VSN Presents: S92 Weekly Predictions (Wk 2)

gaikoku-weeklyreview.jpg?ex=656b2076&is=

Second week and I have already been told in different places that I am complete idiot and really have no clue what I am doing!! So, now with that is out of the way!! Yup, you are completely right; which is why we all enjoy reading these predictions. Either way let’s get into this week’s Review and Predictions:

NorthAmericanBanner.jpg.ca1f007cbf49eb8ed2cf9e7e0c79b113.jpg

Current Standings:

Standings                                         Record                       Points                                Last Wk                                             Prediction Last Wk.                  

1.     :la:     Los Angeles Stars                  21-2-1                     43pts                          (12-1-1)                                   🟰      1st North American Conference

2.     :cal:    Calgary Wranglers                 17-5-3                    37pts                           (11-3-1)                                   🟰      2nd North American Conference

3.     :dcd:    D.C. Dragons                            12-9-3                    27pts                            (9-6-0)                                   🔺      5th North American Conference

4.     :nya:    New York Americans             11-10-3                   25pts                            (4-6-3)                                   🔻      3rd North American Conference

5.     :tor:   Toronto Legion                         11-11-2                    24pts                           (8-6-0)                                    🔺      6th North American Conference

6.     :que:  Vancouver Wolves                   11-12-1                    23pts                           (7-8-0)                                    🔺      7th North American Conference

7.     :chi:   Chicago Phoenix                       9-14-1                    19pts                           (4-11-0)                                    🔻     4th North American Conference

8.     :sea:   Seattle Bears                              7-16-1                    15pts                            (4-9-0)                                    🟰     8th North American Conference

Reason: Not bad overall as I got three of the eight correct and also determined that other could fail like New York having a tough weekend but I didn`t see D.C. Dragons making a slight run this week, or did I? Actually, I did as I assumed that D.C. could be a team to prove me wrong as they played some easier teams this week and have been award for proving me wrong by moving up into 3rd in the North American standings. The biggest surprise this week has to be the fall of Chicago but again I did predict that they could have a tough week as they played the Los Angeles Stars four times last week; maybe I should have been a bit tougher on Chicago as I tend to sit on the fence a bit too much. In the end I also didn`t see them falling that much below Vancouver at least so I would have still gotten wrong either way.

Next Weeks Predictions:

🟰          1.     q3DUJNE.png

I just cannot see them losing that may games as Los Angeles are clearly the top team in the league at the moment having lost a whole two games. I might be doing them dirty even suggesting that might loss as much as three games this week. Yeah, I know panic!! Best offense led by six players at a point game with Todd Cooke @KRZY and Jon Webber Jr @Webberj as usual leading the way. Art Vandelay @Gustav and the best defenseman Elias Lampi @Pifferfish are leading defense to only the best in the league. Best of everything for the Stars as final march continues.

🟰         2.     H3evdlH.png

Calgary will try to keep pace with Los Angeles and should have a fairly easy schedule to help this week but sadly the Wranglers are locked into second in the conference until the Stars start to loss somehow. 4th best offense is much improved from last season is being led by Randy Bobandy @AJW and Rip Wheeler @ScottyP. While defensively the Wranglers are led by Merome Dilson @MexicanCow123 and Phil Strasmore @Phil.

🟰        3.     0beFNki.png

D.C. Dragons will make up a group of three teams that could go back and forth for most of the week but in the end I cannot see the Dragons losing half of their games so should be able to hold onto 3rd in the conference. 3rd best offense should keep them in most game is led by league leading points scorer; The Frenchman @OrbitingDeath and top 10 point getter Vincent Laroche-Gagnier @vincentlg2007. Defensively the Dragons have to be concerned with 13th best defense and will look for more from Henry Tucker Jr @NSG.

🔺         4.     4rgbBt7.png

As I mentioned about, I think we have a group of three teams in the middle of the conference so this team could be anywhere from 3rd to 5th by the end of the week but I am moving them up a single spot as the Legion had a better week then the last team in the group so assuming this continue means Toronto should do enough to move up into 4th at least. 10th Best defense isn`t helping the Legion with one of the best goalies in the league in Joel Castle @animal74 add in the inability to score with the 11th best offense and it should be no surprise that Toronto made a few trades this week bring in Steve Lattimer @pugsood to help the offense and Fraser Wallace @Hoopydog to help the defense.

🔻        5.     tBGI8d5.png

Amazing how this team fell last week and I am predicting another tough week for New York as the Americans have a tough schedule but still should hover around the 500 mark. New York still loses as spot this week but should be able to stay very close to the Dragons and the Legion by the end of the week. Could also finish as high as 3rd if I am correct. FISTED ANALLY BY A CIRCUS MONKEY Analfist @STZ  and Jasper Davis @Josh struggled last week leading the offense to 15th in the league with the bright area being defensively ranked 2nd led by Rookie Goaltender WWWWWWWWW @rory.

🔺      6.     LZX5Px1.png

Chicago is coming off a rough week that seen them go 4-11-0; which means Phoenix can only raise right? Well, I am predicting that with a slightly easier schedule that Chicago should maintain pace with the three teams ahead of them if they can play 500 hockey. With the 11th best defense and inability to outscore their issues at the moment it might be a tall ask.  Yaroslav Trunov @qripll is trying all he can; as he is currently tied for the league lead in points but only has the Phoenix offense ranked 10th. Similar situation on the defensive side of the puck as Ryan Artyomov @Enorama is trying to hold together the 11th ranked defense.

🔻      7.     7NXO7mc.png

Vancouver is in complete sell mode as the Wolves completed a series of trades seeing Ben McLaughlin @Ben mclaughlin, Fraser Wallace @Hoopydog and Braeden Panarella @ThatCasual shipped to contending teams for picks. As the rebuild continues this wasn`t that unexpected but now means Vancouver remaining players are in for a tough ride; like losing a lot more games than they have so far this season. 12th best offense won`t be around much longer as Braeden Panarella @ThatCasual was Vancouver leading scorer leaving Nick Sansoe @Tipskid97 and Liv Slater @Subject056 to try to keep it respectable. Defensively Dalkr Vidarsson @KaleebtheMighty will need to stand on his head if he is going to keep the 14th ranked defense out of the basement.

🟰      8.     sEkoclV.png

The fight for last is coming and funny it is two rival teams in the Wolves versus the Bears but this time it’s not play-offs or for first in the conference but draft lottery placement. Seattle has been winning three or four games every week and I think that should continue but Seattle won`t win enough to move them out of the basement in North American conference at least this week. Offensively the Bears are not that bad ranked 8th led by Severus Targaryen @Banackock but this could change with Steve Lattimer @pugsood being sold off to Toronto. Defensively they are by far the worst team in the league with some 23 more goals against than any other team.

EuropeanBanner.jpg.6fe65f4ceeb641e0ad744491582913c1.jpg

Current Standings:

Standings                                         Record                       Points                                Last Wk                                             Prediction Last Wk.                  

1.     :mal:    Malmo Nighthawks                15-6-3                     33pts                           (8-4-1)                              🔺     3rd European Conference

2.    :mos:    Moscow Menace                     14-7-3                     31pts                            (8-5-1)                              🔺     5th European Conference

3.     :hel:   Helsinki Titans                          13-9-3                    29pts                            (6-7-2)                             🔺      6th European Conference

4.     :ldn:   London United                          12-8-3                    27pts                             (7-6-1)                             🔻      2nd European Conference

5.     :prg:  Prague Phantoms                    12-10-2                  26pts                             (6-6-2)                             🔻      1st European Conference

6.     :rig:   Riga Reign                                  11-10-2                   24pts                             (7-5-1)                              🟰      6th European Conference

7.     :war:   Warsaw Predators                  10-14-1                   21pts                              (7-7-1)                              🟰      7th European Conference

8.     :dav:   HC Davos Dynamo                   7-15-3                   17pts                              (5-8-1)                             🟰       8th European Conference

Reason: Blame the fact that I missed the fact that Prague and Moscow would play four game series against each other this week; not to mention my predictions are based around a ten-game set not a fifteen-game set (dumb ass). Meant five more games played than I predicted but Prague going 1-3 against Moscow boosted the Menace and pushed down the Phantoms. If we switched the series this series than Prague would have been second in the standings. Instead, Moscow moves up more than expected. Moscow has now put the European Conference on notice after now beating up on Prague and Warsaw in back-to-back weeks. London United prediction is the fault of the schedule and my under-estimation of the games that would be played as London was 7-2-1 in the games that I actually predicted; would I have predicted that they would lose 4 straight games? No, but maybe 2-2 in that stretch. Either way I went 3 for 8 in the conference with Prague and London very wrong.

Next Week Predictions:

🟰        1.     IpRHgQo.png

Clearly the best team in Europe right now add in what should be an easy schedule; the Nighthawks should hold onto top spot in the conference. Malmo is being led by Jacob Stone @scoop and Viktor Jensen @Advantage with a team commitment to both defence (4th in GA) and scoring (5th in GF).

🟰         2.     8gziSIs.png

While Moscow might have a tougher schedule, they are a good enough team to still hang onto the second place in the European Conference but could be challenged Helsinki later in the week. Axle Gunner @Steve and Left Alone @okochastar are both in the top ten of scoring, which isn`t that surprising considering Moscow has the 2nd best offense in the league. While defensively they are led by the Rookies in Olober Syko @Spartan and Leif Reingaard @Zetterberg good enough for 7th in the league at the moment.

🟰        3.     MXuqhUu.png

Helsinki could be one of the best teams in the European conference next week with a fairly easy schedule and should put pressure on Moscow towards the back part of the week. Offensively the Titans have cooled since the first week and now sit 11th with Kronchy Kardashian @Garsh and Daryl Dixon @Ricer13 leading the way. Defensively they fair better at 6th led by Fuukka Rask @Jubisbetween the pipes.

🟰        4.     9RbN7xC.png

After predicting this team to move up in the standing last week I am being a bit more conservative this week as the United should play around 500 hockey this week. If London isn`t lucky this week they could even start losing ground to the top three teams in the conference. With the 7th best defense led by Jesse Teno @aimkin and the 7th best offense being led by Leonard Triller @Triller, who is just outside of the top 10 in scoring.

🟰         5.     UjNmgBS.png

Made moves this week to improve their roster after a rather disappoint week. I have lost faith in this group after my horrible prediction last week so I cannot see them playing much about 500 hockey and will continue to hang around the wildcard spot in the conference. 9th best offense team will be looking for more from John Jameson @Frank and Fred Hampton @TownBizness. Prague fairs better on the defense side of the stats at 5th led by Moritz Stauffer @GoodLeftUndone and Matt Murdock @Acydburn.

🟰        6.     7w9f2U9.png

The young Reign team might be able to keep the pressure on Prague and London if they can play at least 500 hockey or better again this week. The 8th best defense led by Rookies Red Panda @Lemorse7 and Mina @Baozi have Riga still hanging around the wildcard but Riga will need more from the 13th ranked offense as AK92 Wit da Hoodie @hedgehog337 and Babay Shrimp @Blazzer need a bit more support on the offensive side of the puck.

🟰        7.     lWtQjX0.png

What to say here, Overall, the team has struggled and I cannot see that changing. On paper the team should be challenging for at least the wildcard but that simply isn`t the case. I am predicting another tough week but if they can play at least 500 hockey they might just stay in touch of the wildcard spot. 14th best offense needs more from their younger player in Maxim Anisimov @McLovin, King Kisslinger @Kisslinger and Rookie Thor Reingaard @N0HBDY. Defensively 12th ranked defense needs more from veteran goaltender Clueless Wallob @DMaximus .

🟰        8.     orV41eH.png

Locked at the bottom of the conference and cruising to the draft next season where they hope to pick a few players to help rebuild the empty cupboards. It isn`t all that bad with Lachlan Summers @kirbithan keeping the defense out of the basement at 15th. While offensively they are the worst in the league but Lorenzo Cobberson @Hendrix Cobberson is trying to retire in style with a point per game pace and David Jokinen @Ahma isn`t that far behind a point per game pace either.

That it for the first week review and next week’s predictions. As always tell me below in the comment section how poor my predictions are and I will make sure to read them. Either way until next week Keep the sticks on the ice and your heads up!!

Edited by Gaikoku-hito

Love how these went from calling Sparks a second tier goalie- to not being able to even acknowledge he’s playing great this season💀 

Also how tf did you have the fewest words for the first place team in the EU?? I guess I shouldn’t complain too much cuz at least you didn’t triple down on saying the Nighthawks are mid for once😂 

Gripes aside (and don’t take them seriously it’s just a sim league lol)- I do enjoy reading your takes each week even if/when I don’t always agree with all of them, keep up the great work @Gaikoku-hito!!🤘🏻🔥

30 minutes ago, DarkSpyro said:

Love how these went from calling Sparks a second tier goalie- to not being able to even acknowledge he’s playing great this season💀 

Probably because he's 7th out of 16 starting goalies in save percentage and has seen the 2nd fewest shots against in the league. Not much to say in these lengthy articles about a goalie who isn't carrying the team. Seems like every other goalie mentioned was just included with a young defenseman to say "they're leading the defense." Doesn't seem like anyone in specific was praised in here anyways with Wallob also being told to step it up with Warsaw.

On 1/25/2024 at 1:48 AM, DarkSpyro said:

Also how tf did you have the fewest words for the first place team in the EU?? I guess I shouldn’t complain too much cuz at least you didn’t triple down on saying the Nighthawks are mid for once😂 

Gripes aside (and don’t take them seriously it’s just a sim league lol)- I do enjoy reading your takes each week even if/when I don’t always agree with all of them, keep up the great work @Gaikoku-hito!!🤘🏻🔥

I enjoy the fact that we have discussion around these prediction as that is what they are meant to be; conversation starters.

The Nighthawks are in my own opinion a Mid table team and should be sitting around third or forth in the conference by the end of the season but the fact that the games are not played on paper rather is showing a different story as the top two European teams are currently struggling, a team that should be fighting for a wildcard spot is doing much better than projected at the moment and another team projected to be fighting for a wildcard spot is rather fighting for lottery placement instead. All I can say is STHS!!

Still half a season to go and a lot can still happen in 30+ games remaining!!

Edited by Gaikoku-hito

On 1/24/2024 at 11:22 AM, Spartan said:

Probably because he's 7th out of 16 starting goalies in save percentage and has seen the 2nd fewest shots against in the league. Not much to say in these lengthy articles about a goalie who isn't carrying the team. Seems like every other goalie mentioned was just included with a young defenseman to say "they're leading the defense." Doesn't seem like anyone in specific was praised in here anyways with Wallob also being told to step it up with Warsaw.

I kinda get it though, there were exactly two teams who didn't have their goalie mentioned at all... dead last Seattle and first in the EU Malmo. Our offense was struggling pretty bad until like two sims before the time of writing, so it's entirely defense and goaltending that got us up there, and Sparks was like a .932, which while seventh, was behind three goalies at .933 (two of whom are now behind Sparks), so no practical difference between that and being tied for 4th... he mentioned a guy who was like 41st in league scoring as leading our offense.

It's just a writeup for entertainment in a sim league so like not a big deal at all but I can see where's he coming from. And from someone on the team, Sparks is absolutely our MVP right now.

Edited by tcookie

1 minute ago, tcookie said:

I kinda get it though, there were exactly two teams who didn't have their goalie mentioned at all... dead last Seattle and first in the EU Malmo. Our offense was struggling pretty bad until like two sims before the time of writing, so it's entirely defense and goaltending that got us up there, and Sparks was like a .932, which while seventh, was behind three goalies at .933 (two of whom are now behind Sparks), so no practical difference between that and being tied for 4th... he mentioned a guy who was like 41st in league scoring as leading our offense.

It's just a writeup for entertainment in a sim league so like not a big deal at all but I can see where's he coming from. And from someone on the team, Sparks is absolutely our MVP right now.

Realistically could every goalie have just been name-dropped as I had pointed out (defense led by "insert defenseman and goalie") with the generic statement, sure. Is it a snub, I don't think so really. Seems like the writeup for every team followed more of a template/standard format which is fair for a weekly article that needs to meet VSN standards of higher word count and formatting. Some mild differences from team to team which would explain a couple goalies not being brought up. Personally I don't think my goalie should have been mentioned at all as a leader defensively, he's playing pretty poorly.

And sure, the offense hasn't been carrying the team, you guys aren't doing the best there. But as I had mentioned, 2nd fewest shots faced (yet only 4th fewest GA) would make me personally praise the shit out of your defense. If I was writing 50 words about each VHL team, that's where mine would go for Malmo, especially with Stone and McFleury in the top 4 for team scoring.

3 hours ago, Spartan said:

Realistically could every goalie have just been name-dropped as I had pointed out (defense led by "insert defenseman and goalie") with the generic statement, sure. Is it a snub, I don't think so really. Seems like the writeup for every team followed more of a template/standard format which is fair for a weekly article that needs to meet VSN standards of higher word count and formatting. Some mild differences from team to team which would explain a couple goalies not being brought up. Personally I don't think my goalie should have been mentioned at all as a leader defensively, he's playing pretty poorly.

And sure, the offense hasn't been carrying the team, you guys aren't doing the best there. But as I had mentioned, 2nd fewest shots faced (yet only 4th fewest GA) would make me personally praise the shit out of your defense. If I was writing 50 words about each VHL team, that's where mine would go for Malmo, especially with Stone and McFleury in the top 4 for team scoring.

Yes, You are correct as I did/have used a basic generic statement/data collection point last/this week which was team GF & GA, while trying to mention one or two players from each position on each team so some teams have two players mentioned, some three and tops four; unless I mention traded players or my bias towards Vancouver!! LOL!!

Just now, Gaikoku-hito said:

Yes, You are correct as I did/have used a basic generic statement/data collection point last/this week which was team GF & GA, while trying to mention one or two players from each position on each team so some teams have two players mentioned, some three and tops four; unless I mention traded players or my bias towards Vancouver!! LOL!!

Nothing wrong with it, I think it's probably for the best if you're trying not to burn out writing this sort of thing every week. Just might have to pick and choose a tad bit better or even not be scared of criticizing more! I think a little more spice can never hurt if done well :P

14 hours ago, Spartan said:

Nothing wrong with it, I think it's probably for the best if you're trying not to burn out writing this sort of thing every week. Just might have to pick and choose a tad bit better or even not be scared of criticizing more! I think a little more spice can never hurt if done well :P

I'll fucking trash any sim player. At the end of the day, we actually have little control over how our guys play so if someone takes offense to me dragging them a bit, that's unfortunate but it's only a game. And I'd hope most people know I respect the hell out of everyone here. Especially newer players. But yeah, I think not mentioning goalies alot also helps avoid saying the same name every week. It's easy to name drop a goalie every week, they play 60 minutes a game.