Mock S66 VHL Entry Draft [1/2]

Renomitsu

nhl_draft_chicago-1040x572.jpg

Welcome to the S66 VHL MOCK Draft, Presented by the Unofficial VHL Scouting Network!

Hosted by me (Renomitsu) with plenty of help from rjfryman!

Want to make a mock of your own? Click here! This sheet, made by @rjfryman, will be updated shortly after posting to adjust for recent trades. This mock goes to 40 picks (4 rounds), when almost all picking teams are 3+ players deep at 3+ positions. Now with understanding of wing positions!

Round 1

1. Riga Reign :rig: – C Hunter Hearst Helmsley @Beaviss

HHH has the most TPE of any player in the draft and is one of only two players currently above 300 TPE. He'll crowd the Riga depth chart a bit at center, but gives Riga a lot of wiggle room and trade power. This pick gives the Reign a choice between dominating while fielding a very deep team, or building a team of young stars without sacrificing much current power. Another option is taking Shane Mars, and setting themselves up at a wing spot for a long time. Frankly, that may be the better option, provided HHH is Beavis's player and would likely leave for Vancouver after his rookie contract is up.

2. Vancouver Wolves (from Davos) :que:  - LW Shane Mars @Spade18

Mars is the perfect player to fill out Vancouver's LW spot; he'll get second-line minutes from the get-go, with a chance to start over Mulligan by the start of S67. He'll have minutes to play with centers Rauno Palo and Beau Loth, which should do wonders for his rookie season. If the Reign opt for Mars, Beaviss gets his dream fulfilled and can take his own player.

3. Seattle Bears (from Calgary) :sea: - LW Julius Freeman @rjfryman

The Bears need a left wing - not just for depth, but to have one at all - and Freeman is a no-brainer here. He's ridiculously active, just posted a VHLM mock draft of his own yesterday, and as a brand-new part of the Recruitment Crew, is as close to a guaranteed thing in this league as there is among first-gens. He's a slam-dunk pick for Seattle.

4. HC Davos Dynamo (from Vancouver) :dav: - RW Mikko Aaltonen @GRZ

Davos is a reasonably deep team already - but they'll want to set up for when newly-acquired S60 oldie Veran Dragomir and prime S62 draftee Ryuu Crimson retire. Aaltonen gives them this option, though he may not have minutes for a little while.

5. Moscow Menace (from New York) :mos: - C Jet Jaguar @gorlab

I doubt Jaguar plans on falling this far (nobody ever does), but he's the best option at this pick by a handfl of TPE, and gives Moscow an immediate second-liner at center. He'll sit behind S64 draftee Mark Gebauer for a little while, but will have a starting job waiting for him.

6. Riga Reign :rig: - LW Dimitri Volosenkov @SirRupertBarnes

Volosenkov fills a future and current need, as Riga tries to figure out their wings of the future. He'll take the second LW spot immediately, and the Reign probably look for another wing to put over inactive Kisshan Shan - that'll probably be VHLM standout Shawnomir Jagr unless the Nighthawks take him.

7. Malmö Nighthawks :mal: - D Jerry Garcia @GustavMattias

With this pick, Malmö picks up a first-pair defender for the foreseeable future. There are four left wingers between 200-230 TPE, so I think Advantage sees the value of a pick at another position of need here and takes Garcia. I also fulfill my daily quota of GustavMattias tagging with this post.

8. Riga Reign (from Seattle) :rig: - D Aron Nielsen @solas

Seeing Garcia picked at 7 will probably spur the Reign into action; seeing as they've got a ton of picks back-to-back-to-back, they elect to take the next best defender in Nielsen to set their second defensive pair for the next couple of seasons. Charlie Paddywagon is also an option here, but there's a 30+ TPE drop-off between Paddywagon/Nielsen and the next best guy. Riga will try to get a second D if they're available in the second round.

9. Riga Reign (from Helsinki) :rig: - RW Shawnomir Jagr @TheLastOlympian07 

Riga needs to fill out their wingers - at this point, they have two excellent starters in LW Randoms and RW Preencarnacion, but Preencarnacion is getting older and Riga would like to have a pair of active second-line wings waiting in the... well, wings. Preencarnacion has regression staring him in the face, and randoms is two seasons behind - so Jagr and Volosenkov could be playing starting roles on a competitive team in just a few seasons

10. Moscow Menace (from Toronto) :mos:G Owen May @FacebookFighter

Moscow need a goalie? They get a goalie. Now they're on to getting active wings and defensemen.

jesperi-kotkaniemi.jpg

Round 2

11. Moscow Menace :mos:RW Arnor Sigurdsson @bluesfan55 

The Menace could opt for a defender here just to get another active one on the books, but I think they opt for the highest-TPE pick here and go for Arnor Sigurdsson. He's very close to Shawnomir Jagr, but since there's a slight TPE difference, we'll say Sigurdsson goes here. The Wranglers get a little uneasy, as the last 250+ TPE winger gets taken off the board by a smart Moscow team.

12. Calgary Wranglers :cal: - LW Chico Smeb @xDParK

The Wranglers get sweaty palms after Arnor Sigurdsson is taken off the table, and opt for the next best wing in Chico Smeb. They're aware Kari Jurri is inactive, and while Valeri Morozov is another close-to-comparable option, it's a little ways down before you can find another good winger after him. Calgary also doesn't get another pick until Round 4, so they're more-or-less obligated ot take him now.

13. Riga Reign (from Vancouver) :rig: - D Charlie Paddywagon @DMaximus

This seems like a strange set of picks, but take a look at Riga's roster right now: they're going to be incredibly young at all forward positions with at least two solid lines for the foreseeable future and have a goalie coming into his prime. I think they go for one of the deepest defenses in the VHL, and two easy replacements for Bolt Vanderhuge and Cayden Saint in a few seasons. And yes, I love defense.

14. Vancouver Wolves (from Davos) :que: - G Clayton Park @leafssteen

The Wolves reach a little and try to find their goalie of the future in Clayton Park, who would start immediately. Other choices include Bert Meyers and Maximilian Kirbsson, but after Vancouver sees May taken off the board they simply have to take Park here. Seattle will be looking for a goalie to replace S60 draftee Tristan Iseult, and if Park & Bjoernsson are taken by other teams there is a lot of uncertainty past those two.

15. Helsinki Titans (from New York):hel: - LW Valeri Morozov @Dangles13

The Titans desperately need wings - they currently only have S63 star Julian Borwinn on the roster, and while that's nice, he can't play two positions at once on the ice as far as I can tell. The Titans score a much needed winger in Morozov, even with as tempting as taking Bert Meyers or Maximilian Kirbsson is at this juncture.

16. Riga Reign :rig:-  G Kolur Bjoernsson @jblock3 

I mean, what does Riga need at this point? They've got 5 wings, 4 of which are S63 or younger, 5 centers including HHH, and 5 defensemen, two of which they got in this draft. I think the Reign start planning long term and reach mightily for Bjoernsson, just to see if he pans out while Kriketers enters his prime. And maybe to cause some havoc - because there are plenty of teams with goalie needs.

17. Malmö Nighthawks :mal:D Codrick Past @Kylrad

The Nighthawks needs to fill their defensive need, and has a tough choice between Codrick Past and Apollo Hackett. It's honestly a toss-up at this point. This'll be up strictly to Advantage's personal preference, as Past and Hackett are within 3 TPE of one another. We'll assume he takes the 199 of Past over Hackett's 197.

18. Vancouver Wolves (from Seattle) :que: - C Bert Meyers @RunnerBert11

Meyers has the talent of a first-rounder, but crowding at the C position pushes him down to the mid-second. Vancouver gets an absolute steal, Meyers gets a chip on his shoulder, and things work out perfectly for GM Beaviss.

19. HC Davos Dynamo (from Helsinki) :dav: - G Jus Jaundice @Jus

This pick probably looks crazy. And maybe it is. But the gap between Jaundice and the next active goalie is nearly 100 TPE - and the Dynamo could use a better backup in a season or two. The Dynamo also have to have been terrified by Riga's selection of Bjoernsson early in the round - exactly as hedgehog planned. Jaundice's activity has just increased this week - so things are looking up.

20Seattle Bears (from Toronto) :sea: - C Maximillian Kirbsson @Kirby

The Bears get an absolute steal in Maximillian Kirbsson, and probably opt to swap him to a winger role. There are plenty of good centers in this draft, and just not enogh spots to let them start early. At this point, it's absurd how far he's fallen and the Bears shouldn't be coy about swapping his position.

Round 3

21. Moscow Menace :mos: - LW Kyle Sabertooth @uphillmoss

Sederstrom and Gruber are still options here - but Sabertooth has been incredibly active, and with three centers on the roster including this draft's Jet Jaguar, the Menace fill a more pressing need. They could opt for a defenseman here, but with this pick have their four wing spots filled with active players.

22. Helsinki Titans (from Calgary) :hel: - RW Aleksander Rodriguez @Jtv123

A bit of a reach, but Rodriguez gives the Titans what they need most, plus he's been pretty active. They could opt for a defenseman here, but honestly they need any players that can fill their second line's wing spots. They can afford to wait for a defender.

23. New York Americans (from Vancouver) :nya:RW Mat Tocco @Matmenzinger

Tocco will play an important part of transitioning on from the inactive Sven Hitz - assuming he's active, that is.

24. Riga Reign (from Davos) :rig: - C Ludvig Sederstrom @aleks

In every other season, getting a 200+ TPE player at pick 24 is an absolute steal. It's still a steal in this draft, because of positional needs from teams. Riga has more than enough centers, but could use Sederstrom as trade bait, or maybe if Anthony Matthews doesn't pan out to be a center of the future. Sederstrom may fume at this pick - and by most metrics, he deserves to be higher - but there were four centers above him in TPE and the VHL has plenty of center talent already. My guess is Riga asks someone to change positions - but where would Sederstrom switch to? He may become a second option at RW when Reencarnacion retires, or even a starter outright if Jagr or Volosenkov don't pan out.

25. Moscow Menace (from New York) :mos:-  D Apollo Hackett @Renomitsu

It's a little tacky to tag myself, but whatever. Hackett falls way further than expected, and lands with Moscow. He'll have a starting spot sooner rather than later, especially with Fitzgerald and Bronstein inactive, but it remains to be seen if he'll flourish like some of the higher-rated defenders in this draft.

26. Riga Reign :rig:LW Edgar Tannahill (gregreg)

Malmö get winger depth, and it's an incredibly-promising player in Tannahill. He has a fiery attitude, isn't afraid to smack-talk or voice his opinion, and will easily help set the tone in the Reign locker room if he would like. He has a chance to be a leader for his team from season one or two if he so chooses - but will this room of old heads and high draft picks let him?

27. Malmö Nighthawks :mal: - C Hans Gruber @TheFlash

The Nighthawks snag the last mid-to-high quality center in the draft for depth, and even though Sederstrom's picked 24th, this is still a steal. Advantage should be ecstatic if Gruber is still available here, but honestly provided the abundance of active centers in the VHL it's not unbelievable to see him fall this far. It just means he'll have a couple of seasons to shine like crazy later in his career.

28. Vancouver Wolves (from Seattle) :que: - D Rusty Shackleford @K1NG LINUS

Vancouver want to find players they can build up behind S61 vets Samuel Gate and Marvin Harding, and they'll get an active member (and a steal) in Rusty Shackleford.

29. Helsinki Titans :hel: - RW John Frostbeard @FrostBeard

A newer member that recently was appointed to a VHLM GMship, John Frostbeard would seem to have a future of activity underneath his belt. He's a consistent welfare-taker, and will be a solid addition to Helsinki's roster. Not only that, he'll get excellent second-line minutes behind Arnor Sigurdsson.

30. Helsinki Titans (from Toronto) :hel: - D Beau Buefordsson @Radcow 

The Titans currently only have three defenders -  they fix that by picking up new-blood Beau Buefordsson.

Round 4

31. Moscow Menace :mos:D Edward Vigneault @Patpou22

Moscow need depth at defender, and they get it with Vigneault. Lew Bronstein's TPE isn't going anywhere fast, and Vigneault will most likely be able to be an immediate starter if he chooses to come up; otherwise, the Menace are more than happy to watch him grow in the minors over the next season. He may, in fact, be a better prospect than Amberback - but it's too close to tell.

32. Calgary Wranglers :cal: - D Anthony Amberback @Oost

Defensive need? Defenseman given. Anthony Amberback rounds out the Calgary defense. I consider Vigneault and Amberback interchangeable at this point.

33. Moscow Menace (from Vancouver) :mos:- RW AJ Axelsen @littleboi

Moscow find themselves a steal with Axelsen, who's gained 52 TPE in the last three weeks. He's a regular welfare/MS poster and could have a chance at a regular backup or fringe starting spot in the future. Like most picks after round 3, he's a bit of a gamble - but a look at his activity history should be enough to sway the GM. They play with fire, but have the picks to take a gamble.

34. HC Davos Dynamo :dav: - RW Emil Passerelli @SparrowLTD

Passerelli is a bit of a gamble, since his TPE gaining is a bit limited from week to week. Davos takes Passerelli as insurance in case Svoboda or Warren go inactive - which is unlikely, but possible.

35. Moscow Menace (from New York) :mos:D Samuel Sparrow @Birdman

His activity is spotty on occasion, but Samuel Sparrow can be a nice fourth D-man, either as a future first/second liner or as a stopgap player depending on Birdman's activity. Frankly, his potential spans between multiple-season first-liner and two-season fifth D-man. I like this pick better than Parkey, who seems to have gone inactive. He'll be exactly what Moscow wants, and may be able to replace current defenders as soon as mid-late next season due to activity.

36. Riga Reign :rig: - C Rhys Chism @Jables

Frankly, I'm not sure what Riga go for here. Chism could be good trade bait as Reign continues to collect centers.

37. Malmö Nighthawks :mal:LW Cody Smith @cody73

The Nighthawks will be tempted to take another defenseman to round out both pairs, but with 3 between 85-105, and several more around 70, they elect to take some winger depth and hope for good defensemen next draft.

38. Seattle Bears :sea: - D Guillaume Fontenette @okocha5

Fontenette is nabbing around 12 points a week on average. That's excellent, especially for a 4th-round pick. Still, in my opinion, a better pick than Cody Parkey due to activity level in spite of the TPE deficit. His recent activity may end up putting him over Sparrow.

39. Helsinki Titans :hel:- LW Devin Gabella @Gabella19

Gabella is another pick at slightly above his projection, but he provides some depth to the Titans' winger spot and has been pretty active the last few weeks. I think the Titans take the dive.

40. Calgary Wranglers (from Toronto) :cal: - LW Dylan Doyle @zepheter

Doyle is another recently-active pick that fills a depth position for the Wranglers, and he closes out our mock!

Edited by Renomitsu
i'm dumb

5 hours ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

thanks for the mention. If i go in the 2nd round that would be quite the shock to the system both since i have almost 300 tpe but also a testament to teams drafting for needs rather than bpa 

Yeah - one of the weird parts of this draft is that Riga had five picks in the first round alone because of a yesterday's trade with Davos. You're absolutely right in saying that you're an obvious logical pick for the first round by the numbers (you're top 6 or 7 in TPE), but the hard part of this draft is that Riga already has two RWs before making a single pick, and Mikko is very slightly higher TPE. Malmo also already has 4 RWs, only 1 D, and 0 LW prior to the draft.

Edited by Renomitsu

It’s tough doing this mock drafts sometimes b/c I know I forgot sometimes that wingers are “interchangeable” but with the spreadsheet it just looks so much nicer when you fill in those LW/RW spots. 

1 hour ago, rjfryman said:

It’s tough doing this mock drafts sometimes b/c I know I forgot sometimes that wingers are “interchangeable” but with the spreadsheet it just looks so much nicer when you fill in those LW/RW spots. 

Whoops, didn't realize that was the case! I'd swap some wingers around in the draft above, but that would re-tag everyone.

Thanks for the help regardless - your sheet made it much more organized for me.

Edited by Renomitsu

1 hour ago, bluesfan55 said:

That’s a bit late for me innit

big steal 

Would definitely be. I put you there without realizing wing positions were interchangeable so you'd more likely appear 9th or 12th, depending on Riga's needs and who's preferred between you and Shawnomir.

I'm also too scared to edit the OP because it'll re-tag everyone lol

17 minutes ago, Renomitsu said:

Would definitely be. I put you there without realizing wing positions were interchangeable so you'd more likely appear 9th or 12th, depending on Riga's needs and who's preferred between you and Shawnomir.

re tag everyone. yolo

On 4/28/2019 at 1:53 PM, Renomitsu said:

Did someone say

TAGGING GUSTAV

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

55 minutes ago, Gaudette said:

Love how I'm not there but went 34th

Part of what comes with the mock draft is being wrong - I'm always happy to play the bad guy in that respect. Now you've got a great chance to show 'em who's boss and prove me very wrong.

• 4 weeks later...