41   C - Scead Simmons 42   SWE Scead Simmons
42   LW - Kaz Uzu 36   CAN Kazuzu
43   G - Evgeny Rapinsky 36   RUS Bonaventure
44   C - Stray 34 YUK CAN Stray Games
45   LW - Billy Kimber 34 HFX CAN Dingle
46   D - Brett Ewing 32 SSK GER kegoo11
47   RW - Callum MacElroy 32   UK GlowyGoat
48   LW - Colum ODowd 32   IRE sour_chin_music

Hello fellow VHLers and VHLMers. Today was a fun day. We got some big news from the BoG regarding expansions, relocations, new GMs and a lot of stuff in both leagues. I'll try to keep it up with these rankings that no one asked for. Last week, I presented team needs. This week, I'll talk about archetypes or player roles and how top draftees are building up right now. It'll be hard to really place player into archetypes, as no one is following the exact same model, but I'll try my best to do it. Mainly, I'll be looking at the couple of attributes that members invested in the most to do it. Some players could very well fit in more than one category, or even in none of them, so I just tried to be fair with everyone and put them in the one that fits the most.

• Two-way forwards (F)

Two-way forwards are fun players. I think it's one of the least hidden secret in the VHL that Defense is one of the best attribute to invest in for everyone. It might seem dumb for offensive forwards to heavily invest in Defense, but it's actually the attribute that determines who's most likely to take control of loose pucks. That means more breakaways, and more easy empty-net goals after long rebounds. This makes two-way forwards deadly players. I literally almost called this archetypes something more offensive but, in the end, Defense also helps in the defensive zone, logically. This means these guys can really do it all. They're the stars of tomorrow.

Best two-way forwards

Roll Fizzlebeef (70 DF, 66 SC, 64 FO)

Matteo (60 SK, 52 SC, 50 DF)

• Danglers (F)

@eaglesfan036's new secret archetype? I don't think anyone doubted the fact that Puck Handling was an important attribute. But I don't think anyone thought it would be the attribute to have the biggest correlation with the amount of goals scored, as evidenced by the man's recent articles. The danglers might be the prime archetype in the future of the VHL if he's right, and his very own player will be the best candidate to show the true potential of a build based on very high Puck Handling. I'm legit excited to see how Gritty turns out and I'll admit that I myself diverged from my planned build and already cranked more points in Puck Handling than I was supposed to already.

Best danglers

Gritty (79 PH, 70 SC, 70 DF)

Willy Memelander (60 PH, 58 SC, 56 SK)

• Snipers (F)

After the now classic two-way forward and the still-untested dangler, the sniper is another classy role whose main goal is to put the puck in the net. Sniper is the build that, when you first start in the VHL, sounds like it should be the best archetype. High Scoring, high Skating. You take the puck, fly through defenses with it and rip it past the goaltender. In practice, they're often overshadowed by two-way forwards and might need to get on the dangler hype train, spending a few TPE in Puck Handling, to keep up with the wave. They can still become solid goalscorers, though.

Best snipers

Matthew Kai (74 SC, 70 SK, 50 PA, 50 PH, 50 ST)

Don Draper (63 SC, 56 SK, 53 PH)

Teegan Glover (62 SC, 58 SK, 55 PH)

• Playmakers (F)

Every line needs one. Yet, there's a complete lack of them in this draftclass. Scoring is a big part of the game, for sure, but you need to have a playmaker with your goalscorers to make them even more efficient. Playmakers are the guys that look the snipers way when searching for a pass in the offensive zone, they're the main reasons the 3 archetypes above can score in the first place. Their builds can vary a lot, as long as Passing is their best attribute, the rest of the points could be allocated in Skating, Puck Handling, Defense, even Scoring. 

Best playmakers

Jack Lynch (73 PA, 70 SC, 70 SK)

Anthony Matthews (70 PA, 70 PH, 70 FO)

Dorian Mason (75 PA, 60 SK, 60 PH)

• Offensive forwards (F)

I had a hard time placing a bunch of players in the categories above so I'm just going to make this new archetype and call it something vague. Offensive forwards are players on the line, when it comes to determining if they're pass-first or shoot-first. They're adept of both and that makes them threats in every way imaginable. These players with high Passing and also high Scoring can setup teammates and be the ones to gather apples on snipers goals if teams lack pass-only players, and they can score goals themselves as well. They can be fairly dangerous.

Best offensive forwards

Carles Puigdemont (80 PA, 80 SC, 75 SK)

Orion Slade (70 PA, 70 SC, 70 SK, 70 PH)

Dick Rash (55 SK, 53 PA, 52 SC)

• Enforcers (F/D)

Well, that's an unexpected one. Komarov was drafted last season, so I didn't expect anyone to be fit this category of players this season, but actually got one. While 95% of the league have a common goal in mind when they're on the ice, that is score goals and don't let the other team score goals, enforcers kind of play their own game. Secondary attributes can make them into interesting team players but, mainly, enforcers tend to have very high Checking, very low Discipline, so they can rack as many hits and penalty minutes as possible. I don't know how STHS works, I don't know players get motivated when their teammates lay big hits or defend the team stars in fights but, if they do, enforcers could be important.

Best enforcers

Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen (75 CK, 75 SK, 75 PA, 70 DF)

Viktor Kozlov (75 CK, 70 ST, 70 SK)

• Two-way defensemen (D)

Like with forwards, the best way to go with defensemen is probably to be a complete, two-way player. Doing that is going to require a whole lot more of TPE down the line though, so it's not a role that should be advised for anyone. Defensemen will benefit from having a high Defense both in the offensive and defensive zones. Add to that some points in either Scoring or Passing and you get the recipe for a solid team player for the future.

Best two-way defensemen

Dallas Jones (75 DF, 70 PA, 70 SK)

Bald Guy (70 DF, 70 PH, 67 SC)

Denver Wolfe (60 in everything)

• Defensive defensemen (D)

One of the rare archetype, but one of my favourites. I actually started Joseph McWolf as a defensive defenseman, before moving into the two-way realm when I reached 95 DF. These guys won't put a ton of points on the scoring sheet, but they're great team players and complement stars really well. Good earners that start as defensive players tend to become more two-way quickly, as their build is pretty much limited, but they're fun while they last.

Best defensive defensemen

Elasmobranch Fish (76 DF, 70 SK, 60 CK)

Mitch Matthews (73 DF, 57 SK, 55 CK)

Benson Van Roosen (70 DF, 70 SK, 46 SC)

• Blueline snipers (D)

This archetype is exactly what it sounds like; snipers that are actually playing defense. They get around the opposition with high Skating and then try to blast shot past the goalie with high Scoring. This high Scoring also comes useful from the blueline in powerplay situations. The only thing that separates them from shoot-first two-way defensemen is that they have a bit less points invested in Defense and maybe a bit more in other attributes.

Best blueline snipers
Brady Stropko Jr. (80 SK, 80 SC, 70 DF)

• Goalies (G)

I'm very sorry, I don't know a thing about goaltender builds so I can't speak about them. There are not too many goaltenders in the draft anyway, so I'll just group them together here and show their best attributes. Sorry I don't have anything nice to say about you, guys.

Best goalies

Joe Nixon (70 HS, 70 RT, 66 RB, 66 SC)

Chase (51 AG, 50 SK, 50 SZ)

Justin Cole (60 RT, 57 HS, 56 SC)

Spoiler

@Fire Hakstol @Tim @TacticalHammer @Eudaldkp @eaglesfan036 @Arch Stanton @Jad @jastep @Canadian_allstar @Viperxhawks19 @dgibs @Trifecta @speck1447 @Ryan Faid @Universe @Heckefar @nathan855mckay @Blades500 @Nizzx @lepavaa @Troix @Vijay Patel @Dallaszeek @Canucks23 @tjmckenna22 @Ckbruinfan @FBR @sboopy @Hawzy @Bated @Chesterfield @Skull @Maladus42 @Ninenine222 @Paul Wilkinson @kegoo11 @Chuck @Fevan @huntax0 @Gimmix @Gablae @Bonzaijoe @IgorPetrovic @murdockdm @Palmtoptiger @Foyboydahgoat @Brolaski @Halfchubfightclub @Harold McTaggart @Everlast73 @Bucky___lastard @btrav @Felixf21 @Jimmy October @Thomas Wilson @Gabella19 @MaceDouglas @mattymoo271 @Abdul Razzaq @Slappy1039 @SkeddaniusJunior @xsjack @Kuch9 @largenarbo @Szimanski @jrdwdmn @nawkturnal @Luke Allman @Erebrew @Chase Klein @NIKEJWN @Antone10 @Infernal @Dvich86 @HasekFan94 @oldmanfreeman @Sidhu @Prabh Ria @Jeffrey Wickersty @Bear @handfullofbubba @Snussu @Anthony Matthews @Consider_Me_OP @Hippie28 @BluObieZ @WhiteMocha @Bully22 @luke5299 @Woodsworth @smammy2ck @Kazuzu @Tak @Chicken Little @Scrogs @Dominic Brassard @OneBuffalo1230 @bucktown @hum0r_ha @nick_716 @tunedtorock @THS @Bushito @Sharkstrong @Gared123456 @jDubzzz @starboi @mu19mc2 @Sixersfan549 @Stray Games @rskinner2228 @Galdoblame @lfdorais @Sogarn @Goonie @Pekka Rinne @Jakob Kelob @Papa Bless' Memes @kotkaniemiisbae @Bagels @Mise @Penner9415 @DrunnkPANDAA @Mat Reimer @ziggyziobob @jacobaa19 @Dingle @sean @Marcel @MrCringleberries @Benson @Lightningyamasha @Panther10 @Pipe663 @cynftwproductions @The-OG-Of-Rivia @Peacock @ManualSamual @Cmk_ @Bandit @Scead Simmons @Kyler Kuzar @wuma @SpartanGibbles @Snowflyer @GlowyGoat @Mrhockey26 @Connor mcdavid @Mirgri @Bonaventure @Gav56789 @tyler brown @Wheaties

Edited by McWolf

Nice article, cool to see players divided up this way. Glad to see you are a fellow puck-handling supporter 

Also, increasing puck handling increases overall points in general, so goals and assists, not just goals

PS I'm at 174 tpe

Edited by eaglesfan036