VSN Presents: S91 Review & Predictions WK 3

gaikoku-weeklyreview.jpg?ex=656b2076&is=

Graphic continue to be produced and made by @leandrofg

Half way through the season and most of the league seems to have a clear understand of where they stand but do I understand where the team really stand? Well, Let`s look at how I did in the second week of predictions as I think I have been better this week!! While you’re here be sure to check out some of the other recent VSN articles.

30 Seasons of Failure, The New York Americans StoryThe Man Behind It AllA Look Back - Heavenly Seven

North American Conference

Standings                                       Record                         PTS                           Last WK                                              Prediction Last Wk.               

1.     :la:       Los Angeles Stars                    24-10-4                  52pts                     (7-3-4)                           🟰       1st North American Conference

2.     :chi:     Chicago Phoenix                      21-11-6                    48pts                     (6-7-1)                           🟰       2nd North American Conference

3.     :tor:     Toronto Legion                         20-17-1                    41pts                     (8-5-1)                           🟰       3rd North American Conference

4.     :sea:     Seattle Bears                            16-18-5                    37pts                    (4-9-1)                           🔺        5th North American Conference

5.     :dcd:     D.C. Dragons                             15-18-5                    35pts                    (5-7-2)                           🔺        6th North American Conference

6.     :cal:    Calgary Wranglers                    14-17-7                     35pts                    (4-7-4)                          🔻        4th North American Conference

7.     :nya:     New York Americans                16-21-2                     34pts                    (7-7-1)                           🔺        8th North American Conference

8.     :que:     Vancouver Wolves                   13-19-6                     32pts                   (4-5-5)                           🔻        7th North American Conference

Summary:

All the movement was at the top of the conference this week with Los Angeles moving up to take the conference lead and Toronto over taking Seattle as predicated. New York traded for a goalie and made a small run out of the basement like a kid scared by the boogieman!! I wasn`t confident about Calgary and they proved to worth the skepticism.

European Conference

Standings                                         Record                         PTS                           Last Wk                                            Prediction Last Wk.                

1.    :rig:      Riga Reign                                  29-9-1                    59pts                     (12-3-0)                             🟰         1st Europe Conference

2.     :mal:    Malmo Nighthawks                   28-9-2                    58pts                     (13-2-0)                             🔺         3rd Europe Conference

3.     :dav:    HC Davos Dynamo                    24-7-7                     55pts                     (11-1-3)                             🔻         2nd Europe Conference

4.     :ldn:    London United                           24-9-6                     54pts                     (10-4-1)                             🟰        4th Europe Conference

5.     :hel:    Helsinki Titans                          24-13-2                    50pts                      (8-5-1)                             🟰         5th Europe Conference

6.     :prg:   Prague Phantoms                     21-14-3                    45pts                       (7-6-1)                             🟰        6th Europe Conference

7.      :war:   Warsaw Predators                    10-26-2                    22pts                       (4-8-2)                             🟰       7th Europe Conference

8.     :mos:    Moscow Menace                       8-24-6                     22pts                       (5-8-2)                             🟰       8th Europe Conference

Summary:

Would have had this completely correct if I didn`t over estimate or notice the two-point difference in the standings between Malmo and HC Davos but I was a much closer than I would have even though after making last minute changes last week before posting as I had HC Davos 4th when I first wrote the predictions only to realize was being as silly bugger as I wasn`t considering their easy schedule. Helsinki and Prague look like they could be in trouble now!?!

This week’s predictions:

VHLLogocopy3.jpg.59a2b957fd65ee9edc9ce4722bdf54e5.jpg

North American Conference

🟰                              1.     q3DUJNE.png

Reason: One of the hottest teams in the North American conference and they have a four point lead in the standings over Chicago; who finally look like they have come back down to Earth. Add in the mix bag of a schedule with Vancouver(2), HC Davos(3) and Moscow(2); it should lead to similar record as last win, at least. Los Angeles continues to be score by committee with Sunglasses Joyo @JetsGoalie101 (19-37-56pts), Larry Abass Jr  @RileyL (26-28-54pts), Todd Cooke @KRZY (22-25-47pts) and Napoleon Dynamite @thadthrasher (14-27-41pts) all above a point per game. Only concern for Los Angeles will be the lack of a star defender but again they have rather decided to work as committee from the back-end as well with Elias Lampi @Pifferfish (10-27-37) and Jens Lekman @Bobcat (7-30-37pts) tied on points.

🟰                              2.     LZX5Px1.png

Reason: Same reason as last week as they have a seven-point lead on the chasing Toronto Legion but it will be an interest week for both of these teams as they play each other three times; giving a chance that Toronto can make up at least six points in head-to-head series. (as unlikely as it might be) add in visits by other top teams the six remaining games against team lower in the standing will be huge for the Phoenix this week starting with Vancouver and D.C.  Next week we might be talking about another drop for this team; who continues to hold the secret of the fountain of youth as Scotty Sundin  @fromtheinside (29-34-63pts) not only leads the team but the league in scoring. Legacy Gaming @Gaming Ringleader (18-28-46pts) continue to have a strong season but overall Chicago will need to find secondary scoring if they hope to stay near the top of the North American conference and do some damage in the play-offs.

🟰                              3.     4rgbBt7.png

Reason: Big week if they hope to move up the standings with Warsaw(2), New York(2) and Moscow but really the biggest games of the week are the games head-to-head against Chicago(3). I think they will need to win at least ten games if they are going to catch and pass Chicago this week. Jimi Jaks @ke1vi (21-26-47) and Mac Atlas @v.2 (21-24-45) continue to lead the attack for the Legion and Joel Castle @animal74 (2.26GA & 0.931) will need to continue to provide solid tendering if they are going to become strong contenders down the stretch; so far so good!!

🔺                               4.    tBGI8d5.png

Reason: They have a goaltender in Brandt Fuhr @Tate (2.70GA & 0.928) but more importantly he has gone 7-4-1 since being traded from Vancouver Wolves. With the strong continued play from Francesco Mancini @GioSivo (30-31-61pts) and Jasper Davis @Josh (21-40-61pts). Now add in the goaltending and New York should be heading in the right direction up the standing ahead of the other teams all playing below five hundred hockey.

🔻                                 5.    sEkoclV.png

Reason: A few points are hard to make up when everyone is playing around five hundred hockey and so the next few placements could really go either way but I have Seattle at 5th since I think they should be slightly better than D.C. and Calgary through the week. Rex Wolffe Gregor @oilmandan (16-30-46pts) continues his amazing run of form for the Bears and Svatopluk Puk @Otaznik(22-19-41pts) continue to be over a point-per-game player. Clueless Wallob @DMaximus (3.04GA & 0.924) has most likely been keeping the Bears higher up in the standing than they really should be and I don`t see this changing any time soon.   

🔻                                 6.    0beFNki.png

Reason: Somehow, they lack scoring and simply cannot outscore any of the problems they might be having defensively. This team is confusing to me a bit since they should be able to score more with the likes of The Frenchman @OrbitingDeath (17-21-38pts) , Jason @Jason kranz (21-21-42pts) and Vincent Laroche-Gagnier @vincentlg2007 (16-17-33pts);  even Lucas Grey @emidas (17-15-32pts) should have the ability to be around a point per game player. One would think than goaltending might be the issue but as team the Dragons have allowed the 10th least goals against in the league; so is Geoff Bezos @Quik (2.88GA & 0.920) really the issue? I let you decide that one by yourself.

🔻                                 7.     H3evdlH.png

Reason: Scoring please!! It is crazy to think that Randy Bobandy @AJW (14-19-33pts), Sadie St-Louis @sadie (14-12-26pts) and Oreo McFleury @JB123 (16-18-34pts) simple cannot score more. If Calgary can find more scoring somehow, they might be able to save their season but at the moment I cannot see this team being that much better than an openly tanking team in Vancouver; I have even consider slotting Vancouver ahead of Calgary again this week but thought the better of it.

🟰                               8.     7NXO7mc.png

Reason: Tank is on? Vancouver traded away their goaltender in Brandt Fuhr @Tate (3.24GA & 0.916) only to use the assets to trade for Justin Lion @Emperor_Fun (2.44GA & 0.932); who has only solidified the position even further. FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY Analfist @STZ (23-21-44pts) continue to lead the team offensively and should reach all new career highs barring a season ending injury. Question here is will he improve enough to be considered for the Dustin Funk? Liv Slater @Subject056 (3-29-32pts) is also having a career season with the extra ice time allotted with the rebuilding Wolves.     

VHLLogocopy3.jpg.59a2b957fd65ee9edc9ce4722bdf54e5.jpg

European Conference

🟰                               1.     7w9f2U9.png

Reason: Easy schedule continues as Riga will face Vancouver(2), Warsaw(2) and Calgary(2); sprinkle in the up-start Americans. Riga should continue to roll this week big games this week coming from two games against Prague. Riga continues to roll along thanks to scoring by committee (2nd Best in the league) lead by AK92 Wit da Hoodie @hedgehog337 (27-32-59pts) and Babay Shrimp @Blazzer (18-36-54pts) while solid performance in net by Henry Tucker Jr @NSG (2.50GA & 0.926).

🟰                               2.     IpRHgQo.png

Reason: Should be able to play above five hundred hockey this week again as one of the hottest teams the past two weeks while they do have a tougher schedule this week as they play London United three times. This series should/could determine the second overall in the European Conference but I have placed Malmo here due to the point gap between the two teams and assuming a split series. Malmo also has the best offensive team in the league in thanks to large part due to six players above a point per game in Henry Eagles @Greg_Di (26-28-54pts), Yaroslav Bogatyrev @Bojovnik(29-25-54pts), Skor McFleury @Alex (Not @Spaz) (12-41-53pts) Yaroslav Trunov @qripll (23-25-48pts), Jacob Stone @scoop (10-34-44pts and Viktor Jensen @Advantage (13-31-33pts).

🔺                               3.    9RbN7xC.png       

Reason: They can move in the right direction this week but sadly I don`t see them moving up to second unless they can steal all the point from the high-flying Malmo offense in the head-to-head games this week. London should still win majority of the games this week in large part to the strong play from Jesse Teno @aimkin (1.96GA.; 0.941 & 4SO) add in the strong offensive play from Molly the Cat @JCarson (28-29-57pts), Wann Kerr @VattghernCZ (25-29-54pts) and Leonard Triller @Triller (8-43-51pts).

🔻                                4.     orV41eH.png

Reason: Strong schedule should see HC Davos struggle more this week to play above five hundred hockey while they shouldn`t be over taken by Helsinki or Prague; by the end of the week, they might be looking over their shoulders rather than looking ahead. Lachlan Summers @kirbithan (2.36GA & 0.930) has rounded back into form after a bit of award hangover to start the season and a bit weird to say but HC Davos needs to find some more scoring if they are going to keep pace with Malmo and Riga but I don`t think they are that concerned as Leandro Goncalves @leandrofg (27-36-63pts) leads the league in points (tied) and other two old dogs in Jake Thunder @Thunder (11-36-47pts) and Pete Mitchell @Crstats23 (16-27-43pts) continue to play like spring chickens.

🟰                               5.     MXuqhUu.png

Reason: Should continue to play just above five hundred hockey and point gaps should see them rather locked into this position. Helsinki needs a strong week to close the gap to HC Davos or they could find themselves battling the remainder of the season with Prague to see who makes the finals Wildcard placement. Helsinki really needs Pierre Emile Bouchard @Gaikoku-hito (8-35-43pts) to re-gain the early season former. While Kronchy Kardashian @Garsh (15-25-40pts) has been more than encouraging in the past few weeks. Helsinki also needs to find another forward or two that can take some of the offensive pressure off Landon Wolanin @jacobcarson877 (31-30-61pts) and Daryl Dixon @Ricer13 (18-38-56pts). Fuukka Rask @Jubis (2.40GA & 0.932) continues to have a career season but is Helsinki going to ruin it for him?

🟰                                6.     UjNmgBS.png

Reason: Five points back of the final wildcard spot (Helsinki) and they need a big week!! But I don`t think they play that much above five hundred. Leaving them in a similar situation as last week where Prague will try to close the gap to Helsinki (hope that they don`t loses any unexpected games) and fall even further out of the play-off position. John Jameson @Frank (27-26-53pts) has been less productive lately as teams seem to have been able to shut down the offensive star. Prague simply needs to find secondary scoring if they can before they fall back too much. Matt Murdock @Acydburn (2.60GA & 0.926) has been solid in the pipes and should have some of the tops team really hoping that Prague doesn`t find themselves in a wildcard spot.

:locked:                              7.     lWtQjX0.png

Reason: Should actually be one of the teams to watch this week. I know weird to say about a team that is tanking and tied for the worst record in the league but this is down to "The battle for Last" taking place this week with Calgary(4) and Moscow(3) putting the fans of the team in a awkward position to either cheer for the team to win these games or cheer them if they loses these games. Crazy also to think that Warsaw might have a better than five hundred record this week!! King Kisslinger @Kisslinger (11-11-22pts) hasn`t bounced back yet so could this be the week? Maxim Anisimov @McLovin (14-20-34pts) will also go head-to-head against Rookie of the year candidate Axle Gunner @Steve adding even more interest. 

:locked:                             8.     8gziSIs.png

Reason: While I think they could fall back from Warsaw this week they should also be an interesting team to watch with "The battle of Last" with Warsaw but also games against Vancouver(2) and Calgary adding some interest in the games for the fan as least. Left Alone @okochastar (22-28-50pts) continues to lead the Menacing attack and Rookie of the year candidate Axle Gunner @Steve(19-20-39pts) will look to take advantage of the head-to-head series with Warsaw and Maxim Anisimov @McLovin to hopefully lay at least one hand in the Christian Stolzschweiger trophy.

Overall Thoughts:

A day or two after VSN presented 30 Seasons of Failure, The New York Americans Story ; it is actually funny that I am predicting a turnaround in fortunes in New York’s` season as they should start to climb the standings. Leading to the biggest question; am I over hyping New York’s climb? In Europe Conference I am predicting limited movement this week but this doesn`t mean the conference doesn`t have interest; actually, the opposite holds true as London United versus Malmo Nighthawks should be a great series to watch and could really affect the overall standings. Not to mention battle for Last with Warsaw Predators versus Moscow Menace. Oh, and I am forgetting about the battle for second in North American Conference between Toronto Legion and Chicago Phoenix. It should be a very interesting week to be invested in the VHL!! 

Come back next week to tell me how wrong I was or why not wait and tell me know below in the comment section but please like and subscribe.