hour ago, Beketov said:

Main issue is that playing on line 3 or 4 for 8 minutes a game is boring as hell and no one wants to do it. Full rosters, even if they create realism (which we don’t know they do and even if we did when have we ever drives for that?) don’t necessarily make for entertainment within the game that is the VHL.

Aye, but that also doesn't mean we can't find a sweet spot in regards to stats for depth players, especially as league growth continues. All we know for certain is that we can't have completely full rosters. However finding a good balance for 1st 2nd and 3rd line scoring with the expectation that a good 6 to 8 forwards and a good 2-3 D on most teams are active and need to see a modicum of success. 

However I do think the discussion in the BoG right now on that subject is clearly focused on that. TPA and Attributes and how they translate to success in the sim is like, the focus right now. 

• Head Moderator

BOG Membership Update:

@Enorama @GustavMattias @McWolf @Rayzor_7 have been selected for BOG to replace @Matt_O @Renomitsu

Thank you to all prior members for their assistance and time. Welcome to the new members and thank you for your continued efforts to grow the community.

2 hours ago, tfong said:

BOG Membership Update:

@Enorama @GustavMattias @McWolf @Rayzor_7 have been selected for BOG to replace @Matt_O @Renomitsu

Thank you to all prior members for their assistance and time. Welcome to the new members and thank you for your continued efforts to grow the community.

Good luck all :)