VHLM Player Press Conference

Tagger

1. What are your plans for next season? Going up, or staying down?
A: Have my first official season in the VHLM, hope to do well in it!

2. What are your goals for next season? How do you expect to perform?
A: I expect to be the best player in the league and win the championship!

3. Do you have any teams you like outside of your own? If so, why?
A: No real preference for teams, there are a lot of new teams I'm not familiar with. Hopefully can end up on one where I can be a star player and decently competitive.

I'll post another here if anyone needs it:

1. If you've formed a connection with any member outside of your own team, who is it and why? If you haven't, has anyone stood out to you as someone you'd like to get to know?

2. What's the most well-done point task you've completed this season? If you're new, do you have any big plans for future submissions?

3. Describe what's good about this league in five words or fewer.

4. Do you know of any VHL players whose build you may want to emulate in the future? If not, find one, and say who it is here.

5. Look at the roster of Vancouver, as well as Helsinki and Riga (or, if the series is over by the time you answer, either Helsinki or Riga, depending on who won) and predict who will get the Cup in the finals.

6. If you could control where the latest expansion team were to go, where would you put it and what would you name it?

On 8/28/2019 at 1:33 AM, GustavMattias said:

I'll post another here if anyone needs it:

1. If you've formed a connection with any member outside of your own team, who is it and why? If you haven't, has anyone stood out to you as someone you'd like to get to know?

2. What's the most well-done point task you've completed this season? If you're new, do you have any big plans for future submissions?

4. Do you know of any VHL players whose build you may want to emulate in the future? If not, find one, and say who it is here.

5. Look at the roster of Vancouver, as well as Helsinki and Riga (or, if the series is over by the time you answer, either Helsinki or Riga, depending on who won) and predict who will get the Cup in the finals.

6. If you could control where the latest expansion team were to go, where would you put it and what would you name it?

1. Maybe a little bit with @Tate, although I suspect he may find me a bit overbearing. And of course with some of the GM's and commissioners too.

2. I think at least one of my 500 word Point Tasks and one of my 200 word articles came out pretty well. I used to be pretty proficient in Photoshop, but have worked mostly with coding professionally the past 10 years, but I hope to get back to making some nice graphics for my player and for the league.

3. Hockey and community.

4. Without diving too deeply, perhaps @Tagger. My build is arrogantly aimed to target something of a Lidström and he has incorporated a decent amount of leadership together with other key skills.

5. I am not apt enough to evaluate builds and how the engine handles them, obviously only looking at TPE is not always enough, and how the GM distributes the players in the lines seems (fortunately) to have an effect too. But I think Vancouver will get it.

6. I think Texas needs a VHL team, or one of the southern states, even Florida would be OK. My joke article suggested Amarillo Sarsaparillas... but a more serious answer, while trying to avoid existing franchise towns in NHL/VHL/VHLM would perhaps be the Memphis Soul.

Edited by Elmebeck

1) Since it's not been too long since you've joined the league, what are thoughts on the league so far as a whole?

A: I've been very impressed with the league so far, I am excited to get started! People have been very generous to help me when I need it!

2) Are there any areas in the league that you would like to see a change/improvement? 

A: So far I am just starting so everything is still new to me, I'm interested in learning all that I can though!

3) The VHLM Newsletter launched earlier this week, did you read it and was it helpful to you?

A: I haven't gotten around to reading that yet as I am still trying to get my grip on everything around the league..

4) What are your aims this season in the VHLM?

A: I am looking to get drafted to a great team to start my journey as a player!

5) With the teams starting to take shape, who do you consider to be the favourite for the VHLM Founders Cup?

A: Just jumping into the league now it seems that the founders cup has already ended.

6) If a GM were to make you an offer, what kind of player would they be getting? (If you're currently unaffiliated).

A:   I am looking to thrive as a great goal scorer.  I want players to be intimidated by me when I have the puck in a great area.

I haven't really had time to make connections, but I've talked a little bit with @McWolf and he seemed pretty cool. I'm looking forward to meeting more people

I'm going to see what I can do with the time that I will have. With enough time, I would really like to do some graphics.

Easy updating through portal

I want to build an high scoring player. If I had to compare it to a VHL player, I guess it would be Rauno Palo

Well the playoffs are done, so this question is pointless. I guess I could say that I'm not that surprised, considering Vancouver had a great roster, including Rauno Paulo

I'm from Quebec, so I would like it to be in the province. My proposition is the Montreal Patriotes.

1.  What is your inspiration on playing hard in the league?

2.  Have you found it hard to get a start in the league scoring wise?

3.  Have you had any issues so far with your current team?

4.  If you could pick to be on any team who would it be?

5.  Who is your favorite player in the league and what makes that player stand out the most for you?

6.  Is there a specific player or players that you would love to play with?

7.  What type of player do you consider yourself and is that the goal you had set coming into the league?

8.  What do you love training the most for your on ice experience?

9.  If you could fix your current teams logo/name what would you like to see?

10.  Do you wish to stay with your team even if they finish the season early?

3 hours ago, Harpskii said:

5.  Who is your favorite player in the league and what makes that player stand out the most for you?

7.  What type of player do you consider yourself and is that the goal you had set coming into the league?

1. Right now it's redemption, I blew my last player I want to see through a full career with Jerry Wang.

2. Initially no, after messing with my build I realize I need to change a lot to bring me back to where I want to be.

3. Mostly just the whole satanic cult thing that they have going on but other than that great group of guys.

4. I'd love to come back to Hali for another season but there's very few programs I'd dislike playing for.

5. Alexander Pepper because we used to be BOYS.

6. Not particularly, I'm sure I'll have more opinions on that when I'm in the VHL though.

7. I'm building a scoring winger based on speed but it's not working out so far.

8. I'm not sure I understand the question.

9. Probably a different name than the "21st", kind of strange.

10. It's not really about how far you go it's more who you play with.

5 hours ago, Harpskii said:

1. constantly grinding and working my way up

2. yes very, I was pointless my first 20 games

3. No I haven't they all seem like great people.

4. Calgary Wranglers

5. Balentine Kidd. He is a great center who loves to score goals

6. Balentine Kidd and Liam Rooney. We go back a ways on discord.

7. A more playmaking version of Draisaitl. I didn't know who I wanted to be at the very start but I know now

8. Skating ability

9. Mississauga Ice Dogs

10. Yes I do wish to stay with them.

5 hours ago, Harpskii said:

1. I'm a spastic, I go all in or don't do it at all (or half-arsed), and this is just fun to put some time into. Getting back to writing, making graphics, using your imagination.

2. Stats are secondary. But I have realized I am a bit TPE-obsessed. Maybe that will pass.

3. The Houston Experience (Tm) with @FrostBeard was the perfect introduction to VHL.

4. Prague. I was leaning towards New York, but with the expansion teams and @diamond_ace I believe I would be happier there.

5. Oh, again, perhaps @Tagger; solid stats and a decent amount of leadership, which rhymes well with my intended build of some sort of Lidström.

6. @Tate, singularly.

7. Again, some sort of Lidström build. Perhaps not "The Perfect Human" (I'd have loved a bit of Scott Hartnell in Lidström's demeanor), but play-by-play on the ice, something akin to that.

8. No preference. I think that's perhaps the weakness of VHL and the engine that you HAVE to have certain stats at certain levels. I would love if the simulation engine was more forgiving in players making more fun builds.

9. Nothing to fix at Houston, I think they have the best logo of VHLM.

10. I'll be moving up to VHL now, but I will probably try to stay with the team that drafts me until the end of my player's career.

19 hours ago, Harpskii said:

1.  To prove im the the very best player in the league and to prove my doubters wrong.

2.  Not really, scoring has always been an asset in my game.  Its the rest of my game that needs work.

3.  Nope, everyone has been great.  @Elmebeckhas been a great partner in crime.

4.  No preference.  Happy to play for whoever pays me.

5.  Zeno Minitti was my rival in the VHLM scoring race, so I would say him.

6.  HOpefully I can play with @Elmebeckagain, we bonded on and off the ice.

7.  I consider myself an offensive scoring machine and that is exactly how my two seasons in the VHLM have played out.

8.  Bicep curls.  Curls for the girls.

9.  Nothing to fix, we had the best designer in the VHLM.

10.  This might not be happening as I will be moving p the VHL, as well as being a candidate for the expansion draft.

23 hours ago, Harpskii said:

1. Just to keep at it and be active. Don't have to earn to the cap every week, as long as you do what you can, when you can.

2. I was in a real good spot with Halifax. Top minutes, playing with our top forwards. Was really happy with the year I had.

3. We got beat in the semis by Ottawa. Good group of guys all around, but would have been nice to squeeze out a few more wins this year.

5. I'm liking Matt Thompson. Has been good pretty much every year, achieved greatness for a couple ones, and has the stats and play style I want to have in the VHL

6. Former Hali alumni would be cool, but there are so many great players all over the league.

7. Goal scorer. Shoot the puck a lot and lay the body. Couple of fights here and there would be cool. Still working on the last 2 aspects

1. What is your inspiration on playing hard in the league?

It's an honor to getting in opportunity to play in the VHLM and I am looking forward to what the future holds in fighting for a top spot in the VHL Draft. 

Scoring-wise, sure. It's a new system and my first VHLM team experience but I found myself more comfortable setting up scoring opportunities for my teammates instead.

My only real issue in my stint in Halifax was too short! We had a great roster of quality players along with one of the best management staff in the league.

Jerry Garcia on Malmo cause he puts emphasis in the Defense in the word Defenseman and doing whatever it takes help his team using his body and supporting his mates.

Honestly any other Halifax alum would be great in carrying solid chemistry, either that or Jerry Garcia so that I can learn a lot from him

My bread and butter and golden desire is to skate backwards as well as I can skate forwards giving me game-changing positioning and to completely shut down my opponents.

I have formed a good connection with Jet Jaguar, he will be my mentor and teach me the ways of the VHL.

I want to emulate Chico Smeb, he is extremely underrated

I would have probably have predicted HEL slightly, but the series is now over and I'm happy for VAN!

1) I have been shocked at the graphical design talent that it seems everyone here has. I simply can't compete on that level.

2) None that I've seen yet!

3) I did! It was actually a really great way to be introduced to parts of the league that I didn't know about yet.

4) I want to win a Founders Cup.

5) The Philadelphia Reapers look poised to break out this year.

6c) They would be getting a defensively minded defenseman, focused on physical play and team leadership.

1) Since it's not been too long since you've joined the league, what are thoughts on the league so far as a whole?

It's amazing to see so many talented people. I'm hoping being around all this talent will help me grow as a person and player.

2) Are there any areas in the league that you would like to see a change/improvement?

It's a little challenging to initially find the resources to get a good start in the league. The information is there it's just sometimes hard to find. But after enough digging I've found plenty of information to get my career going.

3) The VHLM Newsletter launched earlier this week, did you read it and was it helpful to you?

The VHLM Newsletter has been super helpful and filled with great content. The news section is a great way to get caught up on what's happening in the league. All the tips and tricks have really helped me out.

I'd like to establish myself as a great defensive player. I want to grow as an individual but I also want to grow along side a great team. Just for the fun of it I'd love to get a Gordie Howe hat trick.

5) With the teams starting to take shape, who do you consider to be the favourite for the VHLM Founders Cup?

Vegas has a lot of early round picks this year so I'm expecting they'll come out of the gate swinging. But at this point really anything can happen. You'll especially have to look out for what ever team picks me up in the draft.

6) If a GM were to make you an offer, what kind of player would they be getting?

I'm a defensively minded defenseman. I like to use my physicality to control play. I'm still working on building myself into a solid player so I'm really open to building myself my teams needs rather than focusing solely on what I want.

1. Everyone has been helpful and welcoming.  A lot of really good guidance.

2. So far I haven't seen anything that would need improvement, every question/problem I've had, I've been able to find an answer or someone who would guild me to an answer.

3. I've read the newsletter and it's more or less what I've been using as the guide to answer questions I have.

4. Really work on my defensive game, and maybe lay a couple of guys out with the hitting game... oh and avoid that penalty box.

5. I'm still getting familiar with the teams, but gut feeling says Mississauga could break out this year.

6c. Whatever team I end up on, they'll get a stay at home defenseman, who will be working on the hitting game.

I have this drive to win, and when you work hard you win.

not really haha, my rookie season in the vhlm was a great success as I lead my team in scoring for part of the season

not at all, in fact I have to commend my gm for all the hard work he does.

Missisaga

5.  Who is your favorite player in the league and what makes that player stand out the most for you?

In don’t have a specific player in general as I have never really looked at the vhl

Rooney and Telk are the two I would really like to continue playing with.

My Grandfather. He told me to always work hard. And he was always right. So I always work hard.

Yes. Condor Adrienne. He is is sort of my mentor. So I would love to be able to play with him at some point.

A hardworking, physical defensive defenseman. My goal for my first season is to work hard. And to end with a positive +/-.

Skating. And shooting. And puck handling. Because I can do it at home, dont need to go out of town for that.

Dont have a team yet but this one is easy. Stick a volvo 240 on there and we’re good to go. Everything is better when a Volvo is involved. Everything.

Yes. Loyalty is important. Thats what my grandfather always said. And he was ALWAYS right. So yes, I would stay on that hypothetical team.

Edited by Thatguy91

Getting my name on the scoresheet is what drives me.

I've yet to be drafted, but I expect it to be difficult, since the other players will be much better than me.

Not drafted yet, but I haven't had problems with anyone so far, everyone is pretty chill

It would be either Halifax or Ottawa, simply because they are both near where I live

I guess Rauno Palo. I really like how he ended the season with that many points. He's the kind of player I want mine to be.

I guess him, I would like to learn from him

I'll rephrase that as what type of player am I aiming to be next season. I want to be scoring a lot, maybe even getting top of the league.

I love shooting targets. It helps with my precision.

I don't have a team, but if I had to change a team's logo, I guess I would modernize Halifax's. I think it looks a little too flat and could maybe be changed.

Depends on the situation, but usually I would say yes.

I want to be the best the league had seen. It didn't really work out for me but I had a very good season and ended up getting drafted fourth overall into the VHL so it was all good in the end.

Scoring in my first season was definitely a challenge. I focused on my defensive game and that went well but I kind of wish I had put up some more offensive numbers.

The Mississauga Hounds and the Houston Bulls were both great for me.

My original pick in the VHL would have been the Helsinki Titans.

It has gotta be ACL TEAR. His different build interests me quite a bit.

I would have loved to play with Podrick Cast however there are also some guys on Vancouver that I am looking forward to playing with.

I am a two-way defenseman who may sway further to the defensive side of the puck. 

Anything in the defensive end.

I think the Wolves logo and name is actually great. It is simple, but I think simple is perfect for a sports team logo.

As I am moving up to the VHL this question doesn't really pertain to me.

On 4/13/2019 at 6:03 PM, BladeMaiden said:

What VHL team logo do you like best?

What VHLM team do you want to be drafted by?

Is your player a blonde, brunette or redhead?

Weirdest thing in your hockey bag?

Colored tape for your stick, totally yes or absolute no? why?

Funniest thing about your player?

What is your goal/ fight song?

1.  I think the new Prague Phantoms logo looks very nice.

2.  I wouldn't mind being drafted to Halifax 21st as they are the closest to my home town.

3.  I am definitely a brunette, although when I am on the ice the sweat makes it look like I have black hair.

4.  Yeah this is kind of an odd one but I always have an extra pair of crocs in my bag, easy slip on and they are very comfy after getting off the ice.

5.  For sure colored tape, I always thought it was very cool when I was younger..  Now it just seems so different because you always see most guys with normal white/black tape.

6.  This is more so embarrassing but when I was about 4 or 5 I was on the ice and needed to pee so bad that I couldn't hold it in.  Long story short I peed myself and everyone knew.

7.  My go to song for scoring is definitely Flexicution by Logic

On 8/21/2019 at 10:48 AM, GustavMattias said:

For the week ending 8/25, for any VHLM player...

1. What are your plans for next season? Going up, or staying down?

2. What are your goals for next season? How do you expect to perform?

3. Do you have any teams you like outside of your own? If so, why?

4. Would you rather win 3 cups in your career, or never win a cup but build a Hall of Fame player?

5. What's your favorite song that I don't know?

6. Outside of hockey, sports, or sim leagues, what are your hobbies? How do you spend your free time?

Gotta get that TPE somehow, so here goes an old PC thread:

1) I am planning on going up (obviously haha, as I'm over the cap). Pretty stoked!

2) It will be interesting to say the least, but I hope to be a starter by the end of the season. I think if I grind my TPE I can do it, but it will be close. 

3) I like Vancouver decently enough. When I first joined the league I keyed them in to win the cup, so I'm proud of that.

4) That's a very hard question. Honestly I don't know. 

5) Yikes-a-Daisies by Careless Cub (shameless self promotion because it's my band)

6) I play a lot of music and a lot of video games. Rocket League is a big one.

I like the layout of the claiming and updating.  I'm coming from the PBE and we don't have anything that approaches this kind of automation.  I'll bet it cuts down on a lot of errors that updaters have to take care of in the PBE.

I don't want to punt this one, but I've also only been in the league for a few hours.  I am impressed with what I've seen though and am eager to see things unfold.

I haven't read it in close detail yet, but I did browse it and I LOVE the format.  Very clear what the topics are and since I was recruited from the SHL (where I created only a few days earlier), the recruitment rewards were very interesting to me.  So, I looked that up and see that I can earn my friend up to 15 TPE (nice!) in the following way:
When your recruit hits 50 TPE, you're eligible for a 1 TPE payment, when your recruit reaches 100 TPE you're eligible for a 4 TPE payment. When your recruit hits 200 TPE, you're eligible for an additional 10 TPE payment. Each recruit can be worth up to 15 TPE. I'm really looking forward to getting to 200 TPE to get him the full reward, though I know that will take a while.

I just want to get drafted!  lol  So, I know from other sim leagues, you're bound to get drafted.  But seriously, I just want to get on a team, learn the ropes of the league, improve my player to help my team, enjoy the LR, and hopefully improve enough so that I go higher in the VHL draft than I'm bound to go tonight.

Looking at the last 3 years and believing past performance is the best predictor of future performance, I'd have to say Minnesota.  They were in the top 3 2x in those three years, won it all in S65 and came in second in S67.  Makes me feel they are a well-oiled machine with as good a chance as anyone in taking it all again.

6c) If a GM were to make you an offer, what kind of player would they be getting? (If you're currently unaffiliated).

I'm very good in the LR with a decent amount of activity, but also very supportive.  I'm not big into the drama that sometimes swirls around sim leagues and I'd rather encourage my teammates and cheer for my team than run anyone else down.