The Legend of Deathwalker

animal74

eOp8Q5F.png

legendofdw.jpg.96b2c9cd56c4948029cea99c10f82ec2.jpg

The captain sat alone.

Only hours before, he had played in his final VHL game. He scored his final point, an assist on the game’s first goal in a 3-1 loss to the Calgary Wranglers. At the game’s final buzzer, he was mobbed by his teammates but he quickly pushed through them toward the Calgary player leading a line of Wranglers to shake his hand. He and former Nighthawk teammate Brendan Telker embraced at center ice and then stood together to shake the hands of players from both teams. Drafted by Malmo only six spots apart in the acclaimed S77 Entry Draft, the two friends played in 432 regular season and 55 playoff games together, and helped Malmo win the Continental Cup in S79. As this was Deathwalker’s final game (Telker would continue to play in the playoffs with Calgary), everyone then vacated the middle of the ice and the Scottish giant then took a lap around the rink and waved to the standing and cheering crowd. 

Now, the locker room was empty except for the hulking hunched figure sitting by his stall. The dim moonlight hazing through an above window faintly illuminated the green jersey that had been his life for the past eight seasons. The sweat on his face dripped to meet the tears from his eyes and continue down his beard to the large “C” over his heart. This was it. The end of the line. But he couldn’t bear to take off the Nighthawk crest and leave the locker room. Not after all the hard work, the time, the blood, sweat, and tears. All the tears of joy and celebration after winning the Cup, all the tears of realization and resignation that trickled down his face right now.

And so the captain continued to sit alone with his thoughts.

Even though he hadn’t been the most productive offensively as some in his draft class, that was never his role or his goal. He was a physical specimen and a warrior. Someone who led by example, with heart, determination and no fear. He paved the way on the ice for his teammates through physicality, grit, and intimidation. He wanted the rink to be a hostile environment for the opposition. And in the blink of an eye, his career was over, but his influence will be felt in Malmo and the VHL for generations to come. He truly is a Legend.

Select accomplishments of Druss Deathwalker:

League

• VHL’s All-Time Leader in Hits (2882)
  • S79 Continental Cup winner
  • Only player in history with eight VHL seasons of 300+ hits (plus one in the VHLM)
  • One of two players to finish careers Top-15 in Hits and Penalty Minutes (Edwin Encarnacion)
  • One of four players with two 400-hits seasons (Simon Valmount, Phil Marleau, Theo Axelsson)
  • Top-7 in Hits every season
  • Led the VHL in Hits three times
  • Led the VHL in PIM, GWG once each, Tied for lead in SHG and Hat Tricks once each
  • One of six players to be named team captain 7+ consecutive seasons

Team

• Longest serving captain in Malmo history
  • Tied with Condor Adrienne for the most games played with Malmo
  • 1st in Malmo franchise history in playoffs penalty minutes and hits
  • 2nd in Malmo franchise history in regular season goals, penalty minutes, shots, and game-winning goals
  • 3rd in Malmo franchise history in regular season assists and points and playoff goals
  • Six consecutive playoff appearances (S77-S82)

In a schedule post-game press conference, Deathwalker read from a prepared statement to the gathered media:

As you can imagine, this has been an emotional night. It has been an honor to play in the VHL and for the Malmo Nighthawks for the entirety of my career. The game has given me so much and I look forward to giving back in the near future. 

I would like to acknowledge how proud I am of my team and individual accomplishments especially our Cup win in S79 and more recently, becoming the VHL’s all-time leader in career hits – both goals I worked extremely hard for and ones that I will remember for the rest of my life.  

I would like to thank and acknowledge my fellow S77 draftees for the inspiration and competition they provided for me over the years. It was a historic class of world-class players and I am proud to be part of this group. Special kudos to those drafted ahead of me and were on my infamous Hit List: 

Paul Atreides @Mr_Hatter, Reylynn Reinhart @Ricer13, Duncan Idaho @OrbitingDeath , Zeedayno Chara @Jubis, Brendan Telker @Telkster, Asher Reinhart @rjfryman, Roll Fizzlebeef Jr @TacticalHammer, Jan Hlozek @Bojovnik, Aurelien Moreau @Frank, and That Dude @Cornholio 

I would also like to thank the management of the Malmo Nighthawks for taking a chance on me and allowing me to grow and lead and a HUGE thank you to all of my teammates throughout my career. It was an absolute and unforgettable honor to be your captain for the last seven seasons.

First of all, that special S79 team that won both the Victory Cup and Continental Cup, a truly fantastic group that worked hard, fought for each other, made history and reached the ultimate heights together:

Artem Tretiak @Molholt
Arthur Dayne @Infernal
Brendan Telker @Telkster
Gunnar Odinsson @BOOM
Jacob Carson @jacobcarson877
Jakob Sosa @TMGSosa
JaredN Jr @jared
Kevin Wu @kevinscix
Kirishima Wakaro @Snussu
Muffbeav @.sniffuM
Scotty Kaberle @fromtheinside
Taylor Mourning @scoop
Tui Sova @v.2
Tyler Steel @tylerwest
Viktor Alexei Kamenov @BigTittySmitty
Zeljko Ranogajec @ColeMrtz

All my other teammates that made playing in Malmo such a pleasure:

Nathaniel Minion @Minion
Miroslav Tsarov @PadStack
Carson Walkers @Cwalker
Dabnad Shaw @Dabnad
Igor Molotov @Dom
Kevin Sterk @M1nT
Obi Adesanya @atw2592
Randy Marsh @oilmandan
Steve Eso @Eso
Woody McPine @HearnNation67
Addison McLaren @tcookie
Barry Taffe @Barry
Boris Tsezar @comrade cat
Bradley Buzzer @WereBuzzing
Chris Hylands @hylands
Eddie Dams @Eddie Dams
Eeli Rantanen @Jolline
Gino DiGiannantonio @pennypenny
Harkat Mulds @hylands
Kaladin Kvothe @DangerGolding
Kristof Welch @Juice
Marshall James Frostbeard @FrostBeard
Mason Jones @Masu Chan
Matt thunder @Matt thunder
Morgan Karlsson @Erik
Nikolas DAndrea @Nikdandrea34
Poopy Peepants @JardyB10
Rhys Trenton @DeeGoat
Sven Reikkinen @Devise
Thomas Price @Thunderidge

And the managers who believed in me:

@hylands
@STZ
@Dom
@Lemorse7

Thanks to the VHL for providing opportunities for people like me to play the game I love. And perhaps my biggest thank you and all my gratitude to the fans of Malmo who cheered myself and the Nighthawks on night after night. You are the best fans in the VHL.

To the relief of VHL players everywhere, the Legend, Druss Deathwalker finally hits retirement."

#NighthawksRising

Edited by animal74