DC Dragons Press Conference

Enorama

D.C Dragons Press Conference

1. D.C. Dragons this year drafted 1 player in 4 rounds. What do you prefer, building a team by draft picks or signing players, that have proved themselves in the league?
  2. Which drafted player this year has got the biggest chance to become a Hall of Famer? (https://vhlportal.com/teams/drafts/50)
  3. How would you describe yourself if you had to use a quote from a movie?
  4. What team are you looking forward to winning against the most?
  5. What is your favorite board game to play with your family and friends?
  6. What is the most important trait for the captain of the team?

7 minutes ago, osens said:

1. D.C. Dragons this year drafted 1 player in 4 rounds. What do you prefer, building a team by draft picks or signing players, that have proved themselves in the league?
  2. Which drafted player this year has got the biggest chance to become a Hall of Famer? (https://vhlportal.com/teams/drafts/50)

1. I think a draft and develop approach is what I would take. I think as a GM, it's more fulfilling to win a cup with a team you've built from the ground up rather than forming a team through signing and trading.

2. I personally think Papa Emiritus might be a potential HoF player. He wasn't drafted 1st overall for nothing.

3. "I live my life a quarter mile at a time" - The Fast and the Furious

4. LA. They have Spartan now.

5. Uno. It's fun ruining your relationships with a +4.

6. I think it's consistent activity, and a willingness to contribute to the team in any way possible. That's what a captain should be.

14 hours ago, osens said:

1. Hmm, to be honest from my standpoint I think the satisfaction of drafting a player and seeming them succeed is better than just hopefully grabbing someone good from free agency or in a trade, but overall I think to get good you need to make the risk, so acquiring players outside of the draft is sometimes necessary.

2. Zetterberg's new player Tyler Reinhart was dominant for Yukon, so I'd have to go with him or one of the other Yukon fellas in the draft like the other Reinhart, Papa, or Jokinen 👀

3. Fart! Poop! Doody! - The Boss Baby. The movie of a generation.
4. ...Toronto 👀
5. I'm a sucker for card games, so probably President because I can play that for hours and it's a great drinking game.
6. To be groovy @bigAL;)

16 hours ago, osens said:

Hide contents

1) Any team that has osens on it is a well built team

2) Gonna go with the easy pick - Beketov is #1 overall for a reason, plus he is the simmer ;)

3) "FREEEEEEEDOM!" - Braveheart

4) Davos so I can make fun of @Ahma

5) Dutch Blitz and jackbox party pack

6) Be Osens

On 7/21/2021 at 3:13 AM, osens said:

1. I (selfishly) like Eno's philosophy of high risk/ high reward bets on first gens through the draft. I should not have gone first overall in my draft haha it hasn't always panned out in recent seasons but the feeling of succeeding with new people who haven't before is huge.

2. Bill Nye for the HoF (34th, to Davos). Dude has science on his side.

4. We've got a pretty great (one-sided) rivalry with LA, and having Jiggs on our side now will make those victories over Jeffy Pines even sweeter.

5. Dutch Blitz is a great one, my family loves Sequence too

6. Be the AGM

D.C DRAGONS PRESS CONFERENCE

For week ending August 1st!

1. The season is underway, we are in 2nd place in the tight North American conference. What do you think about the season's start?

2. 6 of our 7 losses have been in overtime and shootouts. What are we lacking, that we can't finish those close games?

3. Kristof Welch in his first season with Dragons has 17 points and he is ranking in 2nd place for most points as a defenseman. How important it is for our team to have good offensive defensemen?

4. The Olympics are going strong right now! Are you watching it and which nation are you cheering for?

5. Last song that was stuck in your head for far too long?

6. What do you like more - summer or winter?

1 hour ago, osens said:

1. The season is underway, we are in 2nd place in the tight North American conference. What do you think about the season's start?

2. 6 of our 7 losses have been in overtime and shootouts. What are we lacking, that we can't finish those close games?

3. Kristof Welch in his first season with Dragons has 17 points and he is ranking in 2nd place for most points as a defenseman. How important it is for our team to have good offensive defensemen?

4. The Olympics are going strong right now! Are you watching it and which nation are you cheering for?

1. Hot starts are hot! Every game counts, and it's important to bank points early in the season.

2. OT sucks, everyone's tired and doesn't want to be there anymore. Give us the tie and let us go home and rest our legs.

3. Solid D is the trademark of :dcd: and has been for some time. A good defender keeps the puck out of our end, but also gives that all-important first pass to start the rush. Clearly, Welch has that puck control ability that's allowing our forwards time and space to score.

4. Rugby 7s was today and yesterday and that's such a fun sport to watch. I haven't been able to yet but want to see some baseball action soon. There's some hometown heroes running in the 200m and the 800m races, so I'll definitely make a point to watch those. 🇨🇦

6. Neither - spring and fall > summer and winter. Extreme weather at either end of the thermometer sucks. Give me crisp and cool any day of the week.

3 hours ago, osens said:

It's been a really solid start, exactly the kind of good run out of the gates that the top teams put together, so keeping the momentum going will be the focus.

We need to work on stamina so they we can keep the tempo up in those OT periods, as well as some serious shooting practice so we can keep our composure in the shoot outs.

It's important for any team and especially so for us, Welch is such a force and an asset for our team. Relying on defensemen to provide attacking options as well is paramount to a good team.

I actually work at a broadcast station so it's on the TV all day at work. Cheering for GB of course, the Rugby 7s have been surprisingly entertaining to watch even though I'm not that into watching Rugby.

Novocaine by Twin Atlantic

It's a song by a Scottish band with a super super catchy chorus that gets stuck in your head. Perfect song for turn up in the car and belting out the lyrics.

Summer, though in the UK we die if it gets above like 28 degrees because we don't have any AC in most buildings

Its a great way to start. Im getting more games in . so we shall see what happens 

That one super star that has the power to give us the point

to me its one of the biggest. since they stand in front of me ! :)

Now that the softball team is done. Nope 

Jason Darula, Your the one( Or what ever its called)

6. What do you like more - summer or winter?Winter all the way . this Florida weather in summer sucks it was 104 this afternoon with the heat index

On 7/29/2021 at 11:50 AM, osens said:

1. Honestly couldn't be happier with the fresh start with the Dragons and the season so far. I never would put pressure on wanting my team to be perfect out the gate and having an amazing winning record, but to be in the race for the top of the division makes me super happy to be a Dragon.

2. Honestly probably not having one more amazing forward up front alongside our Captain, some of those extra point loses were high scoring games so the blame definitely goes more on the defense and myself included, but having the firepower upfront might help keep the puck out of our end more.

3. I wouldn't say I'm a super important piece to the puzzle, but I'm beyond glad that I find myself here in DC rather than anywhere else. I knew that a change of scenery might be better for me mentally but seeing myself produce at this rate makes me happy with how things turned out. Now let's put this to even more work and strive for a deep run in the playoffs.

4. I've been on vacation all week so I haven't really been paying attention, plus I'm more of a winter Olympic guy.

5. Probably GOTTASADAE - BewhY, just hits so good.

6. Winter. Give me the cold and leadup to Halloween and Christmas and I'm a happy boy.

For the week ending August 8th!

1. This week has been tough for us, in the last 5 games we have only picked up one win. When should we start worrying about it?

2. In NA Conference the difference between first place and last place is 9 points, compared to EU Conference where there are 19 points. Do you think NA teams keep up this consistency or the difference at the end of the season between first and the last place will be much bigger?

3.  What teams in your opinion are going to be our biggest competitors for a playoff spot?

4. One food that most people love but you hate?

5. Wildest dream that you have ever had?

6. How many alarms do you usually need to wake up in the morning?

1. This week has been tough for us, in the last 5 games we have only picked up one win. When should we start worrying about it?

I don’t think so. I think that we’re gonna start winning games soon.

2. In NA Conference the difference between first place and last place is 9 points, compared to EU Conference where there are 19 points. Do you think NA teams keep up this consistency or the difference at the end of the season between first and the last place will be much bigger?

I think that the difference between the first and last NA team at the end of the season will be bigger since that was the case for the past 2 seasons.

3.  What teams in your opinion are going to be our biggest competitors for a playoff spot?

Chicago, New York and Prague

Sushi.

5. Wildest dream that you have ever had?

Me running away from a maniac with the same name as me who was living in the walls of my house and trying to kill me to take my place at school.

6. How many alarms do you usually need to wake up in the morning?

3+ I usually sleep through many alarms.

On 8/3/2021 at 12:26 AM, osens said:

For the week ending August 8th!

1. This week has been tough for us, in the last 5 games we have only picked up one win. When should we start worrying about it?

2. In NA Conference the difference between first place and last place is 9 points, compared to EU Conference where there are 19 points. Do you think NA teams keep up this consistency or the difference at the end of the season between first and the last place will be much bigger?

3.  What teams in your opinion are going to be our biggest competitors for a playoff spot?

5. Wildest dream that you have ever had?

6. How many alarms do you usually need to wake up in the morning?

1. We're about half-way through the season, so the worry should be soon as if we want to make the playoffs we need to be a lot more consistent. Despite being middle of the division, we could easily swing to the bottom if we go on a losing skid.

2. I think with the implosion of Toronto and some teams failing to live up to expectations *cough* New York *cough*, I think in the next 20 games I think the gap will start to widen, but I think the main thing is that the NA Conference this year is just a lot more stronger than the EU Conference.

3. Chicago and Seattle are consistently in the playoffs and consistently go far, so I wouldn't want to face up with them in the 1st round off the bat, but overall I think our worst match-up would be Seattle out of all the teams in the NA Conference just due to how badly they've beat us in all the games we've had so far with them.

4. Definitely pickles. I can easily get a jar or two of them and just mack on them all day long for snacks.

5. Wildest dream would be that we'll eventually be married @osens 😍

6. I have ones on my phone set up for every half an hour from 6 am to 8:30 am to make sure I get up for work. And even then it usually doesn't work 💀

For the week ending August 15th!

1. Our defenseman Mann @Mikescored a hat-trick against Seattle Bears and Welch @Juice scored 2 goals too. Are sniper-defensemen a part of our team's identity now? 

2. Groovy Dood @bigALis leading our team in goals and points, but he isn't getting any younger. Do you think he can keep this up

For bigAL - Do you think you can keep up this productivity?

3.  D.C has got only one forward resigned - Groovy Dood. Would this be the right time for a re-tool of our offense?

4. Movie that was so bad, you couldn't even finish it watching?

5. Android or iOS? 

6. What is one thing that you can beat everyone in it?

47 minutes ago, osens said:

1. Our defenseman Mann @Mikescored a hat-trick against Seattle Bears and Welch @Juice scored 2 goals too. Are sniper-defensemen a part of our team's identity now? 

2. Groovy Dood @bigALis leading our team in goals and points, but he isn't getting any younger. Do you think he can keep this up

3.  D.C has got only one forward resigned - Groovy Dood. Would this be the right time for a re-tool of our offense?

5. Android or iOS? 

1. Well personally as the league's leader in defender goal scoring, I think it's safe to say we love to take sniping it to the next level by doing it from the blue line consistently 😎

2. Groovy Dood isn't getting any younger, but the soon to be DC Dragon all time point leader will not slow down until he's literally forced into retirement. I fully expect him to put it to the next gear and turn up the point and goal scoring sooner than later this season.

3. DC is definitely in a win-now phase with the remaining core besides a few pieces either retiring next season or the season afterwards, which means heavy regression incoming. I'd say that re-tooling is a must, but my faith is with Eno to make the right moves to put us in a good position.

4. Hitch with Will Smith. I'm not even sure if it was because it was bad or not, but I literally attempted to sit through it 3 times and fell asleep each and every time.

5. Android babyyyyyy. Apple is for posh people or people with too much money, I'll take my Samsung Galaxy any day over an IPhone.

6. Degrading myself with self-roasting sadge.

For the week ending August 22th!

1. This week we had 6 game win streak, but we have fallen off a little bit at the end of the week. How important is it to be consistent during the regular season?

2. Our starting goalie Malone @WentzKneeFan036had to make 65 saves in the game against Vancouver Wolves to get us a win. What do we have to improve, so we could make his job easier?

3. Groovy Dood @bigALis 53 points away from being the D.C Dragon's all-time leader in points. How close do you think he will be after this season?

4. There are a lot of conspiracy theories, some stupid and some interesting, but what conspiracy theory do you believe? 

5. What do you prefer to drink in the morning - tea or coffee?

6. Video game that you could play over and over again?

15 minutes ago, osens said:

1. This week we had 6 game win streak, but we have fallen off a little bit at the end of the week. How important is it to be consistent during the regular season?

2. Our starting goalie Malone @WentzKneeFan036had to make 65 saves in the game against Vancouver Wolves to get us a win. What do we have to improve, so we could make his job easier?

3. Groovy Dood @bigALis 53 points away from being the D.C Dragon's all-time leader in points. How close do you think he will be after this season?

4. There are a lot of conspiracy theories, some stupid and some interesting, but what conspiracy theory do you believe? 

1. We have to be consistently average. If you're too good, you're setting yourself up to get Simon'd. If you're too bad, you end up with a stressful last few weeks and my doctor said I can't do that anymore. We're good, have faith.

2. Only 65? If you had your way, it would've been four more eh? You two love birds are adorable.

3. Holy shit really? I still have another season?? Playing with Benny was the honour of my career, and it'll be a special night in two weeks when I pass him in the :dcd: record book.

4. Did you ever hear about The Frozen Envelope and the NBA conspiracy to bring Patrick Ewing to the New York Knicks? Such a genius business move, such a shady conspiracy.

5. Coffee. I got waaaaay too on the coffee when I was in Asia, slamming like 6 or 7 💪 Vietnamese coffee a day, that it became a problem. I came home and legitimately had to detox. It was an absolute lifesaver that I was just in school for that month, so I could sleep all day, be grumpy and tired, and still get to class for two hours at a time. Cutting out coffee requires a month with absolutely nothing to do. After that, I switched to green tea to get my caffiene fix. Somewhere along the line I got back on the coffee, and haven't looked back. I brought my big French Press and my travel mug (that is also a French press) with me to Europe - it's too risky to 'hope' you'll have cheap easy access to coffee when you're travelling.

6. I've got a few: XCOM; Into the Breach; Mario Sports (esp. Tennis and Golf now that there's online multiplayer); Binding of Isaac. 

On 8/10/2021 at 6:18 AM, osens said:

5. Android or iOS? 

1. You could definitely say that. I think it's more of the idea that our defensemen chip in on offense in general. 

2. Al is one of the most fit people I've ever seen, if anyone can keep it up, it'll be him. 

3. I don't want to see any of our guys go, but it is a business and maybe a retool wouldn't be a bad idea in the long run.

4. That awful Sherlock and Watson movie from a few years ago. God it was so fucking bad, I wish I could get back the $20 I spent to go see it.

5. Definitely an IOS guy.

6. A cook-off. I don't have two years of culinary training for nothing. Unless it's for a job. Then I use it for nothing.

On 8/17/2021 at 9:05 PM, osens said:

1. Being consistent is without a doubt important, but being consistent at the tail end of the regular season is even more important as you can easily go on a losing skid and be on the outside looking in for the playoffs 😕

2. I think making moves at the TDL for more depth is overall important, but Malone is having an amazing season if you look at his statistics compared to other starting goaltenders in the league.

3. OH CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN. I think he'll easily hit it next season, it'll be really hard to hit it with under 20 games left this season, so I'd say by game 40 next season he'll be the record holder.

4. Oh easily that aliens exist. There's no way that us humans, some of the most intelligent and also least intelligent things on this planet, are the only ones out there in all of the universe.

5. I always switch it up, I used to be a big coffee guy when I was in school, tea guy when I was doing smaller jobs, and now that I'm in a more career orientated field I have to get coffee in my system to wake me up.

6. Eastside Hockey Manager, maybe you know this one @osens ;)

For the week ending August 29th!

1. What is the secret weapon that will help us in our journey to playoffs and other teams don't have it?

2. Which VHL member you can shout out and say that was the biggest help when you first started your player?

3. Do you like surprises?

4. What is your player's pre-game routine?

5.  Which teams will be in NA Conference TOP4 at the end of the season? (https://vhlportal.com/stats/standings)

6. Do you think esports is a sport? 

On 8/25/2021 at 8:12 AM, osens said:

1. What is the secret weapon that will help us in our journey to playoffs and other teams don't have it?

2. Which VHL member you can shout out and say that was the biggest help when you first started your player?

5.  Which teams will be in NA Conference TOP4 at the end of the season? (https://vhlportal.com/stats/standings)

1. Gotta be our starting goalie. Kevin Malone. Dude's a brick wall behind us. Bails us out many nights.

2. Definitely @JigglyGumballs, didn't hurt that we came into the league at the same time on the same shit team, so we already had a history

3. Not really.

4. Practice blocking shots and sittin' on the bench, gotta practice what you're good at!

5. Hopefully, Seattle, LA, Chicago, and Us.

6. Yes, and I will not accept any bullshittery that says anything else.

On 8/25/2021 at 5:12 PM, osens said:

1. We're beyond far the underdogs. If you look at our team on paper, we shouldn't be in the playoffs compared to a team like New York that are not in the playoffs, and I've heard people saying DC blows. I think we have the top end talent that could push us over the edge if we really count our lucky stars and I hope STHS gives us the underdog wins.

2. @fromtheinsidefar and by far. Literally gave me a message with a guide about building my player + I was able to look at his player to really get an idea on how to build the perfect specimen of a defenseman. That and also just overall guided me to become a full-timer here and not just some random clicker doing this on the side.

3. Depends. Are we talking about getting surprised pantsed in the middle of the hallway in school, or like a surprise party? Because if it's the former HELL NO.

4. My player's pre-game routine is recovering from a bathtub alcohol hangover and just being able to be conscious enough to get on the ice.

5. With the young guns on Vancouver and with the rest of the teams having aging vets, I think they could be a big surprise if players like the Reinhart bros just absolutely breakout to the next level.

6. Hell yeah, it might not be as physically intense but I firmly stand behind esports as the next big thing in sports, and will be getting more television coverage over the next few years.

For the week ending September 5th!

1. Holy smokes, it's the last week of August, where did the summer go?

2. At the time of these questions, we are 2-0 up in our Wild Card series, do you like to be the favorites in the series or be the underdogs?

3. What is the most dangerous lead in hockey?

4. We have scored 10 goals in 2 games, do you think we can keep this up in further games?

5.  Recently I had flu, what is your secret weapon to get through those difficult sick days?

6. It's almost Autumn again and school is starting up, what is your best memory of school?

11 hours ago, osens said:

2. At the time of these questions, we are 2-0 up in our Wild Card series, do you like to be the favorites in the series or be the underdogs?

4. We have scored 10 goals in 2 games, do you think we can keep this up in further games?

5.  Recently I had flu, what is your secret weapon to get through those difficult sick days?

6. It's almost Autumn again and school is starting up, what is your best memory of school?

1. To Hell. Summer went to hell, right where it belongs. Summer sucks, WINTER FOR LIFE!

2. Underdogs. Adds more fuel to the fire, and you typically get more people rooting for you.

3. In the words of legendary Hockey Personality, Steven G. Dangle, "IT WAS 4-1!!!"

4. Hopefully. Maybe Nylen can get one! Yeah, I thought that was funny too.

5. Just sleep through it.

6. Leaving school. Being an adult has its bonuses, one of which not having to go to school anymore.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

On 8/31/2021 at 10:46 PM, osens said:

1. Flew by, things re-opened here in July and all of a sudden it turned to September in an instant. Helps when you're not stuck inside 24/7 mandatory with curfews and restrictions.

2. Obviously cooler to be the underdogs, and definitely WHEN WE CAME BACK TO WIN THE SERIES...despite losing to Seattle the next round sadge.

3. Most dangerous lead is a lead where you feel too comfortable, even if i that's 1-0, 4-1, or even 5-0. Whenever you even slightly relax, that's when the enemy bites back.

4. I'm not sure if we have the firepower to continue such goalscoring streaks, definitely with tougher opponents in the way, but that is life when we don't have a lot of high TPE scoring players.

5. I've still battling my flu that i've had for almost a week now, my only advice is to pray to jesus because dear lord I can't shake this flu.

6. My best memory of school is getting tf out of there as school was nothing but pain for me 😹