Wayyyy Too Early VHL Mock Draft!!

Ledge

Here we go, starting off with a VHL mock draft that is, as the title implies, wayyyy too early! I'm Ledge, and I hope you like this article because it took be a hell of a long time to make it. And if you're wondering, no, I did not assign teams to picks. I can't tell the future THAT well. 

1st overall: Red Lite @Tate

This one really wasn't a very tough decision. Red Lite is a star in the making. Currently sitting at a crazy 245 TPE, he'll be more than capped and ready to join the lucky team that lands him this offseason. The right winger is playing for the San Diego Marlins in the M, who are probably going to be a playoff team, allowing Lite to go on a draft showcase during the playoffs. All in all, look for Red Lite to have a fruitful VHL career. 

2nd overall: Battre Sandstrom @Acydburn

This 2nd overall pick was really close between Acyd and Beav, but since Beav is generally hated on by the league(I'm a beavliever btw), the higher pick goes to Acyd's new recreate, Sandstrom. A defenceman for the Yukon Rush, who are underperforming despite a good roster this year, Sandstrom has been quite good, notching almost point per game as a defenceman and basically opening up the eyes of a lot of VHL scouts.

3rd overall: Hulk Hogan Jr. @Beaviss

There's no way a player as good as Hogan Jr. can fall farther than third in a relatively weak draft. Hogan has been not quite as offensively noticeable as Sandstrom but is a key part of the dominant Mexico City Kings roster and has amassed huge amounts of hits and blocked shots. Part of the champion Miami Marauders last season, Hogan already has a ring, and is looking for another this year.

4th overall: Frank Funk Jr. @Rayzor_7

Funk, Rayzor's new player after the legendary Rayz Funk retired last season, has the slight edge over the next guy down because Rayzor is a GM and can be counted on to be active. Funk himself has had a pretty good season. The Russian winger has put up decent points while also being a critical part of the Marlins blueline.

5th overall: Tom Eagles @Greg_Di

Next up at 5th overall is Eagles. The Polish defenceman has been a sensation so far with the Philadelphia Reapers, putting up nearly a point per game and and having 113 shots as a defenceman! Eagles also capps every week, so a reliable earner is to be had. An overall gem that GMs should be looking out for

6th overall: Gunnar Odinsson @BOOM™

When BOOM finally returned to the VHL, they made quite a splash. Odinsson is the product of this rebirth, and although he has been overshadowed by some other young talents on the Marlins, he's still put up more than half a point per game and 61 blocked shots. BOOM is a good investment to be made, so Odinsson could be chosen higher. 

7th overall: Kaladin Kvothe @DangerGolding

DG's new British player comes in the form of Kvothe, who has an utterly unpronounceable surname. Yet ANOTHER player from the Marlins, Kvothe is a low-scoring left wing. Which is super confusing, mind you, because he has 90 TPE in scoring. One of the great conundrums of this era. Only 9 goals this season. Nevertheless, Kvothe should go around 7th overall.

8th overall: Kristof Welch @Juice

A crazy reach at 8th overall? Nah. I even think Welch could go higher. The defender for the Yukon Rush earns TPE like his life depends on it, racking up 25 last week and 27 the week before. He headlines a group of first gen players who have been dominating the TPE leaderboards. Welch has slightly less than half a point per game, put that can be improved easily. 

9th overall: Magnus Verlander @Jbeezy76

While not a top earner, Verlander has been showing off his almost perfect build this season, collecting more than a point per game with the dream team Kings. A lot of other players in this draft class have been struggling in the point column, but Verlander has been exceptional. 

10th overall: Phoenix Dawson @Toast

The legendary Toast cometh! Dawson, a two-way center for the defending champions Miami Marauders, is one of those players you can count on to cap each week and be a reliable member of the team. 36 points in 45 games isn't too shabby for a two-way forward, so I think next season we can expect some leaderboards for Dawson.

11th overall: Robin Galante Nilsson @RomanesEuntDomus

Another player who caps every single week, Nilsson, a defenceman for the Philadelphia Reapers, has been a fantastic example of what every team needs. A solid, puck moving defender who can hit, block shots, and show up on the scoresheet. This is actually Nilsson's rookie season, which makes his saga even more incredible.

12th overall: Hex Rose @Hex Universe

I have to give some credit to my boy, Hex. He was just hired by VSN to be a writer, and although Rose himself hasn't been one of the leading scorers in the league, he is a really good investment to make. One of the most eager first-gens I have ever seen in my short time in the league, Hex earns like crazy and I think he deserves to go higher than this in the draft.

13th overall: Caitlyn Catowize @CrazyCaityCat

Whaaat? She fell this far? I know, it was really hard to do, but there are so many young talents in here that it's hard to pick just 16 for the first round. I feel the only reason Catowize dropped so far is because of her dismal point totals. This is another conundrum, because her build looks fine to me. I guess Simon is the one who picks the successful players, though. Catowize is still a steal at 13.

14th overall: Erin Esurance @Sljppers

Yet another first gen TPE machine is Erin Esurance. The winger for the lowly Mississauga Hounds has benefitted greatly from the large amounts of ice time, posting 24 goals and more than a point per game. Esurance has also been at the top of TPE leaderboards almost every time I've checked. Obviously an absolute steal at 14, very much could be higher.

15th overall: Eeli Rantanen @Jolline

Arrg, this is getting so hard! So many capable players, but not nearly enough spots! I figured I'd have to give one to Rantanen, though. Almost a point per game player, Rantanen also has an insane 232 shots. Another winger who is benefitting from the ice time opened up by the rebuilding Hounds, he is also a reliable TPE earner. A win-win for the lucky team that gets him.

16th overall: Phil The Rock Johnson @Phil

Despite his measly two points this season as a forward, I know a couple of teams that would gladly take Johnson, a winger for the Marlins. He's a consistent earner, but I think his scoring and passing are too close together. Anyhow, a player with this much TPE will be a good player to get this late in the draft. 

Honorable Mentions:

Jivere Zolnek @Sixersfan549

Evgeny Bernov @Viperxhawks19

Javad Kamkar @Parriyah9374

Lenny Sanderson @Gally

MacGruber @Motzaburger

Philip Stein @IHateBobNutting

So, Since I want to get to claim this for three weeks, I'll have to write another four hundred words or so. So I'll do a quick recap of what just happened.

Red Lite is going 1st overall. This is not debatable.  He is by far the best player available, and I hope the team that gets 1st overall chooses him. 

For 2nd overall, it's up to Battre Sandstrom and Hulk Hogan Jr. I say whichever one earns the most the next couple weeks will get the earlier pick(btw guys, if you're not going to do a point task, why not claim welfare?)

Frank Funk Jr. and Tom Eagles will battle it out for 4th overall, and the other will go 5th. No question here either

After that, it's a mess of a draft class. Lots of capable players, but some with large amounts of TPE but not of points. I can see Welch, Rose, Esurance, and Rantanen easily climbing the rankings a lot the next couple weeks, and I'll bet we see Kamkar, Sanderson, and Stein on this list very soon. Overall, not as strong a draft class as last season, but a very strong one indeed. I think we should still see active players through the 3rd round or so, but them it drops off dramatically, so we won't be having an expanded draft this season. 

I mean, I don't want to jinx anything, but it looks like the LA Stars might get 1st overall two years in a row. Pistil Stamen and then Red Lite. For sure a recipe for greatness. If the Riga Reign manage to get lucky at the lottery, Lite will be a gift to their rebuild. Even if they don't get it, they're getting a top five pick, so that rebuild looks very, very promising. 

Also, a little RIP for me, I chose Davos to win the cup in the awards predictions thing. They are second last in the European conference. So I won't be winning that, at least this year.

1551 words

7 minutes ago, Ledge_and_Dairy said:

8th overall: Kristof Welch @Juice

A crazy reach at 8th overall? Nah. I even think Welch could go higher. The defender for the Yukon Rush earns TPE like his life depends on it, racking up 25 last week and 27 the week before. He headlines a group of first gen players who have been dominating the TPE leaderboards. Welch has slightly less than half a point per game, put that can be improved easily.

😍 Me? A top 10 pick? That'd be absolutely insane and I'd forever be grateful, I'm glad that my passion for TPE gainz is being noticed :P

Absolutely wonderful writeup overall! I always love me some mock-drafts and to be apart of yours is my pleasure ❤️

3 hours ago, Ledge_and_Dairy said:

13th overall: Caitlyn Catowize @CrazyCaityCat

Whaaat? She fell this far? I know, it was really hard to do, but there are so many young talents in here that it's hard to pick just 16 for the first round. I feel the only reason Catowize dropped so far is because of her dismal point totals. This is another conundrum, because her build looks fine to me. I guess Simon is the one who picks the successful players, though. Catowize is still a steal at 13.

I'm quite happy to be a first round pick. I'd be quite happier to have higher point totals as well, I'm working on it now that I'm on the third line haha.

Nice mock draft if a bit early, I bet this will look a heck of a lot different come draft day haha. One thing I'd like to point out is that sometimes TPE isn't all that matters, often activity is the thing that GMs look for. I liked that you gave some honorable mentions at the end, to give some indication of who could potentially steal a spot in the first round. 10/10 acticle

On 12/8/2020 at 5:40 PM, Ledge_and_Dairy said:

The Russian winger has put up decent points while also being a critical part of the Marlins blueline.

wait wat? Frank Funk playing every position? It's those damn crazy Soviet positionless systems I guess

Great mock draft my guy. I liked how each summary for each player was about the same length, when I did this I made the mistake of putting more detail into the higher ranking players. I'm glad you made it more equal. The little summary at the end is also a very nice touch as it gives more insight to your choices rather than just summarizing the players at there position. 10/10

Review

Good job, nice to see write-ups on everyone and that you have all players that you included the same kind of attention instead of favoring the top-picks, as someone else has already pointed out. The write-ups also contain some good info and show that you actually looked at the players in some depth instead, although I would've liked to see a bit more content on the stats sides of things, as you often talk about peoples production but don't actually show the stats you are referring too. Layout is not flashy but gets the job done, I liked that you included honorable mentions as well but the last part seemed kinda rushed as you yourself admitted.

Rating 9/10

Dang this mock is lit.

Given the amount of picks you've gone through, its impressive you went into depth for them as well. Lots of good content here with relevant info. Spacing is good and the format is done well and the extra tagging is just nice additional effort.  The only thing that could improve on this is colors and pictures which i recommend to help make articles look better.

9/10