New York Americans Press Conference Questions

STZ

:nya::nya: Press Conference Questions for NYA :nya::nya:

Week Ending Feb. 18th

It has been a long process for some on the New York roster. We have had our year of rebuild, growth, and learning. This is truly our first year where we believe we can make the Conference Finals and have a legitimate shot at going for a Championship. While frustrations have been felt, we have a strong group and an active locker room. We look ahead to the coming season to break out.

1. What is your favorite part of player for the New York Americans in one of the best VHL markets?

2. What has surprised you the most and least about your player since creating him?

3. We lost Hrdina, Fujimoto, McQuack, Smallwood, and Thrower all the retirement. This will lead to added ice-time and responsibility for everyone. Who's shoe's do you expect to fill next season, or do you see it that way at all?

4. Which city is the most fun to play in on the road?

5. What do you hope to accomplish next season? Do you have specific goals targeted, or just general success?

• Beketov pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

@STZ

1. With the loss of some key players, how does New York handle this season?

2. Do you think your rookie crop from season 57 will be able to handle the load?

3. Do you have any trades planned out for this season?

4. Will Bryce Zhields be an active VHL member?

5. Is having two players hard or is it manageable?

On 2018-02-12 at 10:05 PM, STZ said:

1. What is your favorite part of player for the New York Americans in one of the best VHL markets?

Just how close everything is. I can leave my apartment at 2 AM to grab milk if I need it. Don't ask what I'm doing at 2 AM to grab milk though because that's an athletes secret.

2. What has surprised you the most and least about your player since creating him?

That it isn't a build that works well with every other build and that the STHS is more random than ever now.

3. We lost Hrdina, Fujimoto, McQuack, Smallwood, and Thrower all the retirement. This will lead to added ice-time and responsibility for everyone. Who's shoe's do you expect to fill next season, or do you see it that way at all?

I just see it as the turning of the clock. It's about roles and you have to adjust to the role that you need to fill.

4. Which city is the most fun to play in on the road?

Probably Toronto. All the other cities are relatively dry and not really all that exciting.

5. What do you hope to accomplish next season? Do you have specific goals targeted, or just general success?

General success and the ability to possibly put some points up

NYA Questions WK of Mar 4

1. What is promising from

the early results and success of our season?

2. What scares you about this early success?

3. With this team heavily relying on DeGrath, what happens when he retires next season?

4. What is your favorite thing to do when away from the arena or practice facility?

5. The Americans have their 1st rounder in the upcoming draft which looks very promising - are there any standout prospects that have you interested?

6. If you could play any professional sport other than hockey, what would it be?

7. What are your thoughts on the NHL and one day playing there?

8. How have you found the new PT system with the ability to earn TPE in many different ways?

9. How do you feel about the new update scale?

10. Thoughts on the proposed career length extension?

For Arkander

On 2/25/2018 at 7:40 PM, Bring Back Player 2 (Tri) said:

@STZ

1. With the loss of some key players, how does New York handle this season?

2. Do you think your rookie crop from season 57 will be able to handle the load?

3. Do you have any trades planned out for this season?

4. Will Bryce Zhields be an active VHL member?

5. Is having two players hard or is it manageable?

1. I’ve learned that there are just something’s you can’t control as GM. FA signing, players walking, players retiring, the sim results, almost everything. All you can do is try and make your team fun and enjoyable - hopefully that boasts activity and league interest. From there you hope to get sim luck.. so far we’ve had simmluck after some big losses due to retirement.

2. Arkander, Jones, and Rayne are all locked up long term. To me that’s a great core of S57 players. Then you add in Komarov and McKnight and that’s a legitimate core. If we can extend Keller I think we can have something genuinely great here.

3. We will be active at the deadline to add a veteran presence. I have multiple options but I think it will depend on who is in and out of the playoff race.

4. Yep. Probably won’t be my best player, but why not take a chance in making a player I can grab with a late first?

5. I’d prefer to do one, two is a bit much with my schedule. But if I can land Zhields in NY, and have a controlled player on forward, it’s worth the extra work.

How do you feel about the new update scale?

6. It’s challenging, especially for two players. But luckily for goalies there are less meaningful attributes. It should make for more specialized players. Those big TPE earners with really stand out.

for Zhields

Edited by STZ

• 2 weeks later...

NYA Questions WK of Mar 11

1. What are your thoughts on the team's early success?

2. What are your thoughts on your player's play at the halfway point of the season?

3. What are your thoughts on the new portal?

4. Do you think there will be much action at Trade Deadline?

5. What do you think the Americans could add to improve their team?

6. Have you read the new VHL Magazine on the portal?

7. What is your favorite pre-game music?

8. What sport besides hockey do you like to watch?

9. How have you felt your development has been going this season?

10. Do you think you are on track for your end goal for your player?

For Zhields

Edited by STZ

9 minutes ago, STZ said:

NYA Questions WK of Mar 11

1. What are your thoughts on the team's early success?

2. What are your thoughts on your player's play at the halfway point of the season?

3. What are your thoughts on the new portal?

4. Do you think there will be much action at Trade Deadline?

5. What do you think the Americans could add to improve their team?

1. I'm very happy about it. It's a lot better than I had expected, I think we rank more towards the 3-4 spot in the league, but we are playing amazing. I think by playoff time we are only going to be stronger with all the TPE being added. It's a very promising start to what should be a few seasons of competing.

2. I actually can't believe how DeGrath is playing. I've never seen a goalie go through depreciation and then actually look better. Add on the update scale, and it's probably the most surprising turn in S59. The rescale helped considering I never miss a PT, but the sim is a bitch, and sometimes even if you have lots of TPE, you can struggle.

3. It's amazing. It's probably the best thing the VHL has added ever, and that's a pretty large accomplishment. I think the portal opens up the league to a lot of new options, and it is just great to see the Admins using every resource they can to get this portal up, running, and populated with a lot of information. Very excited to see what else is in store.

4. I actually don't. I think with league parity everyone feels like they have a shot this year. I've talked to teams who I thought would be sellers, and at this point I think everyone is just waiting. If there is bigger separation in the league by the time TD comes, then we could see deals, but if everyone can make playoffs and believe they can make a run, then I don't see much changing.

5. We could use another scoring forward. We have been a very defensive team, but we could use someone to help put pucks in the net.

for Arkander

Edited by STZ

1. How did the team end up with the name "Americans"? Was it in direct defiance of the EU teams, or was it to pay homage to the AHL's Rochester Americans?

2. New York is obviously having a great season. Are you the best team in the league? Or are the Legion and their goal-scoring prowess the clear no. 1?

3. New York has exactly zero point per game players. Is the play of Rhett Degrath just that impactful? Or do your players pride themselves on defense over offense?

4. Sergei Komarov is your team's points leader, but also the hit and penalty minute leader. Are you concerned about the potential for him to remove himself from a playoff game at a critical moment, given his predilections?

5. McKnight, Keller, and Zayn are tied for the team lead in game winning goals, with 4 apiece. Which one do you think will come up biggest in the clutch over the rest of the season?

On 11/03/2018 at 2:16 PM, MWHazard said:

1. How did the team end up with the name "Americans"? Was it in direct defiance of the EU teams, or was it to pay homage to the AHL's Rochester Americans?

2. New York is obviously having a great season. Are you the best team in the league? Or are the Legion and their goal-scoring prowess the clear no. 1?

3. New York has exactly zero point per game players. Is the play of Rhett Degrath just that impactful? Or do your players pride themselves on defense over offense?

4. Sergei Komarov is your team's points leader, but also the hit and penalty minute leader. Are you concerned about the potential for him to remove himself from a playoff game at a critical moment, given his predilections?

5. McKnight, Keller, and Zayn are tied for the team lead in game winning goals, with 4 apiece. Which one do you think will come up biggest in the clutch over the rest of the season?

1. I actually have no idea. The Americans have been around since S1 I believe so that's over 10 years real time. I didn't come into the league until S29. I would assume it was more towards the defiance if I had to choose between the two choices - however the Rochester team is pretty solid for jersey changes.

2. In all honesty, I put us at a 3-4 in the league around Seattle. I think we have a goalie who benefitted largely due to the rescale compensation as I never missed a PT with DeGrath. Toronto was the clear-cut favorite after the off-season trades, and Helsinki is has higher starpower. DeGrath gained a lot from rescale, but so did Cornerstone, who is putting up ridiculous numbers right now. I'd say we are even with SEA as 3-4, but where we have the edge in defense and goalie, they do in scoring.

3. Our strats are set for pure offense, and DeGrath is just keeping us in games. We have a lot of defensive minded players, but it's not because they added a lot to "defense". That's not a direct correlation in the sim. I think the way the team is built and the fact that we have 3 strong defenders, is the reason we are in a good spot in the standings despite the low goal total.

4. Yeah that's a possibility. He's always been known for his 2-way play, but he does take penalties. I think we have a strong PK though, and in the end that aggressive play is helpful overall for the team.

5. We need Keller to be our guy. He's currently on every single line and he has the TPE to put up large numbers. We added Savard to take a bit of the load off, but we need Keller to be clutch in playoffs!

Thanks @MWHazard

For Arkander

1. Are you happy Shanks will finish career where it started?

2. Weren't the trade talks too long?

3. Is it your first three-way trade?

4. Which the most dangerous team for NY right now?

5. Can Riga and New York make another blockbuster type trade in future?

On 19/03/2018 at 7:12 PM, hedgehog337 said:

1. Are you happy Shanks will finish career where it started?

2. Weren't the trade talks too long?

3. Is it your first three-way trade?

4. Which the most dangerous team for NY right now?

5. Can Riga and New York make another blockbuster type trade in future?

1. Yes. I guess it would be meaningful if Phil was still active, but it's still great to see him back. As you know I've been trying to reacquire him for a while, it's nice to get a deal done that made sense both ways.

2. There's a reason I start making contact with every GM early and often. Trade talks need to go as long as they need so both sides feels good about the trade. I like to be thorough, and I think we explored EVERY option lol, even the craziest options.

3. Yes. I think I've been a part of a few back-to-back trades where it's a flip of assets, which is essentially a 3-way, but this was the first official one!

4. I still think Toronto is the team to beat. They have a really deep roster and are strong at every position. Seattle and Calgary have also had our number this season. Very open field, I think we could see a surprise Cup Finals and winner this year.

5. I'm always open to trades. I think my cap window is closing for a blockbuster, but you never know. I could definitely see myself working with you again, I did enjoy the process!

For Arkander

• 4 weeks later...

Week of April 22nd

1. How was your time during the offseason?

2. What was your main focus of improvement during the off-season?

3. What did you learn from our semi-final exit from the VHL Playoffs last year?

4. What will be the biggest change your player will need to do to be successful this year?

5. What are your thoughts on the addition of superstar Bo Boeser to the team?

6. What are your thoughts on the loss of VHL Goalie of the Year, Rhett DeGrath?

7. Which matchup do you have marked on the schedule?

8. Which team do you think will improve the most in S60?

9. Which team do you think will drop off the most in S60?

10. What are your thoughts on the influx of new members in the VHL?

1. Pretty great start to Season 60 for you guys. Are you the favorites? Helsinki also started 4-0.

2. I was somebody who thought DeGrath would carry you to a title. Was it surprising to miss out on the finals, or were you thinking that it was up for grabs once you got to the semis?

3. If you could move one team, who would you move, where, and why?

4. How much longer will New York be a top team?

5. Do you think the VHL has parity?

2 hours ago, MWHazard said:

1. Pretty great start to Season 60 for you guys. Are you the favorites? Helsinki also started 4-0.

2. I was somebody who thought DeGrath would carry you to a title. Was it surprising to miss out on the finals, or were you thinking that it was up for grabs once you got to the semis?

3. If you could move one team, who would you move, where, and why?

4. How much longer will New York be a top team?

5. Do you think the VHL has parity?

1. We have had a great start - realistically we haven't played any of the competing teams yet. It doesn't discount our start, but I don't think a 4-0 start makes us the favorites when we have wins over teams who are not looking to win a cup this season.

2. Here's the thing about the sim, and more specfically the VHL; depth doesn't really matter THAT much. Helsinki has the best player in the league in Franchise Cornerstone. In history's past that has proven to be all you need to win. DeGrath was the best goalies based on attributes which is why I brought him in (for a 2nd lol) but I knew it was a toss up between other teams with high TPE players. I thought we could knock off Helsinki, but I don't think it's surprising that the highest TPE player in the sim beat us. It was GG's tbh, not sarcastically. This is also the same reason I targetted Bo Boeser for this season.

3. I would move any of the European teams to any North American city.. It would never happen because of VHL History, but yeah, I think it would be easier to imagine a 8 team league not spread out as geographically as it currently is.

4. 4-5 seasons. We are just leaving our rebuild now. Last season we overachieved, but all of our core are just entering their prime this season. 

5. Yes. It has been a lot less predictable than ever before. I'm surprised that Toronto rebuilt before Riga. It's a sign that it is SO close that teams are reading the league differently than others.

• 6 months later...

IS IT OK IF WE STEAL THESE??

**All <NYA> members and others if you choose, if you need questions for Press Conferences for more TPE, then you can answer the ones I post in here.**

• Does <Scott Shawinganens> dominance in the C position surprise you, considering he <IS> a <ROOKIE>?
  • Do you believe that Gabriel McAllister will sustain this point production?
  • Do you fully expect Mats Johnsson to hold off the rest of the defensemen by the end of the season?
  • Look at that crop of VHL rookies and their production so far! Who you do expect to hold down #1 by year's end, seeing what it looks like now?
  • Which rookie has been the most important to their VHL team so far?
  • Which current VHLM goaltender do you think will have the biggest VHL career in the future?

Does <Scott Shawinganens> dominance in the C position surprise you, considering he <IS> a <ROOKIE>?

Scott is a beast, he puts out 100% on the ice. Sometimes he just leaves the rink and goes home to canada, but he drives back and is here for the games and does what he can, so yeah, i'd like to see some more production out of him, but he's leading the league in something or other, most likely.

• Do you believe that Gabriel McAllister will sustain this point production?

Who is that?

• Do you fully expect Mats Johnsson to hold off the rest of the defensemen by the end of the season?

Yeah, with a name like that, the kids a beast, he's on a great fkin team too.

• Look at that crop of VHL rookies and their production so far! Who you do expect to hold down #1 by year's end, seeing what it looks like now?

Best VHL rookie so far, I'm gonna have to say Julian Borwinn.

Defenders are a dime a dozen. And it doesn't take much to build someone who can be a brute. But the finess of a forward, and doing what he's doing with point production. He's a big contributing factor to the Titans.

• Which rookie has been the most important to their VHL team so far?

Most important to their team, well, I'd like to think Scott Shawinganen. He's one of the only real Cs on the team. And is a mentor of sorts for the younger folk. Without his presence in the faceoff dot, where would the team be?

• Which current VHLM goaltender do you think will have the biggest VHL career in the future?

I don't watch the VHLM.

• 2 months later...

1. We're over half way into the season now.  How do you feel you've developed so far as a player this season?  What are some areas your player has improved? What would you like to work on a little more?

2. What are some things you like about the VHL?  What are some things you dislike? 

3. If you were in charge of the league for the day, what 1 thing would you change?

4. What is your favorite VHLM team and why?

5. The VHL has seen a recent influx of minor tournaments with the world juniors and Brand teams.  If  you could implement a Minor Tournament, what would you base the teams on?

@oilmandan

@Esso2264

@Romaris

@Cornflakers

@McWolf

@Advantage

@caltroit_red_flames

@Eparker24

@Matt_O

@RyanZabby

@JayF

On 1/24/2019 at 1:12 PM, Spade18 said:

1. We're over half way into the season now.  How do you feel you've developed so far as a player this season?  What are some areas your player has improved? What would you like to work on a little more?

2. What are some things you like about the VHL?  What are some things you dislike? 

3. If you were in charge of the league for the day, what 1 thing would you change?

5. The VHL has seen a recent influx of minor tournaments with the world juniors and Brand teams.  If  you could implement a Minor Tournament, what would you base the teams on?

@oilmandan

@Esso2264

@Romaris

@Cornflakers

@McWolf

@Advantage

@caltroit_red_flames

@Eparker24

@Matt_O

@RyanZabby

@JayF

1. So far this season my guy has been exceeding my own expectations, and my player has been hot recently. I'll probably hit 200 TPE some time  next week, and I'm trying to work on scoring and puck handling to 80

2. The way the VHL forum and other stat pages are very easy to navigate and use, the only thing I dislike is that your player doesn't have a game log so you can't see how your player has been performing recently and through the season. A little nitpicky but whatever.

3. Add the game log idea I just had and I would also probably do some more aggressive recruiting.

4. I'm on Las Vegas and we are killing it right now, so they are my favorite team.

5. After every season do a fantasy draft of four teams where the best of the best play during the offseason with 8 game season and the two top teams play for the "championship" Kind of like an advanced all star game, but more guys would get in and it would be an all star draft

Edited by Matt_O

I've Been slacking more than I wanted too this season but my player has still grown well and has been performing better than I expected. Id like to improve my point totals and faceoffs.

I like that it feels more important than the VHLM did, however the amount of TPE needed to level things up at this point and the decreasing amounts you get once you go into the VHL makes it pretty hard to feel like you're progressing IMO.

I think i would make practice always 2 TPE even for VHLERS

.... lol

Assign a VHLM team to a VHL team and have a U24 tourney or something idk.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to answer this  for the full season.  I am very happy with my player's development throughout the season.  He was incredibly strong defensively and finished as easily the only plus player on the team.  His offensive game grew as the season went on and I was very pleased to see his all-around game improve and hopefully that means a Stolzy for Sullivan Jr. (just like his dad).

I like most of what's in the VHL now.  I enjoy having a player on the highest stage and admittedly I'm still not crazy about the VHLM although it has certainly drastically improved.

Probably get rid of backup rule as a whole.  I'd rather just see starters play 72.  Nothing to do with recent issues but always been an opinion of mine.

Kolari Sex Panthers by Odion @Jericho

5. The VHL has seen a recent influx of minor tournaments with the world juniors and Brand teams.  If you could implement a Minor Tournament, what would you base the teams on?

Honestly, this may be a cop-out but I hate any tournament that isn't international based (WJC and WC).  Everything else is hot garbage imo so im gonna say I wouldnt.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this didn't age well. Fuck last season, it's all about S65 here in New York. I had a pretty garbage season, only one year removed from ROY runner -up. I think I became a more well rounded player but due to the depth of talent in Helsinki, I wasn't in the best situation to capitalize. I'm going to work on my Defense and puck handling to begin with, but we all know it's about leadership.

I like the member base here in the VHL and generally good relationships we have. I know it was needed due to TPE growth, but I wish my player had missed out on the new update scale. I liked it when it was easy to be talented!

I would restore my role as Red Team moderator. It was just a role I enjoyed having.

I am now a fan of the Reapers, although I have a soft spot for a couple of others that I've had VHLM success with in the past. But as the AGM of Philadelphia, it would be remiss of me not to name them as my outright favorite.

That's a good question. I don't know. There must be some interesting concepts, but as I sit here typing this, none are springing to mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Place an expansion team in Edmonton 

4. What is your favorite VHLM team and why?

Tough to say. I won a Founders Cup with Ottawa as a player, and with Las Vegas as an executive. 

5. The VHL has seen a recent influx of minor tournaments with the world juniors and Brand teams.  If  you could implement a Minor Tournament, what would you base the teams on?

I'd like to see a tournament of draft class vs draft class when they hit the VHL. S63 taking that all day

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Everyone! It is WJC week so as Co-Commissioner i decided to give everyone some themed questions to answer.  WJC Questions...

1. Are you excited for the WJC?
  2. Who are you rooting for and why?
  3. Who do you think will win?
  4. Who do you think Claims MVP?
  5. Who Makes the All-star team?
  6. Do you sing your country's national anthem or just mouth the words?
  7. What team would you like to GM in the WJC?
  8. one player to snag from another team to add to your current team who is of the same nationality!
  9. Would you ever burn a flag if you knew you wouldn't get caught?
  10. You just got a penalty for unsportman like conduct, what did you do?
  11. Jersey colour swap for WJC special jerseys, what colours would you give each team?
  12. What is your fav task to gain tpe and why?

-Blade