38 NEW C - Josh Wilson 42 HFX CAN jDubzzz
39 Down 5 C - Scead Simmons 38   SWE Scead Simmons
40 Down 5 LW - Kaz Uzu 36   CAN Kazuzu
41 Down 4 C - Stray 34 YUK CAN Stray Games
42 Down 2 LW - Billy Kimber 34 HFX CAN Dingle
43 Down 4 D - Brett Ewing 32 SSK GER kegoo11
44 NEW RW - Callum MacElroy 32   UK GlowyGoat
45 NEW LW - Colum ODowd 32   IRE sour_chin_music

Hi VHLers and VHLMers, welcome to this second edition of the weekly draft rankings. Blues accepted my plea to add a member to my one man team (to be fair,@Beaviss was always really helpful with greeting and helping new members). @Sonnet will now help me with everything. Or he'll lead the whole thing and I'll stay in the back, enjoying my free pay. I don't know yet. Anyway, I'm glad I got a solid member to help me, now. I know he'll do an amazing job at it, I didn't recommend him for nothing. And the fact that I know have someone to help me a bit means I can be more regular with these weekly rankings and the general updates.

So, just like last week, I'll present to you a different aspect of the next VHL draft, and I'll do so every week, up until the end where I'll be doing elaborate mock drafts. For this week though, we'll start slow and we will establish what every team needs. This might future draftees visualize where they might be a better fit. I'll be going through the teams in the order that they might select players in the upcoming draft, reversing the standings upside down.

:dav: HC Davos Dynamo

Davos might be the worst team in the league right now, but they are headed in the good direction. They got key players at every position and pretty just need some pieces to complete the puzzle. Dahlberg, Randoms and Gonzalez will return on offense and will be joined by Madden, Baillie and McDavid, all getting promoted from the VHLM. On defense, they have Jokinen and Jerwa already with the team and both are still improving weekly. As for goaltenders, they might have the worst goaltender tandem at the moment, but Stoffiday and Davison are respectively in their 2nd and 1st season, meaning they both got a lot of time to improve and actually become great in time for the team's championship window. Even if one of them actually goes inactive, the other one will go on.

I'd say the team's biggest needs right now are a 1st-line center and one or two defensemen to add depth behind their current pieces. But, really, anything would help them.

:cal: Calgary Wranglers

The Wranglers are in a pretty bad position right now and will probably still be in that position for another season or two as they are merely starting their rebuild. Revchenko, Gebauer and Zajaczkowski are the highlights in their forward core and Diljodh will help them starting next season. This is a small group of forwards, but it is a good start towards great things. The future of their defense isn't looking as good, though. Baxter is their only active defenseman since Saint has been MIA for a month or so. Both are projected to be 2nd pair guys in the future. The one area in which the Wranglers are set, though, is in front of the net. Wahl is still improving at the same rate as he did in the VHLM and he should be their starter for years to come.

The team's biggest need is definitely on defense, which is a good thing because there a couple of good defensemen on top of the draft rankings (like Stropko Jr.) They're likely going to look at some forwards too, come draft day.

:nya: New York Americans

Things are finally looking good for the Americans. After a couple of rough seasons, the team's youngsters are starting to develop into a great band of players and they don't need much more to help them, as their window is opening pretty soon. They can count on 4 active forwards in Wilinsky, King, Ylonen and Zabby. Shawinganen seems to have gone inactive, but he'll stay as a depth piece, while Materazo will join the team next season and will pass him on the depth chart soon enough. McWolf and Sullivan Jr. are currently the team's whole defense depth, but they'll soon be one of the top pairing in the league for years to come. Parker will come up next season to help them. Kingfisher has been playing lights out for the Americans for 3 years now and he'll continue to give the team a chance year in year out for 5 other seasons.

I'd say the team doesn't have a current urgent need that they can assess through the draft. If I was the Americans (I kinda am), I would maybe try to package high draft picks for more players in their prime, to add some star power to this roster that's not too far from competing. And then, really, any skater they can get in the draft that will help the team in a season or two is bonus, as the Americans are currently the team with the shallowest depth in the whole league.

:hel: Helsinki Titans

The Titans find themselves in a strange position at the moment. Quik tried to kickstart their rebuild by signing some top-tier retiring free agents in Johnsson, K. Louth and Kane. Add that to their impressive core of future stars and they should have been a scary team. But they're currently fighting for a playoff spot and don't look like they can compete with the Reign. At the conclusion of this season, the 3 free agents will retire and the team will be lead by the youngsters once again, which will put the team in a situation à la New York Americans. Slipher, Borwinn, Bailey, Mulligan, Montgomery, Odinsson and Boucher will form a solid forward core, while Crosby, Wilson and Nano anchor the blueline and Pepper tries to bring back some WJC magic.

Just like with the Americans, I think the Titans are only a piece or two away from competing, and they won't find anyone ready for that kind of role in the draft. Maybe the best way to go would be send a depth piece and good pick to bring in a solid veteran.

:que: Quebec City Meute

Quebec needs is easy to assess. They need a better GM. But there are none available in the draft, so Beaviss will have to do for now. On a more serious note, the team should be competing now. They reach the S62 Continental Cup Finals, but couldn't repeat last season and they're not the favourites to get to the big finals once again. They have the fire power up front to do it, with Dragomir, B. Louth, Palo, Harding, Weyed and Svoboda. They can still count on Iseult to keep the net for a couple of seasons. But, once again, as it seems to be the case for a couple of teams so far, I think the area where the Meute needs the most help is on defense. They got Jones and Rayne retiring at the end of this season, leaving only Gate and Philliefan (currently in the VHLM) as active defensemen in their system.

Seeing as the team is in its prime right now, I'd suggest trading for a defenseman in its prime, but I think teams will continue to hold to theirs, as the defenseman market is scarce right now, so they'd better try to fix their needs via the draft.

:sea: Seattle Bears

The Bears are a good team in the middle of the prime competing seasons. They got a nice forward core of Thompson, Charm, Davis, Smirnov, Kovalev and Garrop. Their defense is gonna be hit by the retirement of Kiaskov, but they still have Malenko, Kovalchuk and Thunderfist behind him. Their goalie situation is set for a while with Sterling. They don't have any urgent need, but they would benefit from getting some depth on the wings and on defense. They don't have a pick before the 3rd round too, so they likely won't be picking anything that will be better than a depth piece before their cup window closes.

:tor:Toronto Legion

Seeing the Legion in 2nd positions is kind of surprising, but then again, it seems like that is the Devise method. You have picks, you trade away the picks for current stars and you try to win it all like this repeatedly. They currently only have their 4th pick this season, and their 4th pick the next season as well. I haven't been here for long enough to know if it ever worked, but I'll go ahead and say: whatever need the Toronto Legion has, they're more likely to assess it via trades and free agency than via the draft, so we'll stop this one right here.

:rig: Riga Reign

I'm incredibly tempted to just say 'Riga doesn't need a thing. They're the defending champions and look like they might repeat this year.' But it actually doesn't mean that they don't need a thing, so I won't cut it short. I don't really know how they managed to do that, but they got the best active roster in the league as well as the biggest prospect pool in the league. If the Reign continue like that, they'll have enough players to suit a B team and it would probably still be better than Davos this season. The problem now with the Reign is that their players get better and need bigger contracts and they won't be able to keep everyone. I don't know their plan, but I'd try to select, in the draft, players that would fill holes in the prospect pool after the next wave of promotions hits. Hard to say what it will be, so I'll just say that Riga will look to get players that grow slowly and steadily.

Spoiler

@Fire Hakstol @Tim @TacticalHammer @Eudaldkp @eaglesfan036 @Arch Stanton @Jad @jastep @Canadian_allstar @Viperxhawks19 @dgibs @Trifecta @speck1447 @Ryan Faid @Universe @Heckefar @nathan855mckay @Blades500 @Nizzx @lepavaa @Troix @Vijay Patel @Dallaszeek @Canucks23 @tjmckenna22 @Ckbruinfan @FBR @sboopy @Hawzy @Bated @Chesterfield @Skull @Maladus42 @Ninenine222 @Paul Wilkinson @kegoo11 @Chuck @Fevan @huntax0 @Gimmix @Gablae @Bonzaijoe @IgorPetrovic @murdockdm @Palmtoptiger @Foyboydahgoat @Brolaski @Halfchubfightclub @Harold McTaggart @Everlast73 @Bucky___lastard @btrav @Felixf21 @Jimmy October @Thomas Wilson @Gabella19 @MaceDouglas @mattymoo271 @Abdul Razzaq @Slappy1039 @SkeddaniusJunior @xsjack @Kuch9 @largenarbo @Szimanski @jrdwdmn @nawkturnal @Luke Allman @Erebrew @Chase Klein @NIKEJWN @Antone10 @Infernal @Dvich86 @HasekFan94 @oldmanfreeman @Sidhu @Prabh Ria @Jeffrey Wickersty @Bear @handfullofbubba @Snussu @Anthony Matthews @Consider_Me_OP @Hippie28 @BluObieZ @WhiteMocha @Bully22 @luke5299 @Woodsworth @smammy2ck @Kazuzu @Tak @Chicken Little @Scrogs @Dominic Brassard @OneBuffalo1230 @bucktown @hum0r_ha @nick_716 @tunedtorock @THS @Bushito @Sharkstrong @Gared123456 @jDubzzz @starboi @mu19mc2 @Sixersfan549 @Stray Games @rskinner2228 @Galdoblame @lfdorais @Sogarn @Goonie @Pekka Rinne @Jakob Kelob @Papa Bless' Memes @kotkaniemiisbae @Bagels @Mise @Penner9415 @DrunnkPANDAA @Mat Reimer @ziggyziobob @jacobaa19 @Dingle @sean @Marcel @MrCringleberries @Benson @Lightningyamasha @Panther10 @Pipe663 @cynftwproductions @The-OG-Of-Rivia @Peacock @ManualSamual @Cmk_ @Bandit @Scead Simmons @Kyler Kuzar @wuma @SpartanGibbles @Snowflyer @GlowyGoat @Mrhockey26 @Connor mcdavid @Mirgri

1 minute ago, McWolf said:

. If the Reign continue like that, they'll have enough players to suit a B team and it would probably still be better than Davos this season

4 minutes ago, McWolf said:

Davos might be the worst team in the league right now

9k.png?width=380&height=759

3 hours ago, McWolf said:

I'd say the team's biggest needs right now are a 1st-line center

Let's just forget Warren exists eh?

Davos might be the worst team in the league right now, but they are headed in the good direction.

Inject it into my veins

If the Reign continue like that, they'll have enough players to suit a B team and it would probably still be better than Davos this season.

Ok, fuck off

13 hours ago, McWolf said:

Quebec needs is easy to assess. They need a better GM. But there are none available in the draft, so Beaviss will have to do for now.

:louisck: