Spinning the Wheel, Turning the Page

Gustav

Hello, VHL...

With the conclusion of the regular season upon us, I think now is the right time to talk about the conclusion of something different. That being...

...that this will be my last season as Davos' GM.

I was (controversially) originally brought on in January of 2020, meaning that at the end of the playoffs, I will have served the league (somewhat) faithfully for just about exactly 2 years. This will also be my first time not being a GM of some sort since April of 2019, when I became the first GM of the Mississauga Hounds. I know that this will come as a surprise to some of you, but I have given this a great deal of thought on my own time and think it's the best decision to make for myself and for the league. Bear with me, because I'm going to try to address whatever I can about it in this post.

FAQ:

Why?

This is an interesting question, and it has a few answers.

• Davos will be hit hard with retirement, and I don't have the heart to deal with it. We've had some not-fun times with me here, including S70-71 when we set the record for most consecutive seasons in last place (which wasn't really my fault) and S74-79 (I think?) when we underperformed and rebuilt (which kinda was my fault). While we're a playoff team now, I don't have the same enthusiasm for turning things around that I did then. It might be possible to make it work, but I've asked myself whether I see myself working to do that and I really don't. Hopefully we get someone who will!
  • I haven't lived up to the hype. This by itself isn't a reason to step down--the reason is mostly represented in the first point--but I was meant to be the savior of the franchise and things didn't work out that way. I will always think it's more important that everyone had fun, but with one failed attempt to compete gone and another probably gone unless some playoff magic comes out of nowhere, I also think it's unfair to the league that a consistently underperforming team has the same GM for eternity.
  • The league and I are moving in different philosophical directions. This actually isn't about the VHLE. Everyone's also aware of the whole meta thing, and it's more about that. I'm not here to criticize anyone for going along with it, but it's another "do I see myself doing this" situation where the answer is no. I am NOT saying that I want any replacement to try to make Davos a meta team--in fact, I very much do not want that--but I find the idea of running a team less fun when "this is what I want to do" is very different from "this is what I should be doing if I want to win a championship". Like the second point, this is a very minor issue for me in relation to the first, so please don't make me "that guy who left over the meta" or anything. Just something I find worth mentioning.

I don't like that I'm saying any of the above, but I've had this on my mind for weeks and I think it's the most fair explanation of my thoughts.

Are you going inactive?

No. In fact, I hope I stay as active as always in the future.

Do you want to GM again?

I hope I do at some point, and at that point I hope I'm hired! Right now, I just need a break.

Are you leaving the BoG?

No, you can't get rid of me that easily. I like arguing too much.

A few (alright, quite a few) shoutouts to people who have made my time as GM fun:

@Berocka: I cannot possibly make a list without putting you on top. I don't like to speak in absolutes, but you are my best friend in this league. Thank you for putting up with all of my bullshit, and thank you for always being there to talk. It's been great working with you almost from Day 1 and I hope we'll do some other cool stuff in the future.

@Ahma: It's no secret that you LOVE Davos, and I'm amazed by your ability to stand by this team through thick and thin. Thank you for your loyalty, and also for reminding me to care when I start to lose it.

@WranglersSuck, @Banackock, @Darth Kaprizov, @Tyler, @KC15, and @JardyB10: to the rest of the active members of the current roster, hi! I know this comes on short notice, but thank you so much for getting Davos where it is today and making it a wonderful place to be. Best of luck!

@Brrbisbrr, @McWolf , @Laine, @FrostBeard, @Grape, @Snussu, @samx, and probably a whole lot of others I'm missing: you were the people who made the past 12 (yes, 12!) seasons fun as players. I hope you're doing well, whatever you're up to.

@Doomsday, @Renomitsu, @Esso2264 , @DoktorFunk, @diamond_ace , and especially @GlowyGoat (if you ever see this): you never played for me, but you still showed up to our server because you wanted to. I appreciate this endlessly and consider you my friends.

To the @VHL GM crew: some of you have given me advice, some of you have given me some respectful negotiations, some of you I've never really interacted with on a GM level. But none of you have ever made me feel unwelcome, even when I wasn't making the smartest moves, and I think that's great.

@Commissioner: I haven't talked to you about this, so I'd like to apologize again for the zero-notice thing. But here's the announcement. Thanks for keeping things running for all of us! If you'd like to talk to me about the next GM, feel free to do so; if you'd rather make the decision on your own, I respect that as well.

To anyone else I missed, and to many others I'd like to tag here but won't because the reasons don't really connect to my time as a GM: thank you for being you.

This isn't an easy post to make, but I've been hesitating to make it for a while now and it's time to push the button.

But before I do...

DAVID

I was mentioned when I didn't even play a game for Davos!!! I take that as a win xD. Congrats on a wonderful gm career. I hope to see you back one day. Enjoy the break you deserve it. please tell the next gm to not take my Sam role. I'd be so disappointed. It's going to be really odd not seeing you as gm in davos since you have been it since I've joined the league.  Thanks for drafting my player and trading them.. considering I went IA a season later you look so smart!! But seriously great job.

Just now, McWolf said:

We have a spot in the VHLM for you!

I'm sure you guys would love to have VHLM Gustav back! I'm not (currently) feeling much like VHLM Gustav, otherwise I'd never make this post...

...but if I ever want a job, I'll let you know 👁️

2 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

I'm sure you guys would love to have VHLM Gustav back! I'm not (currently) feeling much like VHLM Gustav, otherwise I'd never make this post...

...but if I ever want a job, I'll let you know 👁️

We'll open the Mississauga spot when you're ready. It'll be like you never left

Very sad to see you go. You are one of the few people that have really made this whole thing fun for me, and if it wasn't you at the helm of Davos, I probably would've had my last player bounce around the league instead of stick with the team for their whole career. I do apologize for the early retirement, although it probably didn't hurt the team too badly. May it be between players, GMs, or whatever, I hope we come together soon. Be good to yourself big man.

1 minute ago, McWolf said:

the YEETING tradition ging full circle.

cc: @GustavMattias

Being the recipient of a Gustav YEET  will soon become an urban legend.

"I was yeeted by Gustav."

"You liar."

"Yeah, the team kinda sucked and he wanted some picks."

At least now I know how it feels to be yeeted. 

oh my god wow GIF by Schitt's Creek

I 100 percent respect the way you’re stepping down. You were my first GM in this league and a lot of the way I interact in my LR stems from what I learned when I first joined Mississauga. Thank you for being my GM with both of my players and if you ever dare quit running Town of Salem then we will throw hands.

PS. I am thrilled you will be remaining a part of this league.

Just now, WranglersSuck said:

oh my god wow GIF by Schitt's Creek

I 100 percent respect the way you’re stepping down. You were my first GM in this league and a lot of the way I interact in my LR stems from what I learned when I first joined Mississauga. Thank you for being my GM with both of my players and if you ever dare quit running Town of Salem then we will throw hands.

PS. I am thrilled you will be remaining a part of this league.

I'll never forget you within your first week or so joining our server and saying something like "hey what's up, I'm mostly just a lurker, don't mind me".

How the turn tables

6 minutes ago, Grape said:

Very sad to see you go. You are one of the few people that have really made this whole thing fun for me, and if it wasn't you at the helm of Davos, I probably would've had my last player bounce around the league instead of stick with the team for their whole career. I do apologize for the early retirement, although it probably didn't hurt the team too badly. May it be between players, GMs, or whatever, I hope we come together soon. Be good to yourself big man.

You're (I believe) the only person left active who was on that first Houston team, so fun fact that I'm just now realizing myself: I guess I've known you longer than anyone else here! I loved having you on Davos, and likewise I hope we end up in the same place at the same time somewhere.

DAVID :hcd:

STHS didn't show the results, but to me, you did the job the way it should be done. Thank you for all you've done for Davos, and go out on top by crushing the meta!!

DAVID

Was looking for a good gif but tenor’s “hockey simulation league GM resignation announcement” section is really lacking. For now, just imagine this post was a perfectly selected gif.

Edited by Squidward0
punctuation

Gus, I remember when I first got hired on for Halifax and Vancouver. Both times you reached out to me just to offer a hand. I mean, in the world of GMing in the VHL, that never happened. Really shows what kind of special person you are as a whole.

I know GMing is a success-driven business but just looking at the image of Davos before you joined and now is a world of a difference and IMO that was a success on its own.

I’m mostly saying all this because I genuinely believe that you did accomplish something. It may not be physical or tangible but I think you shaped GM culture, role and attitude. Your Hounds LR was a work of art.

Thanks for everything and hope you can enjoy being a normie now! Also, am I allowed to toss you in the fountain now?

Edited by Squidward2
Dil has poor punctuation.

Sad to see you leave the role. You were a great GM, despite what anyone says. You made Davos a superb place for everyone. 

I still remember when you first took over and my first message to you lol

Davos will keep going strong :dav: