The Seattle Bears Dynasty - S68-S73 - A Comprehensive History

Victor

• Admin

Let's start with a nice honest preamble – it sucks to compete against a dynasty in the VHL. I've been on both ends of the divide in my time in the league but from S68 to S73 there was one clear dominant team and that wasn't mine. Like many others, appreciation for the 'Class of '67' Seattle Bears came fairly late for me which is the case with any dynasty – you hate playing against them and then you look back and think, damn, they were pretty good weren't they. That said, I've never hated the Bears, I've always been perplexed by them more than anything. I remember in S70, with the Bears coming off back-to-back championships but Moscow being the odds-on favourites for the Continental Cup, I was really hoping they would get knocked out by someone in the North American Conference because there was just something about this recent Seattle team which meant you didn't want to face them in a best-of-seven playoff series. Fortunately, the underdog team from Calgary obliged and knocked the Bears out, allowing the Menace to win the cup – one of two the Bears didn't win in an incredible 6-season span.

Given my and many others' confusion about Seattle's success and the fact the dynasty in its old shape has clearly ended, what better way to address than to dedicate a whole article to looking at the various aspects of the recent version of the Seattle Bears? It also helps of course that this was requested as part of the Christmas charity auction but I will probably be revisiting the Bears in a future dynasty comparison regardless – spoiler alert: they'll be pretty high up. But this is not about where they rank and it's certainly not about me; let's move onto the main event! And where else to start than the S67 draft...

:sea: THE CORE :sea:

From a historian perspective, the way the Bears' core formed has always fascinated me. I love it when a VHL GM builds a recognisable core that you can use as the starting point of any analysis. It doesn't necessarily have to come from one draft but that helps and in this case it very clearly did.

When GM Blake Campbell broke up the S65 Victory Cup winners, a regular season juggernaut featuring 3 future Hall of Famers in Matt Thompson, Sebastian Ironside, and Maxim Kovalchuk which contrived to consistently get knocked out in the first round, he embarked on the fourth rebuild of his illustrious GM career. Campbell had built two strong regular season teams (S52-S53 and S64-S65 Victory Cup winners) who couldn't quite rise to the occasion in the playoffs and one team led by Gabriel McAllister which very much did rise to the occasion in an undedog championship in S59. What he lacked was truly memorable team which would leave a lasting impression on the VHL public but this was also the first time he really had the assets for a good old school VHL firesale. The sales that off-season for themselves:

To Calgary, Davos, and New York

Maxim Kovalchuk, Sebastian Ironside, Veran Dragomir, Vyacheslav Smirnov, Piotr Jerwa, and the free agent rights of Matt Thompson (he would sign in Helsinki)

To Seattle

S66 CGY 1st (Shane Mars)

S67 SEA 1st (Rayz Funk)

S67 NYA 1st (Hulk Hogan)

S67 CGY 1st (Acyd Burn)

S67 DAV 2nd (Henrik Zoiderberg)

S67 CGY 2nd (Berocka Sundqvist)

S67 HSK 2nd (Kefka Palazzo)

Even if you don't recognise the names listed above, here's everything you need to know about how the trades went: Calgary, Davos, and New York won a combined 2 playoff series in the next 3 seasons (Seattle won the cup in the 3rd) and all of their GMs at the time were later fired.

A draft day deal also secured Campbell the pick used on Scott Greene. With 7 picks in the top 20 in S67, he only drafted one bust (11th overall Boone Jenton) but made up by picking up the underrated Kevin Low in the 4th round. With GM player Ambrose Stark joining Seattle directly under the old GM player rules, the famous S67 core was born:

Burn – Greene – Zoiderberg

Sundqvist

Hogan – Stark

Low

Funk

In S69, Low was essentially swapped directly for Guy LeGrande. Stark would end up moving up front and Sundqvist to defence, positions in which they became more famous. Greene, Stark, and Funk would spent 7 seasons in Seattle, retiring or leaving after their fourth cup in S73. Hogan and Sundqvist would make it all the way through to S74, with Hogan spending all 8 seasons with Seattle and making the S75 HOF ballot alongside Funk. While Funk is the most famous member of the core for his playoff heroics and VHL record 4 playoff MVP trophies, Stark, Hogan, and Sundqvist won individual trophies and along with Greene gained recognition in the regular season too with several All-VHL Team appearances. That would come in the 70s and latter halves of the S67s' careers though – team success came first...

:sea: SEASON 68 – THE FORTUNATE ONE :sea:

Although the potential of the class of 67 was not up for debate, no one, probably not even Seattle management, expected things to click so quickly. GM Campbell went back to the Calgary well between S67 and S68 and managed to steal back Kovalchuk and the extremely promising John Frostbeard for veteran Joel Ylonen – who the Bears would then also get back on the cheap when they realised the opportunity to strike in the weak North American Conference. That opportunity arose in part because of the Wranglers' flip-flopping between retool and contention, as well Vancouver and Toronto, the S67 Continental and Victory Cup winners respectively, losing several key pieces and declining in S68. The Bears comfortably won the conference with 91 points, a total which would have only seen them scrape 4th place in Europe.

Every dynasty needs a bit of luck to become one and winning a cup ahead of schedule usually helps – the Toronto threepeat did it, as did the Helsinki back-to-back champions who preceded it, and many of the teams from Davos' glory days. Although only one Bear (Acyd Burn) scored more than 72 points in S68, no one held the team back and they had a steady hand in Funk to guide them in net. With the added experience of Kovalchuk, Ylonen, and two-time cup winner Shawn Glade (acquired on the cheap from Davos who appeared to be in competition with Calgary for who could assist Seattle the most), there were no gaping holes in the squad and also lots of depth, as well as an easy path to the finals.

Disaster almost struck early on in the playoffs as a Toronto team of journeymen and inactives took 2 of the first 4 games of their first-round series. The Bears adapted and wouldn't lose another game all playoffs. And while no one stood out from the skaters – 10 players got between 10 and 18 points in the postseason – sophomore Funk turned up the style. He conceded only 2 goals on 84 shots in a comprehensive sweep of the Wranglers in the conference finals and then more than held his own against Matt Thompson and the Malmo Nighthawks, a fellow surprise package in the finals. With 10 wins in a row, Funk claimed his first Kanou Trophy and Seattle the first of many cups.

:sea: SEASON 69 – CONSOLIDATING POWER :sea:

Debate raged on in the league as to whether the Bears were the real deal or a one hit wonder, but after their playoff dominance in S68 no one doubted two things – Funk was here to stay and Seattle was at the very least in the cup contender conversation. In the off-season some fat was trimmed while the S67 core developed, Shawn Glade retired and Calgary provided the replacement yet again in veteran Leph Twinger. The real eye-catching acquisition was star forward Dan Wilinsky however, a forward in his prime and a mainstay in the Scott Boulet Trophy conversation for several seasons – a bit of stardust that wasn't there in the young and hungry team of S68.

The Bears still didn't quite catch fire in the regular season, finishing second in North America behind the offensive powerhouse in Vancouver. This time only Wilinsky exceeded the point-per-game mark, although scoring was rapidly going down in the league and Funk registered what would prove to be the best regular season of his career. The team's depth was also terrifying – Zoiderberg and LeGrande, the 7th forward and 5th defenceman on the depth chart, would walk into the top line of just about any rival in the league. Affordable rookie contracts and hyper-active young players had resulted in a team brimming with talent which could roll over opponents in a way that arguably still hasn't been recreated in the VHL.

Despite this, there was no 10-game winning streak in these playoffs. New York took Seattle to Game 7 which was won by a Wilinsky goal in overtime, while Vancouver and Riga each required 6 games to dispatch. The youth stepped up as Frostbeard led the team with 19 points, followed closely by Greene on 17, while Funk took some time to find his S68 form, ultimately putting together his weakest Kanou win with a .924 save percentage. He did deliver when it mattered though, stopping 94% of the shots fired at him by the high-flying Reign in the finals, considered by many to be the cup favourites, and outdueling Kallis Kriketers who up to then had put together one of the greatest goaltending seasons in living memory. After getting ahead in Game 5, the Bears ran out to a 4-0 lead by the end of the first period of Game 6 and hang on to a 4-3 win – the repeat was complete.

:sea: SEASON 71 – RETOOLING ON THE FLY :sea:

S70 was largely a forgettable season for the Bears, as the salary cap started to make an impact and GM Campbell had to part ways with some beloved veterans like Ylonen, Wilinsky, and Frostbeard. Although the S67 core was now firmly the stars of the team, things didn't quite click and Seattle only scraped into the playoffs by 1 point over New York. Vintage Funk came to play and upset the Wolves with a .939 save percentage in the first round but the magic wore off and the Wranglers ended the very impressive playoff run in the conference finals.

Fans were bracing themselves for more of the same as the cap crunch continued to hit – for the first time, two S67 draftees in Burn and Zoiderberg had to be sacrificed. The return was good as the Bears acquired the picks used to draft Odin Omdahl, Ola Vikingstad, and Randy Marsh among others, but it seemed like the team was a work in progress. Instead, they had rediscovered the successful old balance between young and old and had arguably their best regular season yet, finishing just 2 points off the Victory Cup winners in Vancouver. Stark led the league in points, Hogan in assists, while Greene made the All-VHL First Team now recognised as one of the premier centers in the league. Sensing an opportunity to strike, the Bears made a trade for veteran forward Aleksander Rodriguez on the cheap – the S71 version of Glade or Wilinsky.

The Rodriguez acquisition would prove inspired as he led the league with 10 playoff goals, his 18 points tied with Stark and Greene. The balanced line-up proved crucial against the young D.C. Dragons in round 1, rookie Vikingstad grabbing a late winner in a tight Game 7. Then Funk proved to be the scourge of Vancouver for a third straight season, saving his best for last as he conceded just 5 goals in 5 dominant games. Then came the defending champions from Moscow and another 5-game victory, again close but again comprehensive. Rodriguez fittingly was the first star in Game 5 while Vikingstad scored 2 goals including the cup winner – a testament to the wheeling and dealing of GM Campbell which in turn earned him his first top GM award of the dynasty.

:sea: SEASON 73 – THE LAST HURRAH :sea:

After S71 it was more about organic growth for the Bears as they looked to close out the era with a bang. Five members remained from the S67 core – Greene and Stark up front, Sundqvist and Hogan as a dominant defensive duo, and the evergreen Funk in goal. The retool bore fruits however, with forwards Uhtred and Vikingstad, defenceman Omdahl, and even rookie goalie Jordan Tonn being more than capable deputies for the fan favourites. As a result, the Bears dynasty delivered perhaps their best season of them all.

With 103 points tying Seattle for the league lead (winning the Victory Cup on goal difference), this was the first time the Bears were clear favourites at the end of the regular season, with Greene cracking 105 points and Hogan and Sundqvist putting up matching 93-point seasons for career years each. They again faced a tough fight from the Dragons, requiring a classic performance from Funk but still going to double overtime in Game 6, eventually won by the younger Aleelee Kiak assisted by rookie Timothy Brown.

Then came possibly the series which will be remembered most in this Bears run. The dominant sweeps in S68 and the annual humiliations of Vancouver set the scene, but from S70 onwards Seattle's rivalry with a rebuilt Calgary was a defining feature of the generation. The Wranglers made the finals in the Bears' place in S70 and S72 but came away with nothing, so were hoping to make it third time lucky first by knocking out their hated rivals. Calgary ran out to a 3-1 lead in the conference finals on the back of heroic goaltending by Jacques Lafontaine and two double OT victories. A lesser team would have accepted their fate but the Bears rallied, starting with a triple overtime winner by Randy Marsh as they faced elimination in Game 5. Kiak came up clutch again in Game 6 overtime before Sundqvist and Stark completed the comeback in a 5-3 win in Game 7, sending the Wranglers packing. Lafontaine (.949) and Funk (.943) put up a goaltending battle for the ages and the Bears added another feather in their cap – an iconic playoff series victory.

From then on, a fourth cup in six seasons seemed predestined. Seattle's last opponent was Helsinki, who showcased their attacking prowess by putting 5 and then an uncharacteristic 7 goals past Seattle in Games 1 and 3, chasing Funk in the latter, but once the Bears figured them out they won 3 games in a row to seal the cup in six. That would be the end of the dynasty as we knew it – Stark retiring, Greene and Funk moving on in the off-season, while Hogan and Sundqvist would retire at the end of S74. The playoff run is still ongoing, now up to eight consecutive seasons as of S75, and some of the younger cup winners remain with the Bears (Uhtred, Brown, Marsh, Omdahl, and Tonn), but the historic run of playoff success seems to be a closed chapter. What a chapter it was however.

Thank you for your generous donation and hope this meets your expectations @DoktorFunk and the rest of the S67 core - @Banackock @Rayzor_7 @TXC @Berocka @Acydburn  @HenrikZoiderberg @Smarch @Steve - and everyone else I mentioned who played a role in the cup wins - @ShawnGlade @DollarAndADream  @FrostBeard @Esso2264 @oilmandan @zepheter @Dil @leafsman @a_Ferk @MexicanCow123 @Grant

It's mental to see how good Seattle actually were and just how important drafting well is to the VHL. I always enjoy learning all about the history of VHL teams and the dynasties there have been. This piece was a good in depth dive in the dynasty and I was great to read through. Top job.

9/10

Such fond memories for us in Seattle, such nightmares for everyone else. No matter where you stand you can respect the outcomes, this is one of the best dynasties in league history. I'm very thankful I was a part of it and a key of it.

Review- Very nice deep dive into the team’s and process. It’s interesting to hear these things and overall thoughts of it. I like the in depth look and how nice and easy to read/ follow along even though I wasn’t here myself at the time 

9/10

Yeah but @Victorwho did end up winning in S70? 👀 

Real talk, great read. Super interesting to see how the S67 core came to be assembled. Hitting it huge in just one draft like that can set up your team for an absurdly long time, once you start flipping the vets for the future core. Retools are a lot easier when you hit gold with like 5 or 6 draft picks and can just shed contracts as needed for great value.

I've played for some great GMs, mainly just Beaviss and Bana my entire time on the site so I've always had a soft spot for Seattle and Vancouver, but man my funnest moments were when I played on these teams. Winning it all with Seattle in SG's last season is probably my favorite moment of all time in the VHL