VHLM Player Press Conference

Tagger

1. How do you think you have done so far this season?

I've yet to touch the ice for my new team, the Saskatoon Wild, but I'm a big bodied center and I am sure I will make an impact as I take the ice for my team in the near future.

2. If you could sell yourself to the VHL teams in one sentence what would that sentence be?

Play the right way. I'm a player from a strong lineage of players and we have always played the game the right way.

3. Who do you model your play after?

Mostly my father, Connor Tanner he was a big bodied defensemen who focused on the back end of the ice primarily. I look to engage defensively before anything else.

4. Who in your family got you into hockey first and why did it stick?

My father was the first to make it professionally and it stuck because it paid well, we came from rural Ireland, it was do or die and he did.

5. What was your favorite hockey memory growing up?

My fathers first Challenge Cup with the Edmonton Blizzard of the SHL.

6. What do you wish to pass along to young hockey kids?

Play the game the right way. Even if you are not the most successful player you will be a well respected player.

1. How do you think you have done so far this season?

2. If you could sell yourself to the VHL teams in one sentence what would that sentence be?

3. Who do you model your play after?

4. Who in your family got you into hockey first and why did it stick?

5. What was your favorite hockey memory growing up?

6. What do you wish to pass along to young hockey kids?

1. Pretty shit to be honest, but think that's the fun of being a new player. I got my first point though! Hope I can earn TPE and be a better contributor for next season.

2. Plan on being a puck moving defensemen that can hopefully put up lots of offence. 

3. I want to be like Brent Burns, a 4th forward out there 

4. Grew up playing field hockey and I like the speed of ice hockey so transferred over and became a fan and started playing.

5. Favourite hockey memory was first time getting on ice and being able to play with a puck

6. Practice hard, play hard and have fun

1. It's a big step up from the previous minor hockey that i've played but im excited to be signed or drafted to a team.

2. So far i haven't been here long enough to see any major problems.

3. Haven't read it yet but will soon,

4. To be drafted or signed to a team where i can contribute and hopefully get to playoffs with.

5. My favourite to win the cup is Ottawa.

6c. If a GM was to sign me to their team they can expect a fast center that's able to get some energy into the lineup and help with shooting.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 9:21 AM, rjfryman said:

VHLM Players Answer 3 for 1 Capped TPE or 6 for 2 Capped TPE:

1. How do you think you have done so far this season? - I think I played a great defensive role, and I wish I could’ve been better offensively.

2. If you could sell yourself to the VHL teams in one sentence what would that sentence be? - I’m the best defensemen 

3. Who do you model your play after? Serge Savard and Zdeno Chara

4. Who in your family got you into hockey first and why did it stick? - I got into on my own

5. What was your favorite hockey memory growing up? - fighting the ref

6. What do you wish to pass along to young hockey kids? My amazing technique of authority and showing others how you get it done

1) Since it's not been too long since you've joined the league, what are thoughts on the league so far as a whole?

''I got a lot of help to understand how the league work, a lot of minor league GM help me and ask questions to me , I clearly appreciate it''

2) Are there any areas in the league that you would like to see a change/improvement? 

''Would like to see more team's but we need more player's so.''

3) The VHLM Newsletter launched earlier this week, did you read it and was it helpful to you?

''Yes can help for new players''

4) What are your aims this season in the VHLM?

''would like to at least get a spot in a team , and try to force the team to take me as a full time player''

5) With the teams starting to take shape, who do you consider to be the favourite for the VHLM Founders Cup?

I see missisauga hounds being good this year , but hard to predict a winner.''

6a) Is there any player on your VHL team that you're particularly looking forward to playing with when you make the VHL? (For players who were also in the VHL Draft)Nop

6b) What do you think of your current VHLM team? (If you were selected in the VHLM Draft)(Not selected)

6c) If a GM were to make you an offer, what kind of player would they be getting? (If you're currently unaffiliated).

a good two way forward, mostly defensive, team player , gonna take the hit for the team and the garbage job in front of the net.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Since it's not been too long since you've joined the league, what are thoughts on the league so far as a whole?

I really like it. It has a nice clean look, but also seems highly professional. I really like it. 

2) Are there any areas in the league that you would like to see a change/improvement? 

I don't think so. I think it's great the way it is. 

3) The VHLM Newsletter launched earlier this week, did you read it and was it helpful to you?

Currently, I have not. But in due time, I'll absolutely check it out. 

I'd like to grow as a whole. Helping my team mates succeed along the way. That's the goal ultimately. 

5) With the teams starting to take shape, who do you consider to be the favourite for the VHLM Founders Cup?

It's really hard to predict. I'll take the high road on this one, and say it's for anybody to win. 

6c) If a GM were to make you an offer, what kind of player would they be getting? (If you're currently unaffiliated).

You would get someone who's dedicated, reliable, and trustworthy. But also someone who likes to have fun, and enjoy himself. 

- League is cool. I didn't liked that long off-season, but in general - it's cool. Interesting to see my player kinda good on the ice, even with so less TPE.

- In multiple other simleagues, forums are more easy to understand. I think we need to change that a bit here.

- No, I didn't read it.

- Some goals and assists. Our team is playing good, so championship would be cool aswell.

- Team for what I play for - Hounds!

6a) Is there any player on your VHL team that you're particularly looking forward to playing with when you make the VHL? (For players who were also in the VHL Draft)

- I don't have any specific team which I really like, so I will be happy with some nice ice time and that's it!

+2 TPE

- VHL is very cool. The off-season seems quite long, so if I get into it, that could be an issue for me, but in general, I love the idea. My goal is to continue to build my player into a better, consistent presence on and off the ice.

I find the number of forums quite confusing. Many seem inactive, others are only for old players but unless you read every pinned thread, you wouldn't know it. I've been doing a lot of reading and I still find it confusing.

- Didn't see it yet.

I'd like to be at least a point a game player.

-Whichever team I sign for.

6a) Is there any player on your VHL team that you're particularly looking forward to playing with when you make the VHL? (For players who were also in the VHL Draft)

- Any of the top point getters. This will help me out, as well as the team.

+2 TPE

• 2 weeks later...

VHLM Players Answer 3 for 1 Capped TPE or 6 for 2 Capped TPE

1. What first made you love hockey and want to play for the VHL?
  2. What do you do when you do not play hockey?
  3. What is something your team does not know about you and your playing ability?
  4. Who do you look up to in your locker-room? VHL as a whole?
  5. What goals do you have in the VHL? If you could be know for one thing in the VHL what would it be?
  6. How do you see yourself in 3 seasons?

1. Watching the Oilers play when I was 4.

2. Game, playing a lot of MB2 right now

3. I am actually trash at face-offs, but they still believe I'm a good center

4. In locker room probably Sakic, for the whole of the VHL HHH.

5.  I'm hoping I turn out to be at least a point per game player, I know it'll be way tougher to compete in the VHL than in the M.

6. By then I'll be a promising up and coming center for whatever VHL team drafts me.

23 hours ago, rjfryman said:

VHLM Players Answer 3 for 1 Capped TPE or 6 for 2 Capped TPE

3. What is something your team does not know about you and your playing ability?
  5. What goals do you have in the VHL? If you could be know for one thing in the VHL what would it be?

1. I have been in skates for as along as I could walk. Despite growing up in a warm climate where Hockey wasn't a big deal, I have loved the game my entire life. My dad played pro hockey in Europe and was a big influence on me.

2. I wrangle Tigers. I am the Tiger King. My Netflix documentary has been ranked #1 for over 4 months and is the talk of the town. Everyone knows Carole Baskin is guilty.

3. My team doesn't really know that I'm a goal scorer by nature! I haven't had the ice time to put up numbers that I have throughout my career, but after discussions with @DMaximus and doing a lot of work on my game, especially faceoffs, I am going to start getting second line center minutes.

4. @Bob Helminen - This guy is a stud and carries himself like a pro should.

5. As a top 5 LW prospect in the upcoming draft, I have high expectations. I hope to be on the first line in the VHL within 3 seasons.

6. As I coincidentally stated above, I hope to be on the first line of a VHL team within the next 3 seasons.

What first made you love hockey and want to play for the VHL?

I grew up in Kamloops and watched my local WHL team play at a very young age.  These were my role models and I aspired to become just like them and progress as far as I could in the sport I love.  In my case that could have been the NHL or VHL, but I trust my agency and it was an opportunity with the NHL shut down for now and the VHL still operating cautiously.

What do you do when you do not play hockey?

I enjoy video games and hanging out with my friends and family.  I have been playing a fair bit on my Switch lately and otherwise spend the majority of my time staying in shape and prepared mentally for the rigors that the Victory Hockey League will bring to me in the future.

What is something your team does not know about you and your playing ability?

Well I don't quite have a team yet as of posting this, but I think people overlook my defending a fair bit.  I get a lot of attention for my aggressiveness offensively but my defensive work is something I certainly pride myself on.

Who do you look up to in your locker-room? VHL as a whole?

Two of my VHL idols as I've proceeded in my amateur career were Joseph McWolf and Condor Adrienne.  I also believe in my agency that has great supportive role models like Ryan Sullivan and Michael Angelo, to help advise me going forward.

What goals do you have in the VHL? If you could be know for one thing in the VHL what would it be?

Being a Hall of Fame defender is obviously a goal but I would really love to put my name on a Continental Cup.  Everything else is second.  

How do you see yourself in 3 seasons?

I hope to be in the Victory Hockey League within three seasons and developing into the talented defender I believe I can be.

I have been a huge hockey fan since I remember myself and it truly just felt like a right opportunity, I have tried other sports too but they just didn't feel right. My fondest memory is still these amazing runs we have seen from 2003/2006 Tampa Bay Lightning, a dominance and fun. That is what brought me to love hockey and play it professionally in VHL.
    I have been a huge fantasy guy, anything in terms of reading, gaming, watching. Just give anything that has elves, dwarves and goblins and I will love it. That said - fun fact - I watched Lord of the Rings, Two Towers 5 times in a row while in 4th grade as me and my best friend loved these movies so much we wanted to catch every awesome detail from it. 
    I want to be a respectable defensive player and a true goalscorer. I have all the tools to do both so why not?
    Conversations, jokes, fun, excitement. There are  a lot of things that are there to be happy about, mostly winning and that is what makes us understand value of ourselves. 
    To be fair,  I don't think I actually have any goals. But there is one thing I want to be known about - bees, I tend bees.
    Leading Malmo Nighthawks to their first Continental Cup!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2020 at 5:39 PM, FrostBeard said:

1. My dad strapped skates on me when I was 2 years old. He made a homemade rink for me in my backyard every year so I could practice on. He bought plywood so I could practice shots in my driveway. He patched holes in the drywall from pucks I had missed the net on in my basement. So... my dad. 

2. Video games. PS4 & Xbox. I love sports sim games and GTA. 

3. I am continually trying to improve my defense. It may not always be pretty. I may not be perfect, but I will get there.

4. It used to be @Da_Berr& @Berocka but they both left after a dreadful season. I can't blame them. Now, I am trying to use what they have taught me and be a role model to those with less experience. If nothing else, I can at least be the guy that led S71 Mississauga Hounds in scoring. 

5. I do not want to be a 4th line plug playing 5 minutes a game, with 0.0001 points per game. I want to maintain my point per game ratio. 

I would want to be known for scoring at an elite rate.

6. I want to make the VHL and play big minutes on a competitive team.

22 hours ago, LastOneUp said:
  • What first made you love hockey and want to play for the VHL?
  • What do you do when you do not play hockey?
  • What is something your team does not know about you and your playing ability?
  • Who do you look up to in your locker-room? VHL as a whole?
  • What goals do you have in the VHL? If you could be know for one thing in the VHL what would it be?
  • How do you see yourself in 3 seasons?

Watching old hockey games with my family. The brawls, grit & passion that was needed to win back then was astounding. It was very different than today. Overall, there is more skill in today's game, but I miss the grit from the past.

After getting out of prison, I went back to training big cats. I still own over 200 tigers at my zoo despite that bitch Carole Baskin trying to shut me down for good.

I am a bad mother f*cker. We haven't had many really rough games this season, but when shit goes down in the playoffs, I will straight up beat down opponents.

@Dilly Dilly - He led our team in scoring during my first year with 49 goals, 54 assists, 103 points. On top of being a +42. This guy is good. @Bob Helminen ain't too bad either (42 goals, 102 points). They both lead by example every day.

I will forever be the VHLer with a #1 Netflix show for 18 weeks while serving prison time at the beginning of the season, to being second line center for the Reapers by seasons end. I hope to someday lead my team in scoring.

I will be in the VHL. I can't predict with who, but there are a lot of potential suitors that have been tampering a bit with me by trying to know I'm in their future plans. tsk tsk, shame on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Questions:

1. Where do you see yourself going in the draft?

2. What do you think is your biggest selling point to VHL teams?

3. How do you feel you add to a lockerroom?

4. Who will be the first person not in the room with you that you will call once you get drafted?

5. Out of all the players in the VHL, who do you model your game after?

6. What do you want your legacy to be in the VHL?

3 minutes ago, rjfryman said:

Questions:

4. Who will be the first person not in the room with you that you will call once you get drafted?

1. I have been slated to go top 3-5 for most of the last few weeks in the VHLM Dispersal Draft. How that translates to my overall draft spot, we shall see! The higher, the better.

2. My offensive ability. I have one of the best shots in the VHLM.

3. I add a lot of pop culture flavour to the room. A helping hand for newer players. And an active voice in the community.

4. My grandparents. We are having to stay apart because of COVID-19 but I will definitely be calling them.

5. I am most closely like @Banackock in how I want to model my game. His goal scoring ability is a rare thing. 

6. I want to be known as one of the best offensive players of all time. Period. 

3 minutes ago, rjfryman said:

Questions:

Wolf Stansson

Honestly I am not sure. I'd love to go in the first round, but there are so many good D-men in the VHLM draft this season.

I work hard, and I will consistently and constantly improve. I have a good learning curve, and I'm not afraid to work.

I am a nice guy, a good presence, who tries to mediate between players. Thus, we can be unified going into games. I'm pretty social, and that helps.

My mother. She has always been my biggest supporter, and she hasn't been able to be around much since I relocated to North America from Iceland.

Perhaps Berocka Sundqvist. He's a champion!

I want to be remembered as a player who could be a two-way defenseman, but also a tough, lock-down guy when necessary. Basically, I want the VHL quintessential defenseman to be me, when people think of it.

On 5/11/2020 at 11:42 AM, rjfryman said:

Questions:

1. Late first round, no doubt. VHLM teams are going to love the prospect of a defenseman with an early start on his season 1TPE.

2. I've got some extra TPE from my time as a waiver pickup, and a ton of experience building STHS players.

3. I bring a supportive voice, a dry sense of humor and an appreciation of a good understatement.

4. Probably my wife, since she's the only one I talk to about this.

5. Odin Omdahl, no doubt. He's responsible in his end and knows how to shoot.

6. I want to be remembered as the first hockey player ever to be a mall Santa during the season.

-Definitely first round for sure, possibly top five. I am one of the top three defensemen in the draft and not much separates us, but I think I can be a top five pick.

-My two way game, which definitely was a surprise to me. I expected to be all defense, but Zod can make plays.

-I haven't been super active in my locker rooms but during my first career, I was extremely active. When I get drafted I expect to be more active and be a strong locker room presence.

-Not in the room with me? Probably my grandparents.

-I have three guys in mind, but they are pretty different. I was looking at Jerry Garcia and Hulk Hogan as my models, but a guy like Smitty Werbenjagermanjenson, who can get it done on both ends of the ice, is also one of my idols.

I want to make it to the Hall of Fame, but winning cups is most important to me.

Questions:

1. In the VHLM Dispersal Draft, I expect to go 4 or 5 to the Saskatoon Wild.

2. I think my biggest selling point will be my offensive instincts and the IQ and vision that I possess.  I feel it allows me to control the ice effectively when I'm out there.

3. I have an experienced team behind me which have helped me prepare for the day-to-day grind and I think I could effectively share my insight with any new teammate I get.

4. Likely my parents as they cannot make the trip with everything going on in the world.

5. I generally model my game after Smitty from the Moscow Menace.  Dude's a beast and I have looked at his game from afar as I grew in junior.

6. I want to be someone that could be relied on in big games but someone that could take care of business on and off the ice.

Questions:

1. As a late bloomer for the S72 VHLM Dispersal Draft, I expect to be a late round pick in the draft. Hopefully a team can see what I bring to the table and the potential I have, and will take a chance. We will see.

2. Right now, my strengths are my smooth skating ability, along with the ability to finish plays. The biggest selling point however I would say is my high ceiling, in which I believe I will continue to grow and progress as the weeks pass. I am obsessed with getting better every day, and I strive for greatness.

3. I add a friendly voice with a good sense of humour. While still learning, I am very supporting and encouraging of my teammates. 

4. My grandfather, for sure. He was a big influence on me getting into the game at a young age, and with everything going on right now, unfortunately he will not be able to be with me. 

5. I would have to say Scott Greene. A very well rounded player that excels at both ends of the ice, specializing in scoring, but no slouch in the defensive done or in the face-off dot either. Definitely a guy I love to watch.

6. I want to remembered as a player who always gave it their all, was clutch when they needed to be, and had very limited weaknesses. All I can do is be the best version of myself, and that's what I am going to do. 

On 5/11/2020 at 8:42 AM, rjfryman said:

Questions:

1. I see myself getting picked in later rounds of the draft due to my skills being somewhat raw, but I am positive whatever team picks me up will sure be glad they did.

2. My skating and scoring ability will be strong selling points for me to get drafted. Teams that are looking to make it far this season will need to see production from all lines and I hope to provide that. 

3. Ill be coming in as a rookie so I will have to prove myself. You're going to get someone that is hard working and wants to see the team succeed. While I am serious on the ice, I try to bring a lighthearted nature to the locker room and build chemistry with my teammates that grows outside of just the game. 

4. My older brother. He was the one that got me into hockey in the first place and I am here to follow in his footsteps. 

5. Uhtred has always been a player I've looked at and tried to emulate. His skating and scoring ability are what I am trying to bring to teams that I am on. (Plus you gotta love some Last Kindgom). 

6. I want to be able to look back on my career and see one thing. I helped teams win championships. 

Questions:

1. Somewhere mid to back side of the first if I were to guess.

2. Scoring, hitting, Desire to win, ability to play all up and down the lineup.

3. I keep my nose down and grind it out. I may not be the most vocal, but I'll be there when my team needs me.

4. My paps back in Moscow.

5. I base my game off of my dad Dan Baillie. Not the most flashy name but big time team guy. Played physical, was clutch, and could put up the points when needed.

6. A team player. Someone who left it all on the ice. That helped win many championships!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2018 at 2:17 PM, Tagger said:

6b) What do you think of your current VHLM team? (If you were selected in the VHLM Draft)

1. This is technically my second time round, but I am really enjoying it so far, and it helps that my team is doing well.

2. A dark mode for the forum would be nice.

3. I honestly didn't even know that was a thing... might have to look into it.

4. Establish myself as a decent player, so that I can breakout next season.

5. Philadelphia. No bias.

6b. I like it so far. I've been getting plenty of assistance and the locker room has been great so far.