VHLM Player Press Conference

Tagger

1) Since it's not been too long since you've joined the league, what are thoughts on the league so far as a whole?

Seems pretty good so far, the portal looks really sleek and nice, I could definitely see myself doing some articles for that.

2) Are there any areas in the league that you would like to see a change/improvement? 

I haven't look at enough stuff yet but perhaps and "Other" option in the drop down box so you can type in something that doesn't fit.

3) The VHLM Newsletter launched earlier this week, did you read it and was it helpful to you?

I haven't' seen it no.

4) What are your aims this season in the VHLM?

I want to score a tonne of goals and win my team games, a lot of playing time would be a top priority as well.

5) With the teams starting to take shape, who do you consider to be the favourite for the VHLM Founders Cup?

I'd need to get a better grasp of the league and what makes a team good in the sim before I can answer that question.

6a) Is there any player on your VHL team that you're particularly looking forward to playing with when you make the VHL? (For players who were also in the VHL Draft)

Probably  Guillaume Fontenette @okocha5 or whoever @gorlab's player is. No idea what teams they're on though.

6b) What do you think of your current VHLM team? (If you were selected in the VHLM Draft)

Haven't been selected yet, think I might have missed it? Anyway, if they aren't the best team before I join they definitely will be after.

6c) If a GM were to make you an offer, what kind of player would they be getting? (If you're currently unaffiliated).

An ALL OUT SCORER, goals win games and Ritchie game has and always win be about banging in screamers.

1. Where are you and what are you doing?

I am currently wrapping up my vacation in Maine visiting distant relatives before heading back to Halifax.

2. Who is your favorite fictional hero?

The true Italian Stallion, Sylvester Stallone playing Rocky. He’s like an honorary hometown hero in Italy.

3. What is your greatest fear?

The fear of injury and not being able to play or get ice time thanks to recovery

4. Tell us a secret about yourself?

Although I like to carry myself as a full fledged adult at the age of 18, I’m still a huge Mama’s boy.

6. What is your worst trait?

I’m incredibly hard on myself and I hold myself to an almost impossible standards as a player on and off the ice that would drive many people to insanity.

7. What's the best meal you ever had?

There’s nothing in the world that could compare to Mama Mia’s spaghetti and meatballs back in Potenza, Italy.

6 questions, to be answered approximately whenever you feel like it...

1. If you're new to the league, are you enjoying it? What do you like and what don't you like?

2. Tell us one thing about your team that other players may not know.

3. Tell us one thing about your player that other players may not know.

4. Take a look at some other teams' rosters--does your team have a shot to win it all?

5. If you were being traded to any other VHLM team, but you were able to pick which one, where would you go?

6. If you could be drafted by any VHL team next season, where would you go?

1. If you're new to the league, are you enjoying it? What do you like and what don't you like?
I am new, both to the league and to Houston. So far the GM @FrostBeard and the staff here has been super helpful. It's sometimes hard to find all of the basic information and rules (which is why I will try to claim two press conferences under the cap :) ).

I'm brand new so I couldn't tell you anything other than that Houston has weird weather and that we have a great GM.

European hockey is Swedish hockey is Soviet hockey. I sometimes feel guilty that I adore the Soviet players more than I do the Swedish.

4. Take a look at some other teams' rosters--does your team have a shot to win it all?

Bulls did not do very well their first season, but I am sure we can improve quite a lot this one. The locker room is buzzing. Honestly, buzzing.

5. If you were being traded to any other VHLM team, but you were able to pick which one, where would you go?

I wouldn't. This is my team now, the underdog that will rise.

Possibly Malmö Nighthawks, but it depends how I feel life here in the US is treating me. I would probably not mind a North American team.

1) Since it's not been too long since you've joined the league, what are thoughts on the league so far as a whole?

Well it hasnt been a while since I have made my player but I have been in the league wayyyy back then. Some people might remember me, Claudio was the username and I had a goaltender named Claudio Martucci and also a forward Mario Corvia who I unfortunately went inactive with.

2) Are there any areas in the league that you would like to see a change/improvement? 

I am a big GFX guy and always love seeing activity in that part of the forum. A lot of new faces thats forsure but we need to help eachother out inorder to improve as that community.

3) The VHLM Newsletter launched earlier this week, did you read it and was it helpful to you?

I did read it quickly and it did help me out. Especially now that I am trying to get back into it and learn more about the league. Any information is good information thats forsure.

Stay active and have a good time. We are all here to enjoy ourselves and if we do, we will stick around. Sometimes life does get into the way but I think that the fact that I had such a great time in the past and also that sim leagues interest me, I will stay active. If not, I just want to imrpove my player the best I can. Gotta be a TPE whore, especially when you are just starting off.

5) With the teams starting to take shape, who do you consider to be the favourite for the VHLM Founders Cup?

Honestly, I havent really looked at many teams rosters. I have an idea of like who is an expansion team and what not so lemme go check out the teams as I finish off this answer. 

After doing a quik look at the team rosters, I think the Philadelphia Reapers have not only the deepest forward core but also a great goalie to go along with it. Would not surprise me if they end up going really far and winning it all.

6b) What do you think of your current VHLM team? (If you were selected in the VHLM Draft)

I guess you could say I had the luxury of choosing where I wanted to go and chose to join Nykonax. He helped me out in the SHL when I had first started and was a familiar face and wanted to join whatever team he had. As much as winning championship[s is fun, I do not think Mexico City is in any position to do that. But, with that being said. Ill be able to develop and grow with the team we have. Once we develop a core all around our "age" it will be a fun team to be apart of in a season or so

1. Where are you and what are you doing?

Right now, I'm just relaxing at my home in Ladner, BC, just taking in the fact that I've just come to terms with the Mexico City Kings to play for them.

2. What is your greatest fear?

Honestly, it's probably disappointing people. Especially as a player, I really don't want to disappoint the management, the coaches, my teammates, and the fans. That's why I always strive to give 100% every game.

3. Tell us a secret about yourself?

One time, I checked a guy so hard that he ended up becoming paralyzed from the waist down. Law enforcement called it a freak accident, and it really was. I didn't mean to harm him that badly, man.

4. How would you like to be remembered?

I want to be remembered as the heart and soul of a locker room that won themselves a championship. I know I'm not going to be the guy putting up the points, and I'm not necessarily a shutdown defender either. But as long as everyone remembers me as the guy that pumped up his teammates and gave them that push to win it all, well, I don't see how it could get any better.

5. What is your worst trait?

I can definitely be a bit headstrong at times. I'm a bit stubborn, I get it off of my father's side of the family, but I'm trying my best to improve on that.

6. What's the best meal you ever had?

Now that's my type of question. You know, I'm from a small town, and there really aren't many big restaurants. I don't think I've ever been to a high-end restaurant all my life. I'd say the best meal for me has always been this little diner across the street from where I live that serves the best burgers and fries ever. Beats out anything you can get at Micky D's, that's for sure.

7. If you could fly anywhere in the world right now where would you go?

Honestly, as crazy as this sounds, Mexico City. I wanna be out there on the ice, proving my worth, right now, so if you gave me a ticket to Mexico City, you bet I'll be on that plane.

Edited by jon-cent

I love it.  It gives me a creative outlet and the current TPE system lets you accumulate points and is pretty fair to everyone.  I don't really like these microwaveable chimis I bought for breakfast.

We give out deer lawn ornaments to recent signees. There's also cookies.

Despite being from South Carolina Samuel doesn't like Chewing Tobacco, Mountain Dew, lifted trucks, football or cousins.

It's early and lots of players have time to train, but I like our roster.  I think we can go toe to toe with any VHLM team.

I'm happy with where I am and don't really care where I go.

I really like Acyd as a GM and trust his opinions.  He's been fair and honest with bringing me in and telling me how things are with the team and his expectations for my player.  I would probably lean on him and my teammates for advice.

1. What inspired your player's name?

Well my real name is Claudio and my friends call me Claude so that was the last name. The first name was because I was looking for some sort of Latvian name in the SHL and went on a generator. Liked the name Kaspars and chose that one for my Latvian player on there. Cool name, so I kept it.

2. What's been your favorite part of the league so far?

Getting to see some old faces again. Crazy how many people left from Season33, was thinking most people would have stuck around

3. What's been your least favorite part of the league so far?

Having to start from scratch lol. Everyone wants their player to be good, and mine is far from it

4. Do you have any questions about the league that you would like answered?

Honestly no. The thing I like the most is the notifications that we all get. Really makes sure no one misses anything

5. For our S67 players, do you plan on going up to the VHL, or staying down? For our S68 players, or S67 players going back into the VHLM draft, which team do you think will pick you up? Which team do you hope will pick you up?

I was lucky enough to be the one that had the choice of where to land or not, so I chose Mexico City on my own. When it comes time to the VHL, I couldnt care less. I still have an attachment and some feelings to Helsinki cause thats a team I GMed and played for.

6. The VHL currently offers a bit of bonus TPE for being involved in our affiliates, the SBA (basketball league) and the EFL (American football league). Have you heard about this? If you have, have you considered joining those leagues? If you came here from either league, how does the VHL compare to the others?

I have heard about them but unofrtunately I have no time to be in the SHL, VHL and any other league. RIght now I will enjoy the ride here and see where it takes me

I am fairly new to the league and as of right now I don't mind it. I'm not a overly huge fan of hockey but I do enjoy the sport. As for the league, I like the many opportunities for extra uncapped TPE. Makes it easy to keep up with your max earners or jump ahead of others (if you're a max earner), assuming you're a really good guesser. What I didn't like initially about the site was the formatting. Some sections seemed to be jumbled together where they could easily be split up or moved to be more efficient.   

Some players may know this but based off my experiences, we have a very active team chat. Like day to day or league stuff is all talked about. It's very entertaining and honestly is a great way to get to know your fellow teammates.

It's been out there but Ricky Johnson has a cousin in the SBA. In fact they're currently both living and playing for organizations in the same city.

Absolutely we do. I feel like there is plenty of competition in the VHLM, so it's not going to be easy. Our biggest hurdle for sure would be the Minnesota Storm.

Ironically enough, I would want to go to the Minnesota Storm. They were the team that I had originally been part of when entering the league and looking at them now, they're probably one of the favorites to win the VHLM Cup.

Definitely a Canadian team. So most likely Calgary, Vancouver, or Toronto. If I had to choose one, I'd go with Vancouver.

It's great, I'm here to stay.

Not much, if anything, i would nitpick at the clarity of TPE guides. Some guides could use some more detailed instructions on the ways to gain, but then again, the community is nice and would answer any questions and the newsletter was a help.

Yes it cleared up some things that were confusing.

This is going to be fun! I really like it so far. 

Just quicker updates and approvals.

Yes, I read it and it helped me tremendously.

I want to upgrade my TPE constantly for maximum results and need to sign with a VHLM team. Hopefully Yukon! 

5) With the teams starting to take shape, who do you consider to be the favorite for the VHLM Founders Cup?

I like Yukon and Minnesota!

6a) Is there any player on your VHL team that you're particularly looking forward to playing with when you make the VHL? (For players who were also in the VHL Draft)

I would like to play on the same team as Erik Draven! I am not on a team yet.

I'm a free agent!

6c) If a GM were to make you an offer, what kind of player would they be getting? (If you're currently unaffiliated).

They would be getting big young defenseman that puts defense first and has a great outlet pass when transitioning from zone to zone. Playmaker and hard to move off the puck due to his 6ft 6" 220 lb frame. 

The community is great; full of helpful and friendly people. I'm looking forward to interacting with more people down the road.

I would like to see the league grow to have minors clubs for the VHL teams so players can be drafted to only one team.

I did read it, learned a few things in there so it was helpful yes!

I'm hoping to make an impact in my team this season. I joined in while the season was already underway but I'm looking to hit the ground running and make a difference.

The Philadelphia Reapers are on the upswing and looking like strong contenders to getting the cup this season. We'll just have to wait and see.

6b) What do you think of your current VHLM team?

The Saskatoon Wild have a shot at making a deep run in the playoffs with some effort. I like the team and hope this is the case.

It’s been a lots of fun. I like playing in the top league and competing against the best.

We are the future champs.

Going to be a top 5 player from the season 67 draft.

Not this year.

5. If you were being traded to any other VHL team, but you were able to pick which one, where would you go?

I’m not sure I would have a preferred team.

i am drafted already.

Lots of friendly and devoted people.

Can't think of any yet.

I did and yes, parts were helpful

To build my player up into a top postion.

Philadelphia Reapers.

6b) What do you think of your current VHLM team?

We are re-builders so it'll be a long season.

1. I love it it seems like a really fun and structured league 

2. I don't yet know enough about the league to comment on that

3. I have not read it I will look into it for sure!

4. To make myself the best possible player and help out my team in any way they need me

5. ottawa looks to have a fairly solid team.

6a.looking forward to playing with Balentine Kidd, hes a pgg so thats pretty solid

I am not new to the league but still enjoy it as a hobby. I enjoy creating a simulated player and watching his stats/

Nyko can be a pretty funny dude and perhaps even a decent GM

He is danish and looks up to Janiik Hansen

God no, Mexico City looks awful.

Just signed with Mexico City, probably will regret my choice but I don't really have a team preference. Any team who would want me and give me decent ice time.

Toronto but that won't happen cause Devise doesn't like draft picks :P

Things have changed a lot. A lot of new faces, this place feels very active from when I left a year ago. When I left the portal was in the early stages. Will was just putting the award pages and stuff together. Today I created a player, updated and applied skills, and it was eye-opening how better this system is. Can't say enough about the work that has been put into the league, and I'm very impressed with all the guys who have stepped up over the last year and have made this league as strong as it is.

Hard to really tell at this point. I thought I'd come in and know how to maximize my player as I've created 6 already and 4 which I played 8 seasons with. Things feel fresh, it feels like there is a lot for me to re-learn which is exciting. I think there could be better connections between Discord - Portal - Forum to know which player is which and who their VHL player is though.

I'll be hitting it up next!

This season is almost over, so I'm expecting to chip in as a depth forward. Hopefully build my stats up so that I'm not a liability on the ice.

I will need to do more research - however, that will play a big role into where I decide to sign!

6c) If a GM were to make you an offer, what kind of player would they be getting? 

They are getting a member who has been multiple GM in VHLM and multiple time GM in the VHL level. I have a lot of experience in the sim in getting success in player development as well as many championships in the VHLM. I think I'm easy to get along with and all that.

Yes. I enjoy seeing the team scoring each week as my player slowly creeps up in their points total. It's good that you have to work for your TPE.

Our forwards prioritize scoring over defense.

He played the last 2 weeks with a broken toe. 

Not at all.

Ottawa Lynx

Riga Rein

1. Who's winning the cup in the VHLM this season?
The Ottawa Lynx seem to have a slight edge over Philly thus far so I would vote for them.

2. Who's winning the cup in the VHL this season?
I would have to bet my money on the Toronto Legion personally.

3. Who on your team has made the biggest impact on you this season?
Hiromu Takahashi has made me feel welcome and is great at passing the puck in Mexico City

4. Who on a different team has made the biggest impact on you this season?
Codrick Past on VAN has been constantly flaming me and thus motivating me to improve more

5. If you could be drafted to any one VHL team, which would it be and why?
One of the new expansion teams would be pretty cool

6. What are your goals for your player's career?
Multiple MVPs and Cups!

1. Who's winning the cup in the VHLM this season?
Biased opinion on this one: Minnesota Storm

2. Who's winning the cup in the VHL this season?
Another biased opinion: Helsinki Titans. Thats a soft spot for me. But Toronto has a well rounded team aswell.

3. Who on your team has made the biggest impact on you this season?
Berocka Sundqvist, he makes the game easier when you on the same line as him.

4. Who on a different team has made the biggest impact on you this season?
No one, I do not think anyone likes me around here :(

5. If you could be drafted to any one VHL team, which would it be and why?
Helsinki Titans. I was a GM of them back in the day so it would be cool to go back to my old roots. Even Davos, they drafted my first player here

6. What are your goals for your player's career?
Stay active, and win a cup. Everything else will come along with it

For the week ending 8/25, for any VHLM player...

1. What are your plans for next season? Going up, or staying down?

2. What are your goals for next season? How do you expect to perform?

3. Do you have any teams you like outside of your own? If so, why?

4. Would you rather win 3 cups in your career, or never win a cup but build a Hall of Fame player?

5. What's your favorite song that I don't know?

6. Outside of hockey, sports, or sim leagues, what are your hobbies? How do you spend your free time?

1. What are your plans for next season? Going up, or staying down?

Not sure yet; I might stay at 200 TPA to the end of the season in order to make the jump to the major league in a more significant way.

2. What are your goals for next season? How do you expect to perform?

I'm aiming to produce a major amount of points so we'll see how it pans out. I expect to surprise a lot of people!

3. Do you have any teams you like outside of your own? If so, why?

Every team has a little something that I like. That being said, my mind might be changed if I lose in the finals in the future.

4. Would you rather win 3 cups in your career, or never win a cup but build a Hall of Fame player?

3 cups. That's the ultimate goal of every team, getting there three times in a single career is an achievement all on its own.

5. What's your favorite song that I don't know?

I would have said 21st Century Schizoid Man but... Ever heard this one?

6. Outside of hockey, sports, or sim leagues, what are your hobbies? How do you spend your free time?

Lately I've been watching a lot of terrible movies on purpose. It's something I like to do for fun, believe it or not.

Ten Questions For Any Player

1. Where are you and what are you doing?

Just got home. Sitting on the can.

5. How would you like to be remembered?

Best Player all time.

6. What is your worst trait?

Procrastination.

7. What's the best meal you ever had?

Steak.

8. If you could fly anywhere in the world right now where would you go?

Aruba.

9. Would you rather be rich or famous?

Rich. 

Q1. What are your plans for next season? Going up, or staying down?

A1. "Haven't really thought of anything yet, going to see how the draft goes first and roll from there."

Q2. What are your goals for next season? How do you expect to perform?

A2. "Hopefully perform like I did this season, sucks we got swept in the playoffs but a lot of good things happened for us and we are still growing stronger each week that passes."

Q3. Do you have any teams you like outside of your own? If so, why?

A3. "I'm down to play anywhere, if I could pick a place to play it would be somewhere in Canada though."

Q4. Would you rather win 3 cups in your career, or never win a cup but build a Hall of Fame player?

A4. "At first I wanted to say build a Hall of Fame player and be humble but after thinking about it a little more I'd rather build a player that is capable of winning championships and if I can do that I'll most likely make the Hall of Fame as well."

Q5. What's your favorite song that I don't know?

A5. "I have too many favorite songs but a tune that's popping right now would be.. Smoove L - Through The Night."

Q6. Outside of hockey, sports, or sim leagues, what are your hobbies? How do you spend your free time?

A6. "Listen to music, play games and binge watch shows."

Going to answer these since the others don't really apply to me

Looks like a lot of fun, looking forward to it

An actual dark mode, my eyes are bleeding currently

I did not read it, but will do now. From what I read quickly, it seemed really helpful and I will read it frequently.

I aim to progress well and become a better player. I think that winning is secondary and that my main focus is going to be to develop and get better.

5) Who do you consider to be the favourite for the VHLM Founders Cup?

I have a bit of an advantage on this because the playoffs are currently under way, but I think that it will be the Ottawa Lynx, just because they seem to have good scoring players and two solid keepers.

I'm want to be a completely offensive minded forward. I want to be a top scoring kind of player.

Edited by Briedaqueduc